Game #179: The Name of the Movie

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

Re: Game #179: The Name of the Movie

#26 Post by franktangredi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:11 am

frogman042 wrote:99. For a brief period in the late 50s – early 60s, this American was the highest paid movie star in Europe. (Why?)

Could this be Elvis Presley when he was in the army?
I don't want there to be any ambiguity about this. I'm referring to an American receiving a salary for European films, not a highly paid American who just happened to be in Europe.
Last edited by franktangredi on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

franktangredi

#27 Post by franktangredi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:13 am

frogman042 wrote:
Also, Richard Farnsworth is given twice - I think 33 is wrong and 63 is correct.
Oops, missed that one! You're correct. (I will say that #33 is probably the hardest one on the list.)

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#28 Post by frogman042 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:13 am

83. In 1934, this actor took on a classic role that would later be played by – among others – Arturo de Cordova, Jean Marais, and the actor in Clue #29 (who, presumably, kept his clothes on.)

Since 29 is Jim Caviezel it is probably The Count of Monte Cristo where he played the count in the recent remake - does anyone know who played Edmond in the 1934 version?

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#29 Post by frogman042 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 am

9. In a 1998 movie, this actor played the lover of a real-life woman another of whose lovers – sort of – had been played 59 years earlier by an actor in one of the preceding clues. Got that?

Not many actors preceding that would have been in a 1939 film other than Errol Flynn - so it is most likely the The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Queen Elizabeth in 1998 - it's got to be Shakespeare in Love - Judi Dench, but have no clue who played her lover in that film.

mellytu74

#30 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:09 pm

franktangredi wrote:
frogman042 wrote:99. For a brief period in the late 50s – early 60s, this American was the highest paid movie star in Europe. (Why?)

Could this be Elvis Presley when he was in the army?
I don't want there to be any ambiguity about this. I'm referring to an American receiving a salary for European films, not a highly paid American who just happened to be in Europe.
So we may be looking for someone like Steve Reeves or some other sword and sandals type
Last edited by mellytu74 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mellytu74

#31 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:24 pm

frogman042 wrote:9. In a 1998 movie, this actor played the lover of a real-life woman another of whose lovers – sort of – had been played 59 years earlier by an actor in one of the preceding clues. Got that?

Not many actors preceding that would have been in a 1939 film other than Errol Flynn - so it is most likely the The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Queen Elizabeth in 1998 - it's got to be Shakespeare in Love - Judi Dench, but have no clue who played her lover in that film.
Could it be Elizabeth and NOT Shakespeare in Love? IIRC, Blanchett and Dench were both nominated for playing the same role in different movies.

Joseph Fiennes played Lord Dudley to Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#32 Post by Estonut » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 pm

mellytu74 wrote:If #1 is the fifth star at Grauman's, than I am pretty certain it's HAROLD LLOYD (with the signature glasses)
That's probably who Frank meant, but his signature glasses are drawn, not an impression of them stuck into the wet cement.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mellytu74

#33 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Estonut wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:If #1 is the fifth star at Grauman's, than I am pretty certain it's HAROLD LLOYD (with the signature glasses)
That's probably who Frank meant, but his signature glasses are drawn, not an impression of them stuck into the wet cement.
Yeah - it's pretty clear from the picture of the cement slab that the glasses are drawn. I don't think anyone meant an actual pair of glasses embedded in the cement.

mellytu74

#34 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 pm

33. After making his debut in a non-speaking role as a body builder in a beach movie, he – quite appropriately – worked as an animal trainer and wrangler for Walt Disney Studios.

OK - based on "animal" names - my complete shot in the dark. Grizzly Adams. So, DAN HAGGERTY????

I am watching the Montana Grizzlies play the Michigan Wolverines in basketball. And I knew it could not be Hugh Jackman. :D :D :lol: :lol: (Of course it may not be Dan Haggerty, either -- :lol: :lol: :lol: )

franktangredi

#35 Post by franktangredi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Estonut wrote:
The article I read specifically said "imprints," so I may have had some bad information. At any rate, it is Harold Lloyd.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#36 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:26 am

mellytu74 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Yeah - it's pretty clear from the picture of the cement slab that the glasses are drawn. I don't think anyone meant an actual pair of glasses embedded in the cement.
I didn't mean embedded in the cement, either. I thought he meant an impression of the signature items, as they have of Sonja Henie's skates, George Burns' cigar, guns for William S. Hart and Roy Rogers and horseshoe prints for Trigger and a few other horses.

This is as opposed to drawn objects such as Harold Lloyd's glasses and Harpo Marx' harp (in miniature).
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Pastor Fireball

#37 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:22 am

As is usually the case when Frank does a movie game involving actors, I look for whoever has done the fewest films and try to make something of those titles. It appears as though Bobby Van has the most limited filmography, with only eight film roles to his credit (nine if you count the short film The Lion Roars Again):

Because You're Mine
Doomsday Machine
Kiss Me Kate
Lost Horizon
Skirts Ahoy!
Small Town Girl
The Affairs of Dobie Gillis
The Navy vs. the Night Monsters

The title of this game seems to imply that there is a name element to the Tangredi. There are two there, and each one has its own possible garden path. Kiss Me Kate, of course, was based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. The Affairs of Dobie Gillis later inspired a TV sitcom.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

jarnon

#38 Post by jarnon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:44 pm

Updated consolidation …

Identify the 110 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, them into 38 pairs and 17 triples according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Twelve actors will be used twice and one actor will be used six times.

1. HAROLD LLOYD

2. “There's a big difference. Ale's sort of fermented on the top or something, and beer's fermented on the bottom, or maybe it's the other way around. There's no similarity at all. You see, the trouble with being descended from a brewer, no matter how long ago he brewed it, or whatever you call it, you're supposed to know all about something you don't give a hoot about.”
HENRY FONDA

3. Since 1995, he has been nominated for the Oscar three times as an actor and four times as a producer, winning once in the latter category.
CLINT EASTWOOD? BRAD PITT?

4. DORIS DAY
5. ERROL FLYNN
6. STEVE CARELL
7. GIANCARLO GIANINNI
8. BETTE DAVIS

9. In a 1998 movie, this actor played the lover of a real-life woman another of whose lovers – sort of – had been played 59 years earlier by an actor in one of the preceding clues. Got that?
JOSEPH FIENNES

10. KEVIN SPACEY
11. BRIAN DONLEVY
12. ANNETTE BENING
13. CEDRIC HARDWICKE
14. JACK BLACK
15. WALLACE BEERY
16. PETER SELLERS
17. TONI COLLETTE
18. CHARLES LAUGHTON
19. JACK BENNY
20. MICHAEL J. FOX

21. A good friend of Amelia Earhart, this actress flew solo across the United States several times and sponsored an annual air race that bore her name.
KATHERINE HEPBURN?

22. “If we're not gonna make it, it's gotta be you that gets out, cause I'm not capable. I'm f**king Irish, I'll deal with something being wrong for the rest of my life.”

23. EDDIE CANTOR

24. “He is always very depressed. I think that if he'd been a successful criminal, he would have felt better. You know, he never made the 'ten most wanted' list. It's very unfair voting; it's who you know.”
JANET MARGOLIN?

25. JOAN FONTAINE

26. “Pazuzu, king of the evil spirits of the air, help me to find Kokumo!”
RICHARD BURTON?

27. OLIVIA DeHAVILAND
28. DEBBIE REYNOLDS
29. JIM CAVIEZEL
30. BURT LANCASTER
31. COLIN FARRELL

32. “I wouldn't marry you if you were young, which you can't be … if you were honest, which you never were … and if you were about to die tomorrow, which is too much to hope for!”

33. After making his debut in a non-speaking role as a body builder in a beach movie, he – quite appropriately – worked as an animal trainer and wrangler for Walt Disney Studios.
DAN HAGGERTY?

34. PAUL MUNI
35. GERARD DEPARDEIU
36. EDWARD ARNOLD

37. Describing a much-publicized motorcycle accident, this actor said, “It knocked a big hole in my skull, which filled with bone from my jaw.” Yowza.
STEVE MCQUEEN? JOE E. BROWN? GIG YOUNG? GARY BUSEY?

38. MICHAEL KEATON

39. He was the first actor to win five Emmy awards, all for the same role.
CARROLL O' CONNOR? EDWARD ASNER? DON KNOTTS?

40. SEAN CONNERY
41. JAMIE FOXX
42. CHARLES BRONSON

43. In 1961, when she signed a five-year contract to do a sitcom, former co-star Burt Lancaster warned her it was a big mistake. (It wasn’t.)
IRENE RYAN? SHIRLEY BOOTH?

44. JEREMY IRONS
45. HELEN SLATER
46. MICHAEL CAINE
47. BOBBY VAN

48. “Every piece of this is man's bullsh*t. They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!'”

49. NATALIE WOOD
50. WILLIAM POWELL

51. In the film referenced in Clue #45, he played the father of the actress who is the answer to that clue.
SIMON WARD or DAVID HEALY

52. SIDNEY POITIER
53. GARY COOPER
54. LEO McKERN
55. AL PACINO
56. MERYL STREEP
57. ANNA NAEGLE
58. IONE SKYE

59. This British actress has played the mother of the actor in one of the preceding clues and the wife of the actor in another.

60. “I've been called many names over many lifetimes. I am born of death. I was there to spark and fan the flame of man's awakening, to spin the wheel of civilization. And when the forest would grow rank and needed clearing for new growth, I was there to set it ablaze.”

61. For a time, she was both the shortest adult actor to win an Oscar – beating out Josephine Hull – and the second oldest actor to win an Oscar – surpassed only by Josephine Hull.
RUTH GORDON?

62. ANNE BAXTER
63. RICHARD FARNSWORTH
64. MOLLY RINGWALD
65. JASON ROBARDS
66. DENZEL WASHINGTON
67. SUSAN HAYWARD
68. TOM HANKS
69. LIV ULLMAN
70. JENNIFER ANISTON

71. To date, this actor has presented the Oscar for Best Picture a record eight times.
JACK NICHOLSON?

72. JOEL McCREA
73. ROBERT STEPHENS
74. JOHN MALKOVICH
75. FREDRIC MARCH
76. DONALD SUTHERLAND
77. ALAN ALDA
78. RODNEY DANGERFIELD
79. TERENCE HILL
80. KIM NOVAK
81. PETER USTINOV
82. GEORGE SEGAL

83. In 1934, this actor took on a classic role that would later be played by – among others – Arturo de Cordova, Jean Marais, and the actor in Clue #29 (who, presumably, kept his clothes on.)
ROBERT DONAT

84. PAT O'BRIEN
85. HELEN HAYES
86. DANNY DeVITO
87. ELLEN DeGENERES
88. EDWARD JAMES OLMOS

89. The bob cut that Vidal Sassoon created for this actress became a fashion sensation and is still associated with her name.
NANCY KWAN

90. JOHN HEARD
91. GENE TIERNEY
92. JOE PESCI

93. She is the daughter of a man who received an Oscar nomination for directing a film referenced in one of the clues above, and had a long relationship with a man who received Oscar nominations for directing and writing a film referenced in another one of the clues above. Got that?
MIA FARROW?

94. BRADLEY COOPER

95. This actor’s best movie was sandwiched between his cameo in Around the World in 80 Days and his cameo in It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.
MIKE MAZURKI?

96. JEAN ARTHUR

97. In 1935, this actor played one of the ‘umblest characters in English literature – just ask him.
ROLAND YOUNG

98. “You know something Fantan? This world is so full of crap, a man's gonna get into it sooner or later whether he's careful or not.”
PAUL NEWMAN?

99. For a brief period in the late 50s – early 60s, this American was the highest paid movie star in Europe. (Why?)

100. JANE FONDA
101. JEAN SIMMONS

102. “Guys, uh, what exactly does third base feel like?”
JASON BIGGS?

103. ROBERT REDFORD
104. CHARLES COBURN
105. ISABELLE ADJANI
106. WILL SMITH
107. GLENDA JACKSON
108. MARLON BRANDO
109. DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR.
110. JIMMY STEWART
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#39 Post by franktangredi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:
jarnon wrote:95. This actor’s best movie was sandwiched between his cameo in Around the World in 80 Days and his cameo in It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.
I'm not sure if it's correct, but MIKE MAZURKI was in Some Like It Hot between those two other movies.
I overlooked Mike Mazurki being in Around the World in 80 Days. Oddly enough, you could substitute another name and everything else in the above sentence would be correct.

franktangredi

#40 Post by franktangredi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:01 pm

All the definites arre correct.

Two of the answers with a question mark are incorrect. One of them is covered in my immediately preceding post.

All of the ones with alternate answers include the correct answer. In one case, one of the wrong answers suggested is the correct answer to one of the other questions. (See above.)

jarnon wrote:Updated consolidation …

Identify the 110 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, them into 38 pairs and 17 triples according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Twelve actors will be used twice and one actor will be used six times.

1. HAROLD LLOYD

2. “There's a big difference. Ale's sort of fermented on the top or something, and beer's fermented on the bottom, or maybe it's the other way around. There's no similarity at all. You see, the trouble with being descended from a brewer, no matter how long ago he brewed it, or whatever you call it, you're supposed to know all about something you don't give a hoot about.”
HENRY FONDA

3. Since 1995, he has been nominated for the Oscar three times as an actor and four times as a producer, winning once in the latter category.
CLINT EASTWOOD? BRAD PITT?

4. DORIS DAY
5. ERROL FLYNN
6. STEVE CARELL
7. GIANCARLO GIANINNI
8. BETTE DAVIS

JOSEPH FIENNES

10. KEVIN SPACEY
11. BRIAN DONLEVY
12. ANNETTE BENING
13. CEDRIC HARDWICKE
14. JACK BLACK
15. WALLACE BEERY
16. PETER SELLERS
17. TONI COLLETTE
18. CHARLES LAUGHTON
19. JACK BENNY
20. MICHAEL J. FOX

21. A good friend of Amelia Earhart, this actress flew solo across the United States several times and sponsored an annual air race that bore her name.
KATHERINE HEPBURN?

22. “If we're not gonna make it, it's gotta be you that gets out, cause I'm not capable. I'm f**king Irish, I'll deal with something being wrong for the rest of my life.”

23. EDDIE CANTOR

24. “He is always very depressed. I think that if he'd been a successful criminal, he would have felt better. You know, he never made the 'ten most wanted' list. It's very unfair voting; it's who you know.”
JANET MARGOLIN?

25. JOAN FONTAINE

26. “Pazuzu, king of the evil spirits of the air, help me to find Kokumo!”
RICHARD BURTON?

27. OLIVIA DeHAVILAND
28. DEBBIE REYNOLDS
29. JIM CAVIEZEL
30. BURT LANCASTER
31. COLIN FARRELL

32. “I wouldn't marry you if you were young, which you can't be … if you were honest, which you never were … and if you were about to die tomorrow, which is too much to hope for!”

DAN HAGGERTY?

34. PAUL MUNI
35. GERARD DEPARDEIU
36. EDWARD ARNOLD

37. Describing a much-publicized motorcycle accident, this actor said, “It knocked a big hole in my skull, which filled with bone from my jaw.” Yowza.

38. MICHAEL KEATON

39. He was the first actor to win five Emmy awards, all for the same role.
CARROLL O' CONNOR? EDWARD ASNER? DON KNOTTS?

40. SEAN CONNERY
41. JAMIE FOXX
42. CHARLES BRONSON

43. In 1961, when she signed a five-year contract to do a sitcom, former co-star Burt Lancaster warned her it was a big mistake. (It wasn’t.)
IRENE RYAN? SHIRLEY BOOTH?

44. JEREMY IRONS
45. HELEN SLATER
46. MICHAEL CAINE
47. BOBBY VAN

48. “Every piece of this is man's bullsh*t. They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!'”

49. NATALIE WOOD
50. WILLIAM POWELL

51. In the film referenced in Clue #45, he played the father of the actress who is the answer to that clue.
SIMON WARD or DAVID HEALY

52. SIDNEY POITIER
53. GARY COOPER
54. LEO McKERN
55. AL PACINO
56. MERYL STREEP
57. ANNA NAEGLE
58. IONE SKYE

59. This British actress has played the mother of the actor in one of the preceding clues and the wife of the actor in another.

60. “I've been called many names over many lifetimes. I am born of death. I was there to spark and fan the flame of man's awakening, to spin the wheel of civilization. And when the forest would grow rank and needed clearing for new growth, I was there to set it ablaze.”

61. For a time, she was both the shortest adult actor to win an Oscar – beating out Josephine Hull – and the second oldest actor to win an Oscar – surpassed only by Josephine Hull.
RUTH GORDON?

