Kauai (and Oahu) Report

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Kauai (and Oahu) Report

#1 Post by Spock » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:52 pm

To dispense with Oahu quickly. We were there for one day. Visited Pearl Harbor and stayed in the Waikiki area. OK, Oahu is done for a lifetime-no reason to go back.

I liked Kauai better than I thought I would. We ended up with a mustang convertible which was fun. We had great weather, I think it had been raining a lot prior to our visit and is expected to get a lot of rain in the coming weeks.

Best expedition was a boat tour of the NaPali Coast. It was awesome.

Best meal was a Santa Maria BBQ place in Kapaa. We ate there twice and I had the Santa Maria tri-tip platter both times.

Ate a lot of shrimp and rice and fish.

Personally, I liked the drier western areas of the island where there is still some agriculture. I like that my bookstore in Hanapepe was in this area and, just yards from the bookstore there was a sign that said "Hydraualic Hoses Repaired While You Wait."

Relatively speaking, I did not care for the lusher, wealthier north side of the island. Too many "Sotheby Real Estate" signs there for my taste.

Had a fun talk with one of the boat crew about books as the tour was nearing an end. I had bought a couple of books at my store that he had noticed. We talked a lot about David Quammen and he planned to order some of his stuff ASAP.

I now have the Big Island on my list. It has moved higher than I thought it would because I liked Kauai more than I thought it would-but I want volcanoes next time.

I am not much of a beach person. I like to walk aways down the beach, then I come back to where she is and sit in the shade and read a book for awhile.

mrkelley23

Re: Kauai (and Oahu) Report

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Spock wrote:To dispense with Oahu quickly. We were there for one day. Visited Pearl Harbor and stayed in the Waikiki area. OK, Oahu is done for a lifetime-no reason to go back.

I liked Kauai better than I thought I would. We ended up with a mustang convertible which was fun. We had great weather, I think it had been raining a lot prior to our visit and is expected to get a lot of rain in the coming weeks.

Best expedition was a boat tour of the NaPali Coast. It was awesome.

Best meal was a Santa Maria BBQ place in Kapaa. We ate there twice and I had the Santa Maria tri-tip platter both times.

Ate a lot of shrimp and rice and fish.

Personally, I liked the drier western areas of the island where there is still some agriculture. I like that my bookstore in Hanapepe was in this area and, just yards from the bookstore there was a sign that said "Hydraualic Hoses Repaired While You Wait."

Relatively speaking, I did not care for the lusher, wealthier north side of the island. Too many "Sotheby Real Estate" signs there for my taste.

Had a fun talk with one of the boat crew about books as the tour was nearing an end. I had bought a couple of books at my store that he had noticed. We talked a lot about David Quammen and he planned to order some of his stuff ASAP.

I now have the Big Island on my list. It has moved higher than I thought it would because I liked Kauai