RIP Elaine Herzberg, 49

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: RIP Elaine Herzberg, 49

#26 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:21 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Ethical lawyers threaten lawsuits all the time. It's what they do. After all, they paid good money to go to school. I think "Threatening Lawsuits 101" is a required course at all major law schools.
Flock.... lighten the fuck up, dude.

lb13
So sue me.
Only after you're dead so we can call it Flocking...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#27 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Flock.... lighten the fuck up, dude.

lb13
So sue me.

lb13
Lends a whole new meaning to the phrase "go Flock yourself." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#28 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 am

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#29 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 am

Bob78164 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
So sue me.

lb13
Lends a whole new meaning to the phrase "go Flock yourself." --Bob
Wow. Just wow.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#30 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 am

Bob78164 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:I don't know why the urge to belittle victims. Perhaps BiT or whom/whatever he's quoting can explain.

It would be relatives of the victim who would sue for defamation of character, not me or various Bobs.
It wouldn't matter. In most jurisdictions, it's legally impossible to defame a dead person. I don't know one way or the other whether Arizona is an exception.

But although I can see why you might consider BiT's quip in bad taste (for example, I can't imagine him writing it if one of the victim's relatives were known to be a regular on the Bored), it certainly didn't seem defamatory to me. --Bob
The producers of Chappaquiddick are grateful it's legally impossible to defame a dead person. :x
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#31 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:I don't know why the urge to belittle victims. Perhaps BiT or whom/whatever he's quoting can explain.

It would be relatives of the victim who would sue for defamation of character, not me or various Bobs.
It wouldn't matter. In most jurisdictions, it's legally impossible to defame a dead person. I don't know one way or the other whether Arizona is an exception.

But although I can see why you might consider BiT's quip in bad taste (for example, I can't imagine him writing it if one of the victim's relatives were known to be a regular on the Bored), it certainly didn't seem defamatory to me. --Bob
The producers of Chappaquiddick are grateful it's legally impossible to defame a dead person. :x
Ted did pretty good job on himself through the years.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#32 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

The Lion of the Senate.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

ghostjmf

#33 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:59 pm

Ted K's office had a really good record here. Not just for sweeping national & international good causes, but for righting wrongs to ordinary-people constituents who called & said "help".

If you wonder how he kept getting reelected, beyond the political machine.

This is not an endorsement of his bad driving & possible state of inebriation at the time.

I remember a lawyer (the woman from Texas) on this very board saying they told their clients to race home, down alcohol swiftly, report their accident & then tell the cops "I felt so bad about it I've been drinking since I got home". Of course the blood-alcohol test results would be useless in court, as the earlier drinking would be masked.

I thought at the time "how immoral". Of course this lawyer just said they were working for their client.

Ted K. either didn't have immoral lawyers or didn't call them.

Bob Juch

#34 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I remember a lawyer (the woman from Texas) on this very board saying they told their clients to race home, down alcohol swiftly, report their accident & then tell the cops "I felt so bad about it I've been drinking since I got home". Of course the blood-alcohol test results would be useless in court, as the earlier drinking would be masked.
I don't recall that. When I was 16 I had an accident in Oakland when a car blew through a red light in front of me. While waiting for the cops to come, he went to a bar on the corner, probably for that reason.

ghostjmf

#35 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:48 pm

BJ: You may not yet have been on the board when this was posted.

The lawyer in question spent their $60K BAM winnings on an in-ground sprinkler system, they said.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

#36 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:57 pm

I moved here in '71 fall. Chappaquiddick, the spelling of which I just looked up, was in '69.

I don't know what the local DUI laws were in '69. I'm old enough to remember when there weren't DUI laws where I lived, & DUI people were referred to as causing accidents, "poor things". And not prosecuted because "they couldn't help it".

Leaving the scene of an accident has been an offence longer, I think.

I realize I could look all this up.

Bob Juch

#37 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm

ghostjmf wrote:BJ: You may not yet have been on the board when this was posted.

The lawyer in question spent their $60K BAM winnings on an in-ground sprinkler system, they said.
Was that Steph Stradley?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#38 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:11 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Ted K's office had a really good record here. Not just for sweeping national & international good causes, but for righting wrongs to ordinary-people constituents who called & said "help".

If you wonder how he kept getting reelected, beyond the political machine.

This is not an endorsement of his bad driving & possible state of inebriation at the time.

I remember a lawyer (the woman from Texas) on this very board saying they told their clients to race home, down alcohol swiftly, report their accident & then tell the cops "I felt so bad about it I've been drinking since I got home". Of course the blood-alcohol test results would be useless in court, as the earlier drinking would be masked.

I thought at the time "how immoral". Of course this lawyer just said they were working for their client.

Ted K. either didn't have immoral lawyers or didn't call them.
Somehow I think you misremember things.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#39 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:47 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I remember a lawyer (the woman from Texas) on this very board saying they told their clients to race home, down alcohol swiftly, report their accident & then tell the cops "I felt so bad about it I've been drinking since I got home". Of course the blood-alcohol test results would be useless in court, as the earlier drinking would be masked.

Even back in the early days I didn't read everything on the Bored, but I certainly don't remember Bixby saying she gave that advice. It also seems like bad advice because in most states (I assume Texas is among them) it's a crime to leave the scene of an accident. Any chance she was relaying a story she'd heard, possibly apocryphal, from someone else? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

#40 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Bixby definitely said it. I don't have the stamina right now to go through all Bixby's posts. Go for it, whoever wants to.

I don't recall that leaving the scene came up. Its always an offence, but less of one than DUI. Perhaps the offender had hit a parked car, so no wtnesses. You're allowed to leave the scene in that circumstance, I believe, as long as you leave a note & report it.

ghostjmf

#41 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Beebs, I briefly knew someone who worked for Ted Kennedy's office. They were instructed to respond to *every* help request.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#42 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:35 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Bixby definitely said it. I don't have the stamina right now to go through all Bixby's posts. Go for it, whoever wants to.

I don't recall that leaving the scene came up. Its always an offence, but less of one than DUI. Perhaps the offender had hit a parked car, so no wtnesses. You're allowed to leave the scene in that circumstance, I believe, as long as you leave a note & report it.
You're positive she didn't reference other lawyers?
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#43 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:45 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Beebs, I briefly knew someone who worked for Ted Kennedy's office. They were instructed to respond to *every* help request.
? re what? and what does a sprinkler system have to do with anything?
Well, then

ghostjmf

#44 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:47 pm

I didn't get into the discussion at the time, I don't think.

Someone else called her out on it which is when she told them her obligation when giving advice as a lawyer was to her client. Probably there was no injury to a person involved.

ghostjmf

#45 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Beebs: Help reqests to Ted K's staff were from people who needed stoplights on their corner to way big issues that senators *are* directly involved with. I imagine that the stoplight/stop sign requests, which lights/signs we really do need around here with all the pedestrians & bike riders being hit, went to local entities to whom the incoming call from the Senator's office meant something.

As for Bixby's sprinkler: I brought it up to help identify her from other board lawyers who have gotten on the show. And yes, because she told us all about it to demonstrate how little she needed the money from the game. She did put on board the proviso that there were allergies in her family. The sprinklers kept the dust down. But if she really needed them that badly she'd have bought them already, in my opinion.

Look, Bixby was not my favorite person, nor I hers I'd bet, but others who used to post here are far, far worse. Far far far. FAR.

I have a lot of sympathy for her sister dying so young.

I still wouldn't have spent my 60K on sprinklers. Not without buying the house 1st, at the very least.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#46 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm done. I deal with a 3 and 1 year old every day. Bless your heart and ciao.
Well, then

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#47 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Even back in the early days I didn't read everything on the Bored, but I certainly don't remember Bixby saying she gave that advice. It also seems like bad advice because in most states (I assume Texas is among them) it's a crime to leave the scene of an accident. Any chance she was relaying a story she'd heard, possibly apocryphal, from someone else? --Bob

The story rings a bell, though how it sounds familiar I have no idea... whether it was actually brought up by someone, or I just remember it because ghost has referenced it before. Either way, Bixby's heyday was before this iteration of the Bored. She has all of 511 posts here, and I doubt many of them contain juicy legal stories. But since Bixby is still alive (I"d assume), she could probably sue for defamation...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

ghostjmf

#48 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 pm

I have not referenced it before. I don't remember even saying "how immoral" at the time, though I obviously thought it. Probably I was in an even worse-issue argument with someone else.

Someone else on the board at the time was asking "how to beat a drunk driving charge". I don't say Bixby said she *had* given that advice to a client, but she said that's the advice she *would* give.

tlynn78

#49 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 pm

I'd have sworn Bix bought a tankless water heater.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#50 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 am

tlynn78 wrote:I'd have sworn Bix bought a tankless water heater.
Its a good thing, too. A regular hot water heater would run out of hot water on the first zone leaving only cold water for the rest of the yard.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson