Quote of the Day... Perhaps the Century

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: Quote of the Day... Perhaps the Century

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:The 'laughing' emoji in response to Snopes being a reliable source is self-explanatory, and still isn't 'name-calling.'
And yet you still haven't explained what's wrong with Snopes's analysis, even though the Web site laid out in detail the basis for its conclusion. --Bob
And you continue to completely miss the point.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#27 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:32 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:The 'laughing' emoji in response to Snopes being a reliable source is self-explanatory, and still isn't 'name-calling.'
And yet you still haven't explained what's wrong with Snopes's analysis, even though the Web site laid out in detail the basis for its conclusion. --Bob
If you, as a fact checking ninja, rely on Snopes, you are so last century. No. Really.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#28 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:And yet you still haven't explained what's wrong with Snopes's analysis, even though the Web site laid out in detail the basis for its conclusion. --Bob
If you, as a fact checking ninja, rely on Snopes, you are so last century. No. Really.
Fine. Why is their analysis wrong in this case? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#29 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Fine. Why is their analysis wrong in this case? --Bob
Why is there analysis wrong in any case? I have had lots of arguments with people about Snopes. All I ever ask them to tell me is more than one case, in the 20 or so years that they've been operating, where they were factually wrong. I have yet to get an appropriate answer. I hear lots about how they're "biased," with no evidence other than they don't agree with Snopes' conclusions. In my opinion, Snopes is the closest thing to actual journalism that's going on these days, and I would be dismayed to find out I was wrong. Yet no one ever seems able to prove me wrong. If you have evidence that Snopes is wrong, or even biased, please provide it. Otherwise, STFU.

In this particular case, Snopes doesn't say that Trump is courageous, or that he's a coward. They just say the claim is unproven. Which is true. And as far as claims to the contrary, google "Trump eagle" or "Trump podium scared" and you'll see actual evidence.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#30 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:27 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:In this particular case, Snopes doesn't say that Trump is courageous, or that he's a coward. They just say the claim is unproven. Which is true. And as far as claims to the contrary, google "Trump eagle" or "Trump podium scared" and you'll see actual evidence.
Obviously I agree with you about Snopes. But I don't think the other two incidents show a lack of courage. Even the bravest among us can exhibit a "startle" reaction when taken by surprise, and that how I see the videos coming from those links. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#31 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#32 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:In this particular case, Snopes doesn't say that Trump is courageous, or that he's a coward. They just say the claim is unproven. Which is true. And as far as claims to the contrary, google "Trump eagle" or "Trump podium scared" and you'll see actual evidence.
Obviously I agree with you about Snopes. But I don't think the other two incidents show a lack of courage. Even the bravest among us can exhibit a "startle" reaction when taken by surprise, and that how I see the videos coming from those links. --Bob
Thanks on that. I'm surprised Mr K brought those up?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#33 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
You're welcome. I imagine he sees the videos differently than I do.

As for the Forbes article you linked, I read it as saying that Snopes should be doubted because they won't reveal who's doing the work behind the scenes, so how do we know we can trust the work. My answer to that is that we know we can trust the work because they show their work. In the example we've been working with, they link to the actual story and tell us exactly which parts of the story lead them to conclude the claim is Unproven. That's why I keep asking for the scoffers to explain how they reach a different conclusion. --Bob

mrkelley23

#34 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
When the WTC blew up, first responders ran TOWARD the explosion. When the bombs went off in Boston, first responders ran toward the explosions. There is such a thing as a startle response, that's true. But I'm just showing actual evidence, as opposed to suspect witness testimony.

Here is the responseby one of the Daily Mail's contemporaries about the article you cite.

I'm STILL waiting for one person to provide me more than one example of Snopes being factually wrong, or even empirically biased. If you've got it, please send it to me, because I want to know if I can't trust them. Every other news source, I can find multiple mistakes made, and/or multiple instances of empirical bias. Do you have anything for me? Feel free to comb through Snopes' website, to find falsehoods. I'll wait.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#35 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:16 am

I didn't think I would have to update this post quite so soon, but here it is. Here's Trump, talking about China's President Xi:
"He's now president for life, president for life. And he's great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot someday"
According to reports, that line drew an enthusiastic response from the fundraiser audience.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com