The 11th Annual Boney Awards--songs #60-41 for 2017

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

The 11th Annual Boney Awards--songs #60-41 for 2017

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 am

Today, Part 2 of the countdown...

60. BARTENDER-JAMES BLUNT
Album: The Afterlove

The singer who hit it big a number of years ago with "You're Beautiful" returns with this bouncy
number that I think holds up to repeated listens a lot better than his big hit did. Bad Word Alert!
If you're playing this at work or with young ears around, the F-Bomb is dropped.

59. ANYONE WHO KNOWS WHAT LOVE IS-SEAL
Album: Standards

Seal covers this 1964 Irma Thomas "hit" (it got as far as #52 on the charts) that is apparently very popular with
the folks behind the British Sci-Fi anthology series "Black Mirror", as it has been used in several episodes of that Netflix show
(sort of a technology themed Twilight Zone if you've never seen it). Seal does a nice version of this R & B ballad.

58. ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL-ADULT CINEMA
Album: Teaser Trailer

Pink Floyd certainly has a strong influence in this one. Singer bears more than a passing resemblence to Richard Wright.
Very well done...love the background vocals. BONUS: you can get a free download of the album-the link is below!

https://thisisadultcinema.com/free-music/

57.CANADA DRY-BARENAKED LADIES
Album: Fake Nudes

Another wonderfully agreeable melody from the Canadian popsters. I like them ALMOST as much as a frosty Molson :)

56. LONG TIME COMING-CHEAP TRICK
Album: We're All Alright

After all these years, these guys can still rock with the best. Robin Zander can still shred with that voice of his.
I mean, the dude is 65 years old!!!! Whoa!

55. LET ME FLY-MIKE + THE MECHANICS
Album: Let Me Fly

Much in the vein of their biggest hit, (the Gospel-like "The Living Years"), this is a powerful outing for the former Genesis
member and company. True, Paul Carrack isn't singing with them anymore, but new vocalist Andrew Roachford has a pleasantly
soulful voice himself.

54. DOIN' WHAT YOU DO-DELBERT McCLINTON
Album: Prick Of The Litter

This guy has been around forever...I mean, he played harmonica on Bruce Channel's 1962 hit "Hey! Baby" and gave John Lennon
tips on his harmonica techniques! He began his solo recording career in 1972, yet he has had exactly ONE Top 40 hit (1980's #8
peaking "Giving It Up For Your Love"). Nevertheleless, he is well respected among musicians and continues to make music. This
is a classy little understated R & B number.

53. HIGH HOPES-CARPENTER CASWELL
Album: Carpenter Caswell

Michael Carpenter and Allan Caswell join forces for some Australian Alternative country music. Or call it roots music. Or
Americana (except that, well...they're from Australia..) This one also carries some Springsteen influence as well. Ah well,
what's in a name. The only label that really applies here is "good".

52. MOONGLOW-DIANA KRALL
Album: Turn Up The Quiet

Picture this: late at night. Smoky cocktail lounge. Sound of clinking glasses. Singer at a piano, small combo on stage with
her, tip jar on top of the piano. Now the mood is set for Krall's rendition of this old standard.

51. GOOD TO CHANGE-ED ROLAND'S SWEET TEA PROJECT
Album: Alder Lane Farm

Off the second album from the Collective Soul singer's side project. It rocks. 'Nuff said.

50. BROTHER COMES HOME-DANIEL DOSS
Album: Praise The King

I don't listen to a lot of Contemporary Christian music, but every now and then I get exposed to something that
catches my attention. I don't remember where I first heard this, in a movie or TV show probably, but musically it floors me.
If your religious beliefs (or lack thereof) differ from the singer's, move on to #49 if you wish...no judgement from me either way.

49. WILDEST DREAMS-LISA MYCHOLS
Album: Single track

The second of FOUR entries on the list. Over a galloping backdrop, Mychols whispers the verses before opening up the vocal cords
and letting fly. It's utilized to quite good effect. The melody here is, typically for her, rock solid.

48. PLAIN JANE HEROIN-THEO KATZMAN
Album: Heartbreak Hits

Katzman equates love with a dangerously addictive drug. Not the first time that metaphor's been used, granted, but Katzman sells
it big time with his sadly soulful voice.

47. ADIOS-GLEN CAMPBELL
Album: Adios

The closing track from Glen's final album. Poignant to say the least. And this video....wow.

46. NOWHERE NOW-STEVEN WILSON
Album: To The Bone

Former mastermind of Progressive Rock band Porcupine Tree. To be honest, I've been playing catch up with the catalogues of P. Tree
and Wilson's solo output, as I knew virtually nothing of this music before 2017. If you like Prog Rock there may not be anyone
currently in the genre doing better work than this guy.

45. REMEMBER ME-THREE LEGGED FOX
Album: Watch The World

For those of you who like a little reggae with your pop, here's your entry. A good natured vibe runs throughout.

44. ON WITH THE SHOW-LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM & CHRISTINE McVIE
Album: Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie

2/3 of the singer/songwriters from Fleetwood Mac. The pop chops are still strong.

43. BLACK MUDDY RIVER-GREGG ALLMAN
Album: Southern Blood

Another great musician lost to us in 2017. This version of a Grateful Dead song draws on his Southern musical heritage
of Blues, Country, & Gospel and is sad and uplifting at the same time.

42. BAIT MY SOUL-JAMES A.M. DOWNES
Album: Prison Font

Easy pop tune with a terrific melody. But Beware..the F-Bomb is dropped near the beginning, so be careful who you play this around.

41. THE PERFECT SUMMER-PUGWASH
Album: Silverlake

This Irish outfit, led by the wonderfully gifted pop craftsman Thomas Walsh, always manages to score at least one entry on
my countdown every time a new album is released. Here it is basically Walsh working with Jason Falkner, a member of the much
loved Power Pop group Jellyfish among his other credits. If it were indeed a perfect summer, you would've heard this tune all over the place. Sigh...

The Top 40 is next...and I'll post songs #40-21 next Sunday, March 4th.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

mrkelley23

Re: The 11th Annual Boney Awards--songs #60-41 for 2017

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 am

Wow indeed to the Glen Campbell song and video. The chord structure in that song is amazing. And I love the video.

I scrolled through first to see which ones I absolutely had to listen to. Not sure what it says about me that the Glen Campbell song and the contemporary Christian song were the first two I listened to. :)

Now to go back and give the others a listen.

THANK YOU!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:26 am

Oh -- and I got excited to see an Asleep at the Wheel song on your list, but then I realized ...

I figured it out when you said it sounded like Pink Floyd.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

kroxquo

#4 Post by kroxquo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 am

Not a clunker here. I really loved the Carpenter Caswell song and the Glen Campbell brought me and my wife to tears (didn't help that I watched it two days after me dad passed away).

You forgot to mention that the club Diana Krall was singing in was filled with cigarette smoke. If that's not a "We need to be having sex right now" song, I don't know what is.

You're not kidding about Robin Zander's pipes, but Rick Nielsen's guitar work is still out of this world.

I'm not normally a reggae fan, but Three Legged Fox hooked me in.

Lisa Mychols is just my new favorite female singer and she looks half her age.

Pugwash sounds like Pet Sounds era Beach Boys if Jeff Lynne had worked with them
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:20 pm

kroxquo wrote:Not a clunker here. I really loved the Carpenter Caswell song and the Glen Campbell brought me and my wife to tears (didn't help that I watched it two days after me dad passed away).

You forgot to mention that the club Diana Krall was singing in was filled with cigarette smoke. If that's not a "We need to be having sex right now" song, I don't know what is.

You're not kidding about Robin Zander's pipes, but Rick Nielsen's guitar work is still out of this world.

I'm not normally a reggae fan, but Three Legged Fox hooked me in.

Lisa Mychols is just my new favorite female singer and she looks half her age.

Pugwash sounds like Pet Sounds era Beach Boys if Jeff Lynne had worked with them

Cheap Trick is one of my favorite bands..the last band I was in, many moons ago, was basically Cheap Trick Jr. We covered a ton of their tunes and were pretty zany on stage as well.
I'd say that since being married to Ms. Krall, Elvis Costello is not the "angry young man" his image portrayed him to be :P
Two more Lisa Mychols songs on the #20-#1 list.
Very good comparison on Pugwash. Head honcho Thomas Walsh has made no bones about his influences..mainly ELO and XTC, and of course The Beatles, who influenced the two I just mentioned.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck