The Streak is over!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

The Streak is over!

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:44 pm

For the first time ever, a number 16 seed won a first-round game against a number 1 seed in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championships, when the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, whipped the University of Virginia 74-54. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

Re: The Streak is over!

#2 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:07 am

That's not even close. One team came to play and the other did not. Wow.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#3 Post by Appa23 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 am

Bob78164 wrote:For the first time ever, a number 16 seed won a first-round game against a number 1 seed in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championships, when the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, whipped the University of Virginia 74-54. --Bob
Virginia played so poorly that I thought it had joined the PAC-12 this year.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 am

Appa23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:For the first time ever, a number 16 seed won a first-round game against a number 1 seed in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championships, when the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, whipped the University of Virginia 74-54. --Bob
A lot of people are hanging their heads in Tucson.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Not correcting anyone, just adding to the fun:

The Harvard women upset a No. 1 seed in 1998.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Not correcting anyone, just adding to the fun:

The Harvard women upset a No. 1 seed in 1998.
Thanks. I wondered whether that had ever happened. That's why I was careful to specify which tournament I was talking about. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:17 pm

If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

elwoodblues

#8 Post by elwoodblues » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:49 pm

I want to go back in time and offer people Virginia plus 19 in this game.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
A lot of people are hanging their heads in Tucson.
Not just Tucson.

This year was the first time that one of the Power 6 conferences failed to win any games in the expanded tournament.

Made worse when 2 of 3 couldn’t even escape a play-in game. Arizona was the only team to make it to the tournament proper (Round of 64), and it was lucky not to lose by 30 or more.

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:35 am

Interesting bit of trivia in today's Atlanta Journal.

Before Friday, what had widely been considered the greatest upset in NCAA (men's) basketball history occurred in 1982 also involving a #1 Virginia team, this time with Ralph Sampson, which lost to Chaminade, an NAIA team (albeit a very good one), in Hawaii. That Virginia team was headed back to the U.S. after a tournament in Tokyo where the beat the famed Houston Phi Slamma Jamma team. They had wanted to schedule Hawaii, but couldn't make arrangements work, so agreed to play Chaminade on their stopover. Later in the season, Virginia and Houston would both become victims of N.C. State, during its run to the NCAA championship, a major upset in itself.

While it's unusual enough that both of these monumental upsets involve Virginia, it goes farther. One of the assistant coaches on Sampson's Virginia team was Dave Odom, who would have a solid coaching career of his own at Wake Forest (with Tim Duncan) and South Carolina. Odom's son is Ryan Odom, head coach at UMBC.

So, now a member of the Odom family has been on each side of the two biggest upsets in NCAA history.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 am

And Ryan Odom coached at Charlotte, where Friday's game was played, for a while.
--------

christie1111
11:11

#12 Post by christie1111 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:05 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Interesting bit of trivia in today's Atlanta Journal.

Before Friday, what had widely been considered the greatest upset in NCAA (men's) basketball history occurred in 1982 also involving a #1 Virginia team, this time with Ralph Sampson, which lost to Chaminade, an NAIA team (albeit a very good one), in Hawaii. That Virginia team was headed back to the U.S. after a tournament in Tokyo where the beat the famed Houston Phi Slamma Jamma team. They had wanted to schedule Hawaii, but couldn't make arrangements work, so agreed to play Chaminade on their stopover. Later in the season, Virginia and Houston would both become victims of N.C. State, during its run to the NCAA championship, a major upset in itself.

While it's unusual enough that both of these monumental upsets involve Virginia, it goes farther. One of the assistant coaches on Sampson's Virginia team was Dave Odom, who would have a solid coaching career of his own at Wake Forest (with Tim Duncan) and South Carolina. Odom's son is Ryan Odom, head coach at UMBC.

So, now a member of the Odom family has been on each side of the two biggest upsets in NCAA history.
My sister went to Chaminade. The upset is still talked about. They have beat a couple of highhly ranked teams over the years.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

rayxtwo

#13 Post by rayxtwo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 am

With this happening you can get a free meal at Little Caesars on April 2nd. Here's the info.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/busin ... 437723002/

Get there early. Time cut off is firm.

Ray

jarnon

#14 Post by jarnon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:19 am

rayxtwo wrote:With this happening you can get a free meal at Little Caesars on April 2nd. Here's the info.

Ray
No thank you, it’s Passover.

The ancient Caesars weren’t friends of the Jews, so I’m not surprised.

Thanks for the heads up, Ray.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 am

jarnon wrote:
rayxtwo wrote:With this happening you can get a free meal at Little Caesars on April 2nd. Here's the info.

Ray

How about if they made an unleavened pizza with chicken, artichokes, and eggplant?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#16 Post by jarnon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:19 am

Bob Juch wrote:
jarnon wrote:

Ray

How about if they made an unleavened pizza with chicken, artichokes, and eggplant?
I'd eat that! But I'd rather have cheese and no chicken.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי