OK, My Bored Reading Moratorium is Over-Because...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

OK, My Bored Reading Moratorium is Over-Because...

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:03 am

OK, I will stop with the 1 post threads and read the Bored because this is really cool, but also kind of scary.

I made my first post yesterday in "The Smoke of the Sioux" on the basic divisions of the Sioux.and within hours a commenter (my first), not only knew who I was, but also who (and how) my Great-Great was tied into the Minnesota Massacre.

http://thesmokeofthesioux.blogspot.com/ ... sioux.html

Look at the comment and note that it was made before I posted the "Family Connection" post-(which was a fun little post-with pictures).

http://thesmokeofthesioux.blogspot.com/ ... sioux.html

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

In a way, the comment sent shivers down my spine, because I realized that if I can keep it up, "The Smoke of the Sioux" has the potential to be something.

I test Google things related to "The Smoke of Africa" and my stuff comes up very high on Google results, which is not surprising considering the relative obscurity of the subject.

"The Smoke of the Sioux" stuff will contain more stuff that people will Google and if my stuff starts coming up high-things could get fun.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Even if it doesn't go anywhere, I have figured out over the last few years that I love to write and I have been trying to figure out a way to write about the Yanktonais (and the rest) for a long time.

It will certainly cut down on the time-wasting surfing of the internet. I don't know how the Running Iron guys-Jim and Craig-who each have their own active blogs and make a living besides, do it. However, as Jim said-the more you write, the more you want to write.

I have an infinite number of topics ahead of me just for "The Smoke of the Sioux" and when I mentioned to the wife and Spocklette that we might have (get) to take some Sunday drives to visit Sioux war sites and stuff, they got excited. P

I think when the time comes my ashes will scattered at Whitestone Hill. One of Louis L'Amour's forebears died there and when the Spocklette (then 11) and Littlest Spock (then 9) and I visited the site in 2012 the Spocklette said "I love the prairie wind." When she was born, I wanted to name her Wild Rose, but I lost that battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Whitestone_Hill

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have some land that is crying out for a research project-native prairie that has never been plowed, but always grazed-but now is not grazed.

I guess this is a long way of saying-My Heart is full.

mrkelley23

Re: OK, My Bored Reading Moratorium is Over-Because...

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 am

Congratulations, Spock.

I hope it works out well for you. It sounds like a fascinating subject.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Welcome back, Spock! We all missed you.

Glad you liked the story I posted. Hope it gets you some "street cred" with fellow frontier bloggers.

Whenever I read something about family history, I research it on geni.com. I've got some interesting hits and a lot of misses. I looked up your family tree a year ago when Spocklette needed help on a school project. I couldn't find what she was looking for, but I did trace all your ancestors. So it didn't take me long yesterday to find a story about Great-great-grandpa Spock and the Minnesota Massacre. (I had no luck with your other great-great-grandfather though). I love it when an original source matches family history. Makes me feel like Prof. Henry Louis Gates. And if it helped nudge you back to the Bored, all the better.

PM me if you want to see the rest of my research.
Last edited by jarnon on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm

OK, done with pleasantries, gloves off, back to politics ...

It's ironic that Spock's Scandinavian ancestors faced the same discrimination as today's immigrants.

Key quote>>> Progress towards Americanism went slowly from the Civil War to the World War. Recently (1937) a hysterical propaganda for Americanization has been conducted, a propaganda which, I think, has caused damage to the country, because it has created suspicion among different groups and erased much culture which should have been allowed to pass slowly in the American consciousness. <<<

And that's just prejudice from fellow Europeans. I can't verify it because the Indians weren't literate, but I bet they had their VDHs who railed against the newcomers who were turning their rustic paradise into a Norwegian slum.
Last edited by jarnon on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 pm

jarnon wrote:Welcome back, Spock! We all missed you.

Whenever I read something about family history, I research it on geni.com. I've got some interesting hits and a lot of misses. I looked up your family tree a year ago when Spocklette needed help on a school project. I couldn't find what she was looking for, but I did trace all your ancestors. So it didn't take me long yesterday to find a story about Great-great-grandpa Spock and the Minnesota Massacre. (I had no luck with your other great-great-grandfather though). I love it when an original source matches family history. Makes me feel like Prof. Henry Louis Gates.

Gee, thanks, I think-LOL. I didn't catch that it was you.

Yeah, of course I would like to see your stuff. My great-grandma Hannah Thorson is the one that nobody seems to find stuff on.

The Wrolson side is less well-documented in the Indian War. I think they were a lot poorer and thus less well documented.

For you and Mr. Kelley and others--The Spocklette is really drawn to Chemical Engineering. Her chemistry teacher in school (she is 11th Grade) encouraged her to apply for a prairie project internship that has a long pedigree locally. The professor is out of Chicago (with Minnesota ties) and studies purple coneflowers of all things.

I would like to sign my land up for his research in some fashion.

Little Spock, finishing sophomore year of college, applied for a summer job at the Soil Research Service. I hope they both get those jobs.

I have a funny family resemblance story that I will share later.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Spock wrote:
jarnon wrote:Welcome back, Spock! We all missed you.

Whenever I read something about family history, I research it on geni.com. I've got some interesting hits and a lot of misses. I looked up your family tree a year ago when Spocklette needed help on a school project. I couldn't find what she was looking for, but I did trace all your ancestors. So it didn't take me long yesterday to find a story about Great-great-grandpa Spock and the Minnesota Massacre. (I had no luck with your other great-great-grandfather though). I love it when an original source matches family history. Makes me feel like Prof. Henry Louis Gates.

Gee, thanks, I think-LOL. I didn't catch that it was you.

Yeah, of course I would like to see your stuff. My great-grandma Hannah Thorson is the one that nobody seems to find stuff on.

The Wrolson side is less well-documented in the Indian War. I think they were a lot poorer and thus less well documented.

For you and Mr. Kelley and others--The Spocklette is really drawn to Chemical Engineering. Her chemistry teacher in school (she is 11th Grade) encouraged her to apply for a prairie project internship that has a long pedigree locally. The professor is out of Chicago (with Minnesota ties) and studies purple coneflowers of all things.

I would like to sign my land up for his research in some fashion.

Little Spock, finishing sophomore year of college, applied for a summer job at the Soil Research Service. I hope they both get those jobs.

I have a funny family resemblance story that I will share later.
I was going to be a chemist until I found computers are more fun.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

christie1111
11:11

#7 Post by christie1111 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm

I 3 of our 8 or so engineers are women.

Lot's of variety in what you eventually end up in.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:43 pm

jarnon wrote:OK, done with pleasantries, gloves off, back to politics ...

It's ironic that Spock's Scandinavian ancestors faced the same discrimination as today's immigrants.

Key quote>>> Progress towards Americanism went slowly from the Civil War to the World War. Recently (1937) a hysterical propaganda for Americanization has been conducted, a propaganda which, I think, has caused damage to the country, because it has created suspicion among different groups and erased much culture which should have been allowed to pass slowly in the American consciousness. <<<

And that's just prejudice from fellow Europeans. I can't verify it because the Indians weren't literate, but I bet they bad their VDHs who railed against the newcomers who were turning their rustic paradise into a Norwegian slum.
Well, if those VDH's were Sioux, they turned out to be pretty right-LOL.