I am treating myself today

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

I am treating myself today

#1 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:47 am

I have long wanted to get a shave at the barber shop with the hot towels and straight razor.

Well, I have 2 plus weeks growth of beard (my most ever) and an appointment at the barber. Pure ecstasy awaits.

Bob Juch

Re: I am treating myself today

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Spock wrote:I have long wanted to get a shave at the barber shop with the hot towels and straight razor.

Well, I have 2 plus weeks growth of beard (my most ever) and an appointment at the barber. Pure ecstasy awaits.
I think you'll regret it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Spock wrote:I have long wanted to get a shave at the barber shop with the hot towels and straight razor.

I got one once a few years ago. I flew directly from the Spring Nationals in New Orleans to New York, for an argument before the Appellate Division. Unfortunately, my shaver didn't make the second leg of the trip with me and due to a miscommunication with Ms. 63, my replacement shaver didn't reach me in time for the argument. Rather than appear in court unshaven, I found a barber shop that offered a shave.

I didn't think there was anything special about the experience, and it certainly wasn't worth the price to me. Perhaps Spock will have a different opinion. I'm quite certain he'll have a different price. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

I got one once a few years ago. I flew directly from the Spring Nationals in New Orleans to New York, for an argument before the Appellate Division. Unfortunately, my shaver didn't make the second leg of the trip with me and due to a miscommunication with Ms. 63, my replacement shaver didn't reach me in time for the argument. Rather than appear in court unshaven, I found a barber shop that offered a shave.

I didn't think there was anything special about the experience, and it certainly wasn't worth the price to me. Perhaps Spock will have a different opinion. I'm quite certain he'll have a different price. --Bob
Um, you couldn't buy one at the drugstore?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:07 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Um, you couldn't buy one at the drugstore?
There was already one on its way to me from Amazon (it arrived the afternoon of my hearing) so I thought that would be wasteful. I'm pretty sure getting the shave was cheaper and I will confess to some curiosity about the experience. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Best $20 I ever spent. Shave and a haircut at "Harry Blok's Barber Shop"-Seriously, that is his name.

It hurt a little more than I thought it would-going against the grain and all. However, absolutely relaxing at the same time.

Might have to make this a yearly splurge.

His price for haircuts is $14 but we get a family discount at $10. Me and the boys-even if we don't come in at the same time.

Plus me and Littlest Spock made the first photo run for "The Smoke of the Sioux." He needs driving hours for his license so we drove an hour west to get pictures of "Coteau des Prairies" (Head of the Prairies) AKA: "The Buffalo Ridge."

Haven't looked at the pictures yet, but I don't think they will turn out well.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:07 am

Spock wrote:He needs driving hours for his license so we drove an hour west to get pictures of "Coteau des Prairies" (Head of the Prairies) AKA: "The Buffalo Ridge."
Coteau means "hill," not "head." Put your 2 translations together to make "Ridge of the Prairies" and it is more accurate.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#8 Post by triviawayne » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:57 am

I did it once before a Millionaire audition, my beard is wiry, and I have sensitive skin so shaving is difficult, but I still do it daily.

I brought my own aftershave to use because of that sensitivity.

Was the best shave I ever had, I would go all the time if not for the expense.

mellytu74

#9 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Spock wrote:Best $20 I ever spent. Shave and a haircut at "Harry Blok's Barber Shop"-Seriously, that is his name.

It hurt a little more than I thought it would-going against the grain and all. However, absolutely relaxing at the same time.

Might have to make this a yearly splurge.

His price for haircuts is $14 but we get a family discount at $10. Me and the boys-even if we don't come in at the same time.

Plus me and Littlest Spock made the first photo run for "The Smoke of the Sioux." He needs driving hours for his license so we drove an hour west to get pictures of "Coteau des Prairies" (Head of the Prairies) AKA: "The Buffalo Ridge."

Haven't looked at the pictures yet, but I don't think they will turn out well.
Boonie has a periodic splurge on this as well. At his barbershop, Gus's.