The Modularity of Information #2

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

The Modularity of Information #2

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:26 am

Just chuckling about something.

When Bob#s said I didn't know anything about the Central Valley, did he base that opinion on extensive first-hand research?

Bob Juch

Re: The Modularity of Information #2

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 am

Spock wrote:Just chuckling about something.

When Bob#s said I didn't know anything about the Central Valley, did he base that opinion on extensive first-hand research?
He knew you didn't have any first-hand research.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 am

For someone who is giving the Bored a rest, Spock seems to be spending an awful lot of time on the Bored.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:22 am

This is the reading comprehension problem I was referring to. I didn't say I knew nothing about the Central Valley. I said that I didn't have an informed opinion on the specific factual claims set forth in Hanson's articles, and that his track record with the facts leaves me unwilling to rely on his claims without corroboration. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

This is the reading comprehension problem I was referring to. I didn't say I knew nothing about the Central Valley. I said that I didn't have an informed opinion on the specific factual claims set forth in Hanson's articles, and that his track record with the facts leaves me unwilling to rely on his claims without corroboration. --Bob

I think Spock is saying YOU said HE (Spock) didn't know anything... Not that you said YOU didn't know. Unless my reading comprehension is also lacking.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I think Spock is saying YOU said HE (Spock) didn't know anything... Not that you said YOU didn't know. Unless my reading comprehension is also lacking.
You're correct. I misread what he wrote which makes my snark embarrassing as well as misplaced. Thank you for the correction.

I don't recall saying that about Spock, but I'm not sufficiently confident of my memory on that issue to make that claim without going back and re-reading my posts in that thread. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This is the reading comprehension problem I was referring to. I didn't say I knew nothing about the Central Valley. I said that I didn't have an informed opinion on the specific factual claims set forth in Hanson's articles, and that his track record with the facts leaves me unwilling to rely on his claims without corroboration. --Bob

You're correct. I misread what he wrote which makes my snark embarrassing as well as misplaced. Thank you for the correction.

I don't recall saying that about Spock, but I'm not sufficiently confident of my memory on that issue to make that claim without going back and re-reading my posts in that thread. --Bob
Um so go back and reread it. Tada!
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

I'm at work at the moment. I had time to acknowledge that I was wrong and apologize for the unwarranted snark. Going back to check what I'd written before takes longer. --Bob

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:53 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:You're correct. I misread what he wrote which makes my snark embarrassing as well as misplaced. Thank you for the correction.

I'm at work at the moment. I had time to acknowledge that I was wrong and apologize for the unwarranted snark. Going back to check what I'd written before takes longer. --Bob
You did? To Spock? I must have missed that.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: Um so go back and reread it. Tada!
No, you're adding to what he wrote. He said he had time to do it, but he didn't say he did it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:44 am

BackInTex wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'm at work at the moment. I had time to acknowledge that I was wrong and apologize for the unwarranted snark. Going back to check what I'd written before takes longer. --Bob
No, you're adding to what he wrote. He said he had time to do it, but he didn't say he did it.

Ah yes, that reading comprehension thing again. :lol: :lol:

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

That's what he hopes for. When it fails, he disregards logic completely and projects an incorrect conclusion as fact.

Then if that doesn't work, he'll threaten you (with his mighty litigation skills) so you never post or challenge him again.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:23 pm

BackInTex wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

That's what he hopes for. When it fails, he disregards logic completely and projects an incorrect conclusion as fact.

Then if that doesn't work, he'll threaten you (with his mighty litigation skills) so you never post or challenge him again.
LOL - see my response to Spock in his ..:Oh, and not get insulted..." thread. Same idea.

flockofseagulls104

#14 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:24 pm

I've been taking a break from the bored. I've been looking in from time to time. Nothing's changed.
I've been here for what? Almost 20 years? I've long since lost all interest in the game show. I don't know when is the last time I watched even one question. I couldn't even name the current host, if it's still on. But I enjoyed the bored family, the joking around, etc, and I've missed it.

Since I know nothing about the show anymore, and care less about it, I got involved in the political discussions. I would NEVER post any opinions on facebook or any other social media like I did here. Recently, I accidentally hit like on a facebook item that made fun of liberals. I didn't even know I did it. Within minutes I got nasty and preachy comments from friends, family and several people I never even heard of. It is concerning. I used the bored to talk about my politics. Only here. I used to do it out of convenience, but nowadays if you have a political view someone doesn't like, they take it personally. And I'm not immune to that, which I'm not proud of.

But recently I just got fed up. My opinions are based on my experience and what I think is for the best for our country and our culture. When I was younger, I was a liberal, and I had disdain for republicans and conservatives before I understood the hypocrisy of the left. But it is nothing like today. There seems to be actual hatred. It is beyond sad. When I express an opinion and someone implies I am a racist, it infuriates me, because it is like they called me the N-Word. And when they apply that thinking to everyone who has that opinion, that is just like real racism, but there's not a word for it yet. But it exists all through our culture now, and it didn't when I was younger.

I just want to clear one thing up. I was not 'scared' of bob's threat. He can go ahead and try and sue me if he wants. It would show him for the foolish person he is. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I consider a lawyer who decides to devote a large portion of his time to insulting and trying to sabotage a duly elected official just because he doesn't like them an unethical lawyer. And it's just not bob. There are thousands of them, mostly in Washington DC. So sue me.

I got fed up because I've come to realize there is no answer. If one side has an opinion, the other side says it's stupid or dangerous, and the other way around. And it will go on and on. I will never convince SSS or bob or BJ or rev or anyone else that they're wrong about anything. I'm just tired of banging my head against the wall.

I don't know what I'll do from this point. Maybe I'll continue on the bored and join the Moratorium Lounge.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Don't be a stranger- occasionally, something interesting and/or fun is still posted here.

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:34 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: I will never convince SSS or bob or BJ or rev or anyone else that they're wrong about anything. I'm just tired of banging my head against the wall.
Well, Flock, I know you won't convince me, and I'm pretty sure I won't convince you, but I have a lot of fun here arguing with you and Spock and BiT and I would hope you enjoy clashing with us. You give as well as you get.

I am like you in some ways, in that I don't use Facebook or Twitter as a sounding board for political posts. Since I'm trying to keep my business prospects alive, I don't want to alienate anyone, so I accept almost all invites and read what they post but I keep my posts to film and book comments. Here, I feel I can be myself.

I'm not active on other political boards, even those that share my philosophy. There's not that much fun preaching to the choir (although I do read and enjoy some of the comments).

We've lost far too many people on this Bored over the years who just go away and, as you said, without the game, there's virtually no new blood. So, I hope you stay and you stay active.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com