Aren't the Norks dreamy?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Aren't the Norks dreamy?

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 am

Especially since I have recently gone into a Russian Revolution (and its results) reading rabbit hole-Anne Applebaum , Orlando Figes, Solzhenitsyn etc.

It is fun to see the NYT and CNN (among others) go full Walter Duranty over a pretty face from North Korea. Nice to see the tradition of NYT cowtowing and fawning over murderous dictatorships still lives on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/11/worl ... mpics.html

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/asia/kim ... index.html\

CNN>>>>"If "diplomatic dance" were an event at the Winter Olympics, Kim Jong Un's younger sister would be favored to win gold.<<<<

I guess if CNN and the NYT were the judge she would win the gold, not sure how many others would vote for her.

FWIW, it has been 20 years since I read Gulag Archipelago. My memory of it was that Volume 1 was a bit of a slog, but that Volume 2 and 3 were transcendant. I am about half done with re-reading Volume 1 and it is really good, much better than I remembered. Any book that starts with Gulag prisoners discovering and then eating frozen prehistoric salamanders has to be good.

Spock

Re: Aren't the Norks dreamy?

#2 Post by Spock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 am

It just dawned on me that the absolute funniest thing about NYT/CNN etc fawning over her is that she is "Kim Yo Jong, deputy director of the Propaganda and Agitation Department of North Korea."

She is a PROPAGANDA TPTB. Maybe she put a little thought into how to play NYT/CNN etc.

ghostjmf

Re: Aren't the Norks dreamy?

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Younger Sis certainly escaped the physical fatness gene.

Chloe Kim & family jumping up & down (after Chloe's near-perfect flying through the air) is very good publicity for the South, even though they emigrated from it.

But probably not playing in the North.