Paraphrased from Facebook

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Paraphrased from Facebook

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:55 pm

In the wake of yesterday's school walk-outs, I've seen complaints from Republicans that the left is organizing our children.

The reality is much worse than they fear. Our children are organizing the left.

Things like this help. A dog died on an airplane and it took Senator John Kennedy all of two days to propose a bill to address the problem. On the other hand, 17 people were killed at a school a month ago (along with countless others) and students have to walk out of class in an effort to focus Congress's attention on the issue. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

Re: Paraphrased from Facebook

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Bob78164 wrote:In the wake of yesterday's school walk-outs, I've seen complaints from Republicans that the left is organizing our children.

Things like this help. A dog died on an airplane and it took Senator John Kennedy all of two days to propose a bill to address the problem. On the other hand, 17 people were killed at a school a month ago (along with countless others) and students have to walk out of class in an effort to focus Congress's attention on the issue. --Bob
Also from facebook:

https://scontent.fatl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5B023879

And most of these protests devolved into just the same old, tired left-wing bigotry. Yes, these kids are being used. They are as ignorant of the entirety of the issues as I was at their age. I participated in protests because it was the cool thing to do. And so are they.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: They are as ignorant of the entirety of the issues as I was at their age. I participated in protests because it was the cool thing to do. And so are they.
Well, many are far more knowledgeable of the issues at their age than you are at yours. What they aren't as knowledgeable of is the Trump/Hannity/Fox News spin on those issues.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:48 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: They are as ignorant of the entirety of the issues as I was at their age. I participated in protests because it was the cool thing to do. And so are they.
Well, many are far more knowledgeable of the issues at their age than you are at yours. What they aren't as knowledgeable of is the Trump/Hannity/Fox News spin on those issues.
Many are, but the media don't talk to them.
Same old shit from you, Hockey Puck.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:20 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Same old shit from you, Hockey Puck.
What I don't do is post unverified recreations by my Facebook friends of supposed conversations with their high school children and claim they are typical of the mindset of the protesting students.

And I would take any random sample of these students vs. a random sample of people at a Trump rally on a current events test.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:In the wake of yesterday's school walk-outs, I've seen complaints from Republicans that the left is organizing our children.

Also from facebook:

And most of these protests devolved into just the same old, tired left-wing bigotry. Yes, these kids are being used. They are as ignorant of the entirety of the issues as I was at their age. I participated in protests because it was the cool thing to do. And so are they.
Maybe he just doesn't want to get killed in school and doesn't care about how that comes about?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:43 pm

And yet, I am not even slightly surprised you would see this as apples-to-apples.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:59 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Same old shit from you, Hockey Puck.
What I don't do is post unverified recreations by my Facebook friends of supposed conversations with their high school children and claim they are typical of the mindset of the protesting students.

And I would take any random sample of these students vs. a random sample of people at a Trump rally on a current events test.
Unverified recreation? I would have written that myself.
What part of that unverified recreation do you disagree with, Hockey Puck?
So would I. And the Trump rally people would do yugely better. But we'll never find out, will we? So why bring it up, Hockey Puck?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:07 pm

Also from facebook:

I'm inclined to take them at their word. They're participating in protests because they don't want to be shot in school, and Congress won't do anything about it.

I'm really not sure there's much more they need to know. Just like back in the '60s a lot of your people protested because they didn't want to die in Vietnam. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Also from facebook:

I'm inclined to take them at their word. They're participating in protests because they don't want to be shot in school, and Congress won't do anything about it.

I'm really not sure there's much more they need to know. Just like back in the '60s a lot of your people protested because they didn't want to die in Vietnam. --Bob
That's fine and dandy, bob-tel. I would not oppose the 'banning' of AR-14's, 15's 72's or whatever. Knock yourselves out. Background checks? Go for it. But what are they going to do when they find out it doesn't solve anything? It's like unilaterally disarming. No one needs an AR-14. But those who want one badly enough will get one, regardless of the law. You have a felony and can't buy a gun from a gun store? Get it on the street. And suppose we do put some more 'common sense' gun laws in place? The asshole at Parkland got his guns because the authorities were unable or unwilling to enforce the laws they already had in place. The scumbag in Las Vegas hauled an arsenal past security at one of the largest hotels in the country.

I don't want any more children to get shot at a school just as much as these kids or you do.
But bob-tel, it ain't the guns. And the media is not helping by focusing only on that one false solution.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... hools.html

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:26 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:That's fine and dandy, bob-tel. I would not oppose the 'banning' of AR-14's, 15's 72's or whatever. Knock yourselves out. Background checks? Go for it. But what are they going to do when they find out it doesn't solve anything? It's like unilaterally disarming. No one needs an AR-14. But those who want one badly enough will get one, regardless of the law. You have a felony and can't buy a gun from a gun store? Get it on the street. And suppose we do put some more 'common sense' gun laws in place? The asshole at Parkland got his guns because the authorities were unable or unwilling to enforce the laws they already had in place. The scumbag in Las Vegas hauled an arsenal past security at one of the largest hotels in the country.

I don't want any more children to get shot at a school just as much as these kids or you do.
But bob-tel, it ain't the guns. And the media is not helping by focusing only on that one false solution.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... hools.html
No, gun laws aren't going to stop drug gangs or trained terrorists. But they may keep an angry bullied kid, or a punk brainwashed by radical Islamic or white supremacist videos, or a wife beater in a police standoff, from acting out and causing a tragedy. They're part of the solution.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:04 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: No one needs an AR-14. But those who want one badly enough will get one, regardless of the law.
Some of them will. All of them won't.

And I've never understood the logic that says that unless a law prevents 100% of what it's designed to prevent, we shouldn't adopt it. We might as well not have any criminal laws because we still have crimes.

A better analogy would be the relationship between increased penalties for drunk driving and automobile fatality rates. Over the last 30+ years, as drunk driving laws have gotten tougher, alcohol-related highway deaths are down while auto deaths from all other causes have gone up. Of course people still drink and drive and no matter how stiff the penalties some will continue to do so. But those laws have reduced alcohol-related accidents and fatalities considerably.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:43 pm

I cannot speak for any other schools, but the students who were walking out in Omaha were woefully ignorant of the reason for the walk out, and certainly never stopped to think that the walkout was directed at school administrators who had nothing to do with gun laws but had already taken steps to increase their safety and security.

The Boy and I had a conversation similar to that Facebook post prior to the first walkout (where all of maybe 20 high school students walked out, in a school of over 2400 students). His teachers are considerably more liberal than his mother and I (duh!), and they obviously discussed the murders and causes, with "lax gun laws" being the common impulse to be declared the main cause. As he is nearing 18, I was more than willing to let him decide what he wanted to do, so we talked about the murders and the proposed protest. As we talked, he quickly came to the logical conclusion that a school walkout, by its very nature, is a protest that is directed to the school administration, not Congress (who is nowhere near the school and has no idea who is walking out and in what numbers). He also realized that all of these kids talking about walking out at his school, as well as other schools here, would tell you that they actually feel very safe at school. During school hours, all doors into the school are locked and monitored by a video camera security system (who have to be buzzed into school). There is a school resource officer stationed right inside the front door, which is the only door which can be used by visitors. These steps, and many others, were taken after a school shooting here several years ago.

At that point, The Boy decided that he would get involved in the "national conversation" by having actual conversations that might make a difference, rather than following the crows in empty gestures. He e-mailed the high school's principal, discussing the proposed walk out the next day and expressing what kids might be thinking in wanting to participate. When the principal warned my son that unexcused absences are subject to discipline, my son expressed understanding that the Principal was interested in providing the best education for him and his classmates, but raised the possibility that there was some opportunities for learning through allowing people to express their concerns and also get better informed on actual facts versus social media discussions. (Subsequent investigations into various threats at various schools, this particular high school included, did provide the opportunity for a deeper discussion)

He also wrote letters to his Congressman and his Senators, noting that he soon will be voting, as will many other high school students who might be walking out, so he invited them to hold a town hall in Omaha to address the various issues raised by the Parkland murders (mental health, gun laws, ease of access to guns outside of legal means, and increased social dysfunction of youth).

There are many things that we do not see the same, and I get frustrated that his teachers try indoctrinating their views into their students, by varying degrees, but I am willing to have the talks and debates with him as long as he clearly is doing some independent thinking about what he is hearing at school and at home.

flockofseagulls104

#14 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Appa23 wrote:
I cannot speak for any other schools, but the students who were walking out in Omaha were woefully ignorant of the reason for the walk out, and certainly never stopped to think that the walkout was directed at school administrators who had nothing to do with gun laws but had already taken steps to increase their safety and security.

The Boy and I had a conversation similar to that Facebook post prior to the first walkout (where all of maybe 20 high school students walked out, in a school of over 2400 students). His teachers are considerably more liberal than his mother and I (duh!), and they obviously discussed the murders and causes, with "lax gun laws" being the common impulse to be declared the main cause. As he is nearing 18, I was more than willing to let him decide what he wanted to do, so we talked about the murders and the proposed protest. As we talked, he quickly came to the logical conclusion that a school walkout, by its very nature, is a protest that is directed to the school administration, not Congress (who is nowhere near the school and has no idea who is walking out and in what numbers). He also realized that all of these kids talking about walking out at his school, as well as other schools here, would tell you that they actually feel very safe at school. During school hours, all doors into the school are locked and monitored by a video camera security system (who have to be buzzed into school). There is a school resource officer stationed right inside the front door, which is the only door which can be used by visitors. These steps, and many others, were taken after a school shooting here several years ago.

At that point, The Boy decided that he would get involved in the "national conversation" by having actual conversations that might make a difference, rather than following the crows in empty gestures. He e-mailed the high school's principal, discussing the proposed walk out the next day and expressing what kids might be thinking in wanting to participate. When the principal warned my son that unexcused absences are subject to discipline, my son expressed understanding that the Principal was interested in providing the best education for him and his classmates, but raised the possibility that there was some opportunities for learning through allowing people to express their concerns and also get better informed on actual facts versus social media discussions. (Subsequent investigations into various threats at various schools, this particular high school included, did provide the opportunity for a deeper discussion)

He also wrote letters to his Congressman and his Senators, noting that he soon will be voting, as will many other high school students who might be walking out, so he invited them to hold a town hall in Omaha to address the various issues raised by the Parkland murders (mental health, gun laws, ease of access to guns outside of legal means, and increased social dysfunction of youth).

There are many things that we do not see the same, and I get frustrated that his teachers try indoctrinating their views into their students, by varying degrees, but I am willing to have the talks and debates with him as long as he clearly is doing some independent thinking about what he is hearing at school and at home.
[Rec]

flockofseagulls104

#15 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: No one needs an AR-14. But those who want one badly enough will get one, regardless of the law.

And I've never understood the logic that says that unless a law prevents 100% of what it's designed to prevent, we shouldn't adopt it. We might as well not have any criminal laws because we still have crimes.

A better analogy would be the relationship between increased penalties for drunk driving and automobile fatality rates. Over the last 30+ years, as drunk driving laws have gotten tougher, alcohol-related highway deaths are down while auto deaths from all other causes have gone up. Of course people still drink and drive and no matter how stiff the penalties some will continue to do so. But those laws have reduced alcohol-related accidents and fatalities considerably.
Let me give you another analogy, hockey puck. Suppose we've got 3 houses right next to each other. One house is equipped with a security system, and has nice, new signs on the doors and windows saying 'Protected by Acme Security and a supporter of the 2nd Amendment'. The next house has no security system at all, but has those nice new signs saying that they are protected by 'A-1 Security'. The last house has signs on their lawn, and on all the windows saying 'We have no security system, and the back door is unlocked'. Some scumbag wants to break into a house and do some mayhem. Which one would he pick, hockey puck?
The vast majority of our schools are 'no gun zones'. They are proud of it and tout it. They put signs up. The scumbags know that. Very few, if any, of our federal and state buildings, courts, airports, bus stations, banks, what have you, are gun free zones. The top politicians and celebrities are protected by armed bodyguards at all times. There may or may not be an armed marshal on any airline flight. At the very least, can we can get rid of the 'no gun zone' foolishness and at least give the impression that any scumbag that wants to make a name for themselves will maybe meet some resistance? That, to me, would be a common-sense gun law.
That's what Andrew Pollack, the guy that lost his daughter Meadow, is saying. Let's protect our schools and our children NOW.

PS: If I were a STATE legislator, I would propose this compromise: I'll let you ban AR-##'s in our state and any other thing you mistakenly believe is an 'assault' weapon, for whatever good you think it will do, if you do away with the 'gun free zone' designation for schools and let the schools develop protection plans, including trump's proposal to arm willing, able and fully trained school staff. Now, if it works, you can claim it was because we banned the 'assault weapons' and I can say it was because the schools have some protection now. Both sides can claim victory or blame the other side if it doesn't work. But at least we will have done something constructive. But I doubt the left will compromise. They want this as an issue to run on.
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:02 am

Let me give you another analogy, hockey puck. Suppose we've got 3 houses right next to each other. One house is equipped with a security system, and has nice, new signs on the doors and windows saying 'Protected by Acme Security and a supporter of the 2nd Amendment'. The next house has no security system at all, but has those nice new signs saying that they are protected by 'A-1 Security'. The last house has signs on their lawn, and on all the windows saying 'We have no security system, and the back door is unlocked'. Some scumbag wants to break into a house and do some mayhem. Which one would he pick, hockey puck?
The vast majority of our schools are 'no gun zones'. They are proud of it and tout it. They put signs up. The scumbags know that. Very few, if any, of our federal and state buildings, courts, airports, bus stations, banks, what have you, are gun free zones. The top politicians and celebrities are protected by armed bodyguards at all times. There may or may not be an armed marshal on any airline flight. At the very least, can we can get rid of the 'no gun zone' foolishness and at least give the impression that any scumbag that wants to make a name for themselves will maybe meet some resistance? That, to me, would be a common-sense gun law.
That's what Andrew Pollack, the guy that lost his daughter Meadow, is saying. Let's protect our schools and our children NOW.

PS: If I were a STATE legislator, I would propose this compromise: I'll let you ban AR-##'s in our state and any other thing you mistakenly believe is an 'assault' weapon, for whatever good you think it will do, if you do away with the 'gun free zone' designation for schools and let the schools develop protection plans, including trump's proposal to arm willing, able and fully trained school staff. I doubt the left will compromise. They want this as an issue to run on.
I won't compromise on this because we've seen far too many teachers fire their guns inappropriately in school. In just the last month. No one who wants to shoot up a school is going to be deterred by the possibility that they might run into an armed teacher. And if they know they will, guess who the first targets are going to be. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#17 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:04 am

Bob78164 wrote:

PS: If I were a STATE legislator, I would propose this compromise: I'll let you ban AR-##'s in our state and any other thing you mistakenly believe is an 'assault' weapon, for whatever good you think it will do, if you do away with the 'gun free zone' designation for schools and let the schools develop protection plans, including trump's proposal to arm willing, able and fully trained school staff. I doubt the left will compromise. They want this as an issue to run on.
I won't compromise on this because we've seen far too many teachers fire their guns inappropriately in school. In just the last month. No one who wants to shoot up a school is going to be deterred by the possibility that they might run into an armed teacher. And if they know they will, guess who the first targets are going to be. --Bob
I don't expect you to compromise on anything, bob-tel. And I wasn't done editing my post, either.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 am

Bob78164 wrote:

I don't expect you to compromise on anything, bob-tel. And I wasn't done editing my post, either.
Not when it comes to my son's safety.

What's with the name-calling? All it does is make you come across as infantile. Well, in your case, more infantile. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#19 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:15 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I won't compromise on this because we've seen far too many teachers fire their guns inappropriately in school. In just the last month. No one who wants to shoot up a school is going to be deterred by the possibility that they might run into an armed teacher. And if they know they will, guess who the first targets are going to be. --Bob
Not when it comes to my son's safety.

What's with the name-calling? All it does is make you come across as infantile. Well, in your case, more infantile. --Bob
Who's name calling? Anyway, I can't think of many things more infantile than threatening lawsuits over someone's opinion, unless it's calling the President of the United States 'donny' all the time. But what do I know?

flockofseagulls104

#20 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:25 am

C'mon, bob-tel. Say it. You can do it. Say 'Well, you got me there flock....'

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:34 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: But what do I know?
REC

Estonut
Evil Genius

#22 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I've never understood logic.
See how easy that is?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#23 Post by jarnon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:14 am

Appa23 wrote:I cannot speak for any other schools, but the students who were walking out in Omaha were woefully ignorant of the reason for the walk out, and certainly never stopped to think that the walkout was directed at school administrators who had nothing to do with gun laws but had already taken steps to increase their safety and security.

From what I saw around here, the walkout was no more disruptive than a pep rally, fire drill or late opening for bad weather, and administrators took it in stride.

I hope many teens used it as a learning experience, not just an excuse to cut class.
Last edited by jarnon on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#24 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:36 am

jarnon wrote:No, gun laws aren't going to stop drug gangs or trained terrorists. But they may keep an angry bullied kid, or a punk brainwashed by radical Islamic or white supremacist videos, or a wife beater in a police standoff, from acting out and causing a tragedy. They're part of the solution.
We already have enough gun laws to prevent most of what has happened if everyone would do their damn jobs and quit worrying about political correctness or hurting peoples' feelings.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:35 pm

BackInTex wrote:
jarnon wrote:No, gun laws aren't going to stop drug gangs or trained terrorists. But they may keep an angry bullied kid, or a punk brainwashed by radical Islamic or white supremacist videos, or a wife beater in a police standoff, from acting out and causing a tragedy. They're part of the solution.
We already have enough gun laws to prevent most of what has happened if everyone would do their damn jobs and quit worrying about political correctness or hurting peoples' feelings.
I've got a solution: Have a great number of Black men buy AR-14s and join the NRA. Then they can vote the leadership out of office and Congress will ban the AR-14s.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.