A familiar face at the Oscars

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: A familiar face at the Oscars

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:No, that wasn’t yet public knowledge when she appeared on those shows. Her article on that experience was published significantly later. I suspect that if flock had made that connection, he would not have offered his attempted witticism. At least, I certainly hope not.

As for anyone who might try to defend the joke in light of that knowledge, understand that to some of us Jackie is more than just a name and a face on a screen. Some of us have met her in person and consider her a friend. So this isn’t just about what is or isn’t politically correct. It’s about making light of what will almost certainly be the most traumatic experience in our friend’s life. —Bob
So to wonder/guess someone is transgendered is to insult them? Wouldn't that imply being transgendered is "bad?" How very un-pc of you.
I think the "joke" that got people upset was the one about how the two women in the picture were the only two in Hollywood who hadn't been sexually harassed.
I was referencing Bob's comment about "Flock's jape," directly. I didn't hear anything about the one you referenced.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: A familiar face at the Oscars

#27 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:51 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
So to wonder/guess someone is transgendered is to insult them? Wouldn't that imply being transgendered is "bad?" How very un-pc of you.
I think the "joke" that got people upset was the one about how the two women in the picture were the only two in Hollywood who hadn't been sexually harassed.
I was referencing Bob's comment about "Flock's jape," directly. I didn't hear anything about the one you referenced.
SSS is correct about the jape I was referring to. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson