New NFL catch rule proposed

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

New NFL catch rule proposed

#1 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 pm

That settles it.

So under these rules, the infamous Dez Bryant no-catch in the playoffs a few years back (Dallas vs GB) and the Jesse James no-touchdown play (Pitt vs NE) last year would both be legal catches.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Ritterskoop

Re: New NFL catch rule proposed

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:20 pm

I don't get why all of this is required for receivers for a TD but not runners.

Cross the plane with the ball in hand = TD. Catch the ball in the end zone should = TD.

There was even a playoff game this past season where they said it was OK because the receiver became a runner going into the end zone, so the fact that he lost the ball and then re-caught it didn't matter.

It shouldn't have mattered anyway. Ball crosses the plane, you score and the play stops. Yes, I see that the receiver must catch the ball once it crosses the plane, but just -- thunk, it hits the ribs or hands or whatever, and you secure it for an instant and that's it.

I guess "the ability to perform such an act" will resolve a lot of the problems with last season's rule.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.