The kids are alright (political)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

The kids are alright (political)

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am

It looks like current events (not just in Lakeland) are inspiring students to action in ways we haven't seen before. I guess I'm not the only one who wants my country back. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

Re: The kids are alright (political)

#2 Post by jarnon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:35 am

Those of us old enough to remember Vietnam have seen it before.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 am

If they quit eating Tide pods, maybe. The jury is still out.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:18 pm

BackInTex wrote:If they quit eating Tide pods, maybe. The jury is still out.
Obviously Tide pods should be at least as difficult to obtain as decongestants. Or assault rifles. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Obviously Tide pods should be at least as difficult to obtain as decongestants. Or assault rifles. --Bob
Believe it or not, I'm O.K. with a little more scrutiny and diligence to purchase a firearm than a Tide pod.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Believe it or not, I'm O.K. with a little more scrutiny and diligence to purchase a firearm than a Tide pod.
If only more legislators felt the same way. Or acted as if they do. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Both Trump and the Republicans had been inching up in the polls lately, probably in large part due to him solidifying support with Republicans thanks to the passage of the tax bill. However, as a result of the school shootings, and, I think, more specifically the Republicans' rather callous reaction to it (accusing the students of being liberal/Democratic stooges) and the latest set of Mueller arrests, those numbers are again turning around against them. The upcoming special Congressional election in Pennsylvania on March 13 will tell a lot.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:10 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Both Trump and the Republicans had been inching up in the polls lately, probably in large part due to him solidifying support with Republicans thanks to the passage of the tax bill. However, as a result of the school shootings, and, I think, more specifically the Republicans' rather callous reaction to it (accusing the students of being liberal/Democratic stooges) and the latest set of Mueller arrests, those numbers are again turning around against them. The upcoming special Congressional election in Pennsylvania on March 13 will tell a lot.
Please go see your cardiologist. I'm concerned you can't handle all the excitement.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am

A liberal FB friend posted this:
When your children act like leaders, and your leaders act like children, you know change is coming...
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 am

jarnon wrote:A liberal FB friend posted this:
When your children act like leaders, and your leaders act like children, you know change is coming...
I haven't seen any. The news only shows a bunch of kids crying and demanding legislation based on their feelings and fear.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:59 pm

BackInTex wrote:
jarnon wrote:A liberal FB friend posted this:
I haven't seen any. The news only shows a bunch of kids crying and demanding legislation based on their feelings and fear.
I'm thinking there are an awful lot of voters who see the kids differently. And there are clearly an awful lot of voters who are willing to cast their votes based on their feelings and fear. We've seen the latter phenomenon in our country for decades. --Bob

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:13 pm

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#13 Post by jarnon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:04 pm

When you have to go back 2 1/2 years to find something that fits your narrative, then perhaps you should re-think your narrative.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm

BackInTex wrote:
When you have to go back 2 1/2 years to find something that fits your narrative, then perhaps you should re-think your narrative.
How about this one?. It happened less than two weeks ago. The gunman was disarmed by his unarmed would-be victims, who simply swarmed him. The good guy with a gun, on the other hand, got shot by the cops (he survived). --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:29 pm

This student may know how to get politicians' attention. --Bob

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 am

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
How about this one?. It happened less than two weeks ago. The gunman was disarmed by his unarmed would-be victims, who simply swarmed him. The good guy with a gun, on the other hand, got shot by the cops (he survived). --Bob
How does that story support yours or BJ's narrative?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#18 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:05 am

[quote="BackInTex
How does that story support yours or BJ's narrative?[/quote]

Will you stop facting, BiT.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 am

tlynn78 wrote:[quote="BackInTex
How does that story support yours or BJ's narrative?
Will you stop facting, BiT.[/quote]

I wasn't aware that BiT had done any facting in this thread other than stating his opinion about the high school students.

By the way, it appears that a whole lot more people (Delta, United, Enterprise, Bank of America) are listening to them than to the NRA.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 pm

silverscreenselect wrote: By the way, it appears that a whole lot more people (Delta, United, Enterprise, Bank of America) are listening to them than to the NRA.
I'm sure those kids are great customers considering none of them can fly without parental permission or rent a care for another 5 years.

It's going to work out nicely for Enterprise.

But since you seem to have all the facts, can you explain to me how NRA and its members are responsible for the Florida shooting?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote: By the way, it appears that a whole lot more people (Delta, United, Enterprise, Bank of America) are listening to them than to the NRA.
I'm sure those kids are great customers considering none of them can fly without parental permission or rent a care for another 5 years.

But since you seem to have all the facts, can you explain to me how NRA and its members are responsible for the Florida shooting?
Their political pressure has made it politically impossible, until now, to renew the nationwide assault weapons ban that would have kept that particular weapon out of that particular shooter's hands. --Bob

BackInTex

#22 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Their political pressure has made it politically impossible, until now, to renew the nationwide assault weapons ban that would have kept that particular weapon out of that particular shooter's hands. --Bob
So it isn't the fact that the students were killed, or why, or how they were killed, but what they were killed with that has your pantries in a wad? Interesting. If Cruz had used a handgun, you'd blame someone else? Who and why?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:41 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

So it isn't the fact that the students were killed, or why, or how they were killed, but what they were killed with that has your pantries in a wad? Interesting. If Cruz had used a handgun, you'd blame someone else? Who and why?
If Cruz hadn't had access to assault weapons, the bullet hits would not have been as deadly and fewer people would have died. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Their political pressure has made it politically impossible, until now, to renew the nationwide assault weapons ban that would have kept that particular weapon out of that particular shooter's hands. --Bob
If Cruz hadn't had access to assault weapons, the bullet hits would not have been as deadly and fewer people would have died. --Bob
But people would still have died. What number is the cutoff?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:11 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
But people would still have died. What number is the cutoff?
None of this is remotely acceptable. But banning assault weapons, as we actually did in this country for 10 years, is a relatively easy place to start addressing the problem. Some other common sense solutions are background checks prior to all gun sales, limited magazine sizes, and barring anyone on a no-fly list from owning a gun. Yet Congressional Republicans appear to oppose all of these measures.

I kind of like the way one of the kids recently put it to the politicians. Get on board with solutions. Or start preparing your concession speech. --Bob