High School shooting in rural Maryland

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

High School shooting in rural Maryland

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 am

Injuries reported

silverscreenselect

Re: High School shooting in rural Maryland

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 am

Two students were wounded, and then the shooter engaged in a brief gunfight with an armed school security officer. The gunman is dead, but it's unclear whether he was shot by the security officer or killed himself.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 am

NPR is reporting local MD officials as saying the guard shot the shooter.

The female victim is in critical condition.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:05 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Two students were wounded, and then the shooter engaged in a brief gunfight with an armed school security officer. The gunman is dead, but it's unclear whether he was shot by the security officer or killed himself.
No 'gunfight,' according to what I'm reading. Resource officer and shooter exchanged "simultaneous" shots (one each). Resource officer's aim was better.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Just a note to bob-tel: Blaine Gaskill may have saved a lot more children from being shot. If your child went to that school, would this rethink your vow never to compromise? In my opinion, having trained, armed personnel in schools to protect the kids is a GOOD thing. This incident, though we don't know everything yet, can possibly be used as EVIDENCE to support my opinion. An armed resource officer in the school stopped a shooting from possibly going further.

A few things to note:
Gaskill responded within one minute of the gunshot being fired.
Maryland law prohibits anyone under 21 from having a gun. This scumbag was 17. More common sense laws?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/us/maryl ... index.html
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Just a note to bob-tel: Blaine Gaskill may have saved a lot more children from being shot. If your child went to that school, would this rethink your vow never to compromise? In my opinion, having trained, armed personnel in schools to protect the kids is a GOOD thing. This incident, though we don't know everything yet, can possibly be used as EVIDENCE to support my opinion. An armed resource officer in the school stopped a shooting from possibly going further.

A few things to note:
Maryland law prohibits anyone under 21 from having a gun. This scumbag was 17. More common sense laws?

Obviously, the laws don't work so get rid of the guns.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Just a note to bob-tel: Blaine Gaskill may have saved a lot more children from being shot. If your child went to that school, would this rethink your vow never to compromise? In my opinion, having trained, armed personnel in schools to protect the kids is a GOOD thing. This incident, though we don't know everything yet, can possibly be used as EVIDENCE to support my opinion. An armed resource officer in the school stopped a shooting from possibly going further.

A few things to note:

Obviously, the laws don't work so get rid of the guns.
Whatcha gonna do, pass a law to get rid of them, and they'll all disappear? Maybe find a good magician. If that was the case I'd be right there with you. But do it with nuclear and chemical weapons first, please.
I'll bet this school was a no gun zone. Funny how those darn criminals don't seem to obey those common sense laws.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:34 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Just a note to bob-tel: Blaine Gaskill may have saved a lot more children from being shot. If your child went to that school, would this rethink your vow never to compromise? In my opinion, having trained, armed personnel in schools to protect the kids is a GOOD thing. An armed resource officer in the school stopped a shooting from possibly going further.
From the Washington Post:
Gaskill, a 34-year-old SWAT-trained officer of the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office, was working as the school’s resource officer when a student opened fire in a first-floor hallway, striking a female student and possibly a male classmate. Gaskill confronted the shooter as students and teachers scrambled for cover. Both fired their weapons, and the gunman was fatally wounded. Gaskill was not injured.
There's a big difference between having a SWAT-trained sheriff's officer providing security and giving a ragtag assortment of teachers weapons. Unfortunately, most schools in this country don't have the budget for highly trained security officers. In many cases, they don't even have the budget for adequate books and supplies.

Here's what happens when you start handing out guns to teachers:
A teacher accidentally discharged a firearm while teaching a public safety class, injuring one student at a Northern California school on Tuesday, police said. Dennis Alexander, who is Seaside City's mayor pro tem and a reserve officer with the Sand City Police Department, was teaching a lesson at Seaside High School in Seaside when he pointed his gun into the ceiling and accidentally fired it, said Abdul Pridgen, the city's police chief. A 17-year-old student was injured by a bullet fragment or by debris that fell from the ceiling, Pridgen said.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/calif ... index.html

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:37 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Whatcha gonna do, pass a law to get rid of them, and they'll all disappear?
So, is it your position that unless a law prevents every single possible gun crime, it's useless?

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:57 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Whatcha gonna do, pass a law to get rid of them, and they'll all disappear?
So, is it your position that unless a law prevents every single possible gun crime, it's useless?
I presented my position in a previous post. I would suggest that you actually read what I post before you engage in your kneejerk chastisement of me.

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
I presented my position in a previous post. I would suggest that you actually read what I post before you engage in your kneejerk chastisement of me.
If you'll note, I was replying to a specific quote of yours, one that appears with occasionally slightly different wording in nearly every one of your gun control posts. It's not my chastisement that's kneejerk; it's your automatic reaction to any gun control proposal.

Appa23

#12 Post by Appa23 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:20 am

silverscreenselect wrote: Unfortunately, most schools in this country don't have the budget for highly trained security officers. In many cases, they don't even have the budget for adequate books and supplies.
Fortunately, they do not necessarily have to have the budget. DOJ has a Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program that provides grants to schools to pay for SROs. The very facts that would seemingly keep a school district from being able to afford SROs for middle and high schools would be the facts that would support receiving grant funding.

I verified that every middle and high school in this area has SROs, whose benefits go well beyond merely security.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am

Appa23 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote: Unfortunately, most schools in this country don't have the budget for highly trained security officers. In many cases, they don't even have the budget for adequate books and supplies.
Fortunately, they do not necessarily have to have the budget. DOJ has a Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program that provides grants to schools to pay for SROs. The very facts that would seemingly keep a school district from being able to afford SROs for middle and high schools would be the facts that would support receiving grant funding.

I verified that every middle and high school in this area has SROs, whose benefits go well beyond merely security.
Agreed on both funding options and benefits. Our school has a sheriff's deputy who appears to both very competent and good at building relationships with the students in the building. I don't hear too many teachers complaining about Resource Officers.

I think even LEOs would admit, however, that schools might receive a wide variety of skill sets from this sort of program -- from the SWAT-trained fireeaters like the young man in Maryland to the coasting-into-retirement guys like at Parkland (that's an assumption, but it's based on both circumstantial evidence and knowledge of the job).
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

flockofseagulls104

#14 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:03 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
If you'll note, I was replying to a specific quote of yours, one that appears with occasionally slightly different wording in nearly every one of your gun control posts. It's not my chastisement that's kneejerk; it's your automatic reaction to any gun control proposal.
If you'll note, I was responding to an innane post by BJ. That was my mistake. It only encourages him. Your post was rather innane as well, hockey puck.

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:11 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: If you'll note, I was responding to an innane post by BJ. That was my mistake. It only encourages him. Your post was rather innane as well, hockey puck.
But you make pretty much the same comment in all your gun control posts, no matter who you are responding to.