"Active Killer"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

"Active Killer"

#1 Post by Appa23 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:30 am

With all of the conversations on the board, and not knowing everyone's background and training, I thought that I would pass along one item that I found interesting in the last training exercise that I did with Federal Protective Services and local police. They no longer use the term "active shooter", but rather "active killer" , to reflect the fact that the individual may have weapons other than a gun. Apparently, there have been instances where the report or announcement was of an "active shooter" and people were injured or killed because they were looking to avoid someone with a gun, not any weapon. We have changed the pre-programmed announcement in this building as a result, as well as our employee training.

silverscreenselect

Re: "Active Killer"

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Appa23 wrote:With all of the conversations on the board, and not knowing everyone's background and training, I thought that I would pass along one item that I found interesting in the last training exercise that I did with Federal Protective Services and local police. They no longer use the term "active shooter", but rather "active killer" , to reflect the fact that the individual may have weapons other than a gun. Apparently, there have been instances where the report or announcement was of an "active shooter" and people were injured or killed because they were looking to avoid someone with a gun, not any weapon. We have changed the pre-programmed announcement in this building as a result, as well as our employee training.

So, let me get this straight. People saw this guy and said to themselves, "it's okay, he doesn't have a gun. I want to stand next to him."
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Appa23

Re: "Active Killer"

#3 Post by Appa23 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:10 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Appa23 wrote:With all of the conversations on the board, and not knowing everyone's background and training, I thought that I would pass along one item that I found interesting in the last training exercise that I did with Federal Protective Services and local police. They no longer use the term "active shooter", but rather "active killer" , to reflect the fact that the individual may have weapons other than a gun. Apparently, there have been instances where the report or announcement was of an "active shooter" and people were injured or killed because they were looking to avoid someone with a gun, not any weapon. We have changed the pre-programmed announcement in this building as a result, as well as our employee training.

So, let me get this straight. People saw this guy and said to themselves, "it's okay, he doesn't have a gun. I want to stand next to him."
As I recall, the officer explained that when there were no gun shots being heard, people didn’t bunker in place and ran into the killer wielding the knife (or whatever).