R.I.P. Wayne Huizenga

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

R.I.P. Wayne Huizenga

#1 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:11 pm

H. Wayne Huizenga, South Florida business titan, dead at 80
Wayne Huizenga, whose restless entrepreneurial spirit led him to become the only U.S. businessman to found three Fortune 500 companies, has died.

He was 80.

“He succumbed to a decades-long battle with cancer. He was treated for cancer for years,” said Bob Henninger, executive vice president for Huizenga Holdings. “He fought a great fight. He died quietly.”
In creating companies including Waste Management, Blockbuster and AutoNation, Huizenga earned a reputation as a corporate alchemist, spinning fractured industries into consolidated empires that dominated the marketplace in trash collection, video rentals and automotive sales.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

bazodee

Re: R.I.P. Wayne Huizenga

#2 Post by bazodee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 pm

I wouldn't associate the word "steward" with him. His Marlins won the World Series in record time, and then he sold/traded the team's players so that he could get a better price when selling the team. Baseball doesn't/didn't need owners like him.

Nonetheless, RIP.