62. ANNE BAXTER
63. RICHARD FARNSWORTH
64. MOLLY RINGWALD
65. JASON ROBARDS
66. DENZEL WASHINGTON
67. SUSAN HAYWARD
68. TOM HANKS
69. LIV ULLMAN
70. JENNIFER ANISTON

71. To date, this actor has presented the Oscar for Best Picture a record eight times.
JACK NICHOLSON?

72. JOEL McCREA
73. ROBERT STEPHENS
74. JOHN MALKOVICH
75. FREDRIC MARCH
76. DONALD SUTHERLAND
77. ALAN ALDA
78. RODNEY DANGERFIELD
79. TERENCE HILL
80. KIM NOVAK
81. PETER USTINOV
82. GEORGE SEGAL

ROBERT DONAT

84. PAT O'BRIEN
85. HELEN HAYES
86. DANNY DeVITO
87. ELLEN DeGENERES
88. EDWARD JAMES OLMOS

89. The bob cut that Vidal Sassoon created for this actress became a fashion sensation and is still associated with her name.
NANCY KWAN

90. JOHN HEARD
91. GENE TIERNEY
92. JOE PESCI

93. She is the daughter of a man who received an Oscar nomination for directing a film referenced in one of the clues above, and had a long relationship with a man who received Oscar nominations for directing and writing a film referenced in another one of the clues above. Got that?
MIA FARROW?

94. BRADLEY COOPER

95. This actor’s best movie was sandwiched between his cameo in Around the World in 80 Days and his cameo in It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.
MIKE MAZURKI?

96. JEAN ARTHUR

97. In 1935, this actor played one of the ‘umblest characters in English literature – just ask him.
ROLAND YOUNG

98. “You know something Fantan? This world is so full of crap, a man's gonna get into it sooner or later whether he's careful or not.”
PAUL NEWMAN?

99. For a brief period in the late 50s – early 60s, this American was the highest paid movie star in Europe. (Why?)

100. JANE FONDA
101. JEAN SIMMONS

102. “Guys, uh, what exactly does third base feel like?”
JASON BIGGS?

103. ROBERT REDFORD
104. CHARLES COBURN
105. ISABELLE ADJANI
106. WILL SMITH
107. GLENDA JACKSON
108. MARLON BRANDO
109. DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR.
110. JIMMY STEWART

mellytu74

#41 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:20 pm

franktangredi wrote:

All of the ones with alternate answers include the correct answer. In one case, one of the wrong answers suggested is the correct answer to one of the other questions. (See above.)

Pastor got the movie.... Some Like It Hot.

95. is JOE E BROWN. Some Like It Hot.

Pastor Fireball

#42 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am

We seem to be at an impasse in this game, so I'll try to rekindle everybody's interest by picking off some of the unanswered clues.

MATT DAMON in The Departed

CHARLOTTE HENRY in the original Babes in Toyland

RENEE ZELLWEGER in Cold Mountain

OSCAR ISAAC in X-Men: Apocalypse

I'm seeing more connecting films that have first and last names in their titles. Charlotte Henry was in The Return of Jimmy Valentine, Renee Zellweger did the Bridget Jones movies, Oscar Isaac was in Inside Llewyn Davis. I'm not sure yet on how to structure such matches, though.
Last edited by Pastor Fireball on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#43 Post by frogman042 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Pastor noted that Bobby Van has a limited number of credits, including Dobie Gillis - neither Dobie nor Gillis have a lot of links, but there is an actress named Tammy Gillis - Tammy of course would lead to Debbie Reynolds.

Could it be that we take a movie each actor is in that has a name in in the title, then make a match of those names in a title to form another actor either 2 names or 3 names?

28. Debbie Reynolds - Tammy and the Bachelor, 47. Bobby Van - The Affairs of Dobie Gillis = Tammy Gillis

franktangredi

#44 Post by franktangredi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:59 pm

A word of encouragement: you are circling around the Tangredi, and several movies that have been cited will play a role in the matches. The formula, when you find it, will be quite simple.

Don't forget that some matches involve two actors and some involve three. I could have gone for more than three in some cases, but I had to put a limit on it.

silverscreenselect

#45 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:43 pm

frogman042 wrote:Pastor noted that Bobby Van has a limited number of credits, including Dobie Gillis - neither Dobie nor Gillis have a lot of links, but there is an actress named Tammy Gillis - Tammy of course would lead to Debbie Reynolds.

Could it be that we take a movie each actor is in that has a name in in the title, then make a match of those names in a title to form another actor either 2 names or 3 names?

28. Debbie Reynolds - Tammy and the Bachelor, 47. Bobby Van - The Affairs of Dobie Gillis = Tammy Gillis
I think it's simpler than that. Debbie Reynolds was in The Affairs of Dobie Gillis.
Burt Lancaster was Elmer Gantry with Jean Simmons
Denzel Washington was Roman J. Israel with Collin Farrell.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#46 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:11 pm

57. ANNA NAEGLE was Irene in Irene with 97. ROLAND YOUNG

95. JOE E BROWN was Alibi Ike in Alibi Ike with 27. OLIVIA DeHAVILAND

Are we looking for full names or just names, I wonder?

franktangredi

#47 Post by franktangredi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:28 pm

mellytu74 wrote:57. ANNA NAEGLE was Irene in Irene with 97. ROLAND YOUNG

I have to stop you before you go too far in this direction.

silverscreenselect

#48 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 pm

franktangredi wrote:

I have a feeling now that it's not that simple, but half of it would seem to be an actor who plays the fully named title character in a movie:

Bobby Van - Dobie Gillis
Burt Lancaster - Elmer Gantry
Denzel Washington - Roman J. Israel
Helen Slater - Billie Jean (?)
Robert Redford - Waldo Pepper
Kevin Spacey - David Gale
Renee Zellweger - Bridget Jones
Oscar Isaac - Llewyn Davis
Peter Sellers - Henry Orient
Dan Haggerty - Grizzly Adams
Michael Caine - Harry Brown
Natalie Wood - Daisy Clover
Gary Cooper - John Doe (?)
Al Pacino - Bobby Deerfield
Robert Stephens - Sherlock Holmes
John Malkovich - John Malkovich (this is exactly the type of pairing Frank loves to put in his puzzles)
Nancy Kwan - Suzie Wong

The problem is making the second half of the puzzle work. There are too many of these films where I can't find a matching actor for the cast, and I'm not sure how triples would work either.

Also Frank said he was using Robert Stephens because he couldn't make Maggie Smith work, but she would seem to be an easy match for Jean Brodie and there are a number of other actors who played Sherlock Holmes in films with Holmes in the title (Robert Downey Jr. and Basil Rathbone come to mind).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

#49 Post by franktangredi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:03 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
I have a feeling now that it's not that simple, but half of it would seem to be an actor who plays the fully named title character in a movie:

Bobby Van - Dobie Gillis
John Malkovich - John Malkovich (this is exactly the type of pairing Frank loves to put in his puzzles)
Nancy Kwan - Suzie Wong

The problem is making the second half of the puzzle work. There are too many of these films where I can't find a matching actor for the cast, and I'm not sure how triples would work either.

Also Frank said he was using Robert Stephens because he couldn't make Maggie Smith work, but she would seem to be an easy match for Jean Brodie and there are a number of other actors who played Sherlock Holmes in films with Holmes in the title (Robert Downey Jr. and Basil Rathbone come to mind).
The answer is in this list you posted. It's there. A couple of times.

Believe me, I would have used The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie if I could have found something to match it with. And even if I had, Robert Stephens would still be in the game.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#50 Post by frogman042 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:08 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

Bobby Van - Dobie Gillis
Nancy Kwan - Suzie Wong

Adding:

Harold Lloyd - The Sin of Harold Diddlebock

HENRY FONDA - Young Mr. Lincoln?
ERROL FLYNN - Captain Blood, Adventures of Robin Hood (probably others)?
STEVE CARELL - Dan in Real Life, Get Smart?
JACK BLACK - Bernie?
MICHAEL J. FOX - Stuart Little?
JANET MARGOLIN - David and Lisa
DEBBIE REYNOLDS - Molly Brown?
JIM CAVIEZEL - Passion of the Christ?
PAUL MUNI - Louis Pasteur?
MICHAEL KEATON - Batman? Birdman? Beetlejuice? Johnny Dangerously?
JAMIE FOXX - Ray Charles?
NATALIE WOOD - Daisy Clover? Marjorie Morningstar?
WILLIAM POWELL - Zigfield?
SIDNEY POITIER - The Call Me Mr. Tibbs?
GARY COOPER - too many - Alvin York, Lou Gehrig, Mr. Deeds, John Doe and probably others
LEO McKERN - Ryan's Daughter
ANNE BAXTER - All About Eve?
FREDRIC MARCH - Dr Jeckle and Mr. Hyde?
DONALD SUTHERLAND - Klute?
ALAN ALDA - The Seduction of Joe Tynen?
GEORGE SEGAL - Blume in Love?
JOHN HEARD - Cutter's Way?
JIMMY STEWART - Destry Rides Again? Mr. Hobbs? The Stratton Story? Mr. Smith? Glen Miller?

I wonder if Jack Benny might be a clue - the only name title I can think of is Charlie's Aunt - I think he was the Aunt in drag, but that is not a name.