Sinclair's icky tactics

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Sinclair's icky tactics

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 pm

I was a little surprised that more news anchors forced to read Sinclair's script didn't either refuse or quit. I'm no longer so surprised. Apparently Sinclair has inserted into its employment agreements a six-month noncompete (illegal in California but legal in most states), a liquidated damages provision for 40% of annual salary, and a mandatory arbitration clause. So any news anchor who considered telling Sinclair to go jump in a lake was almost certainly facing, at a minimum, significant legal bills even if the noncompete and liquidated damages provisions are unenforceable.

I don't know whether it's legal to force people to publicly advocate views they disagree with or suffer a significant financial penalty. But if it is legal, it shouldn't be.

I think I need to start finding out who's advertising on Sinclair's news broadcasts. Because I don't think I care to do business with a company willing to be associated with, much less help finance, these tactics. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: Sinclair's icky tactics

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:28 pm

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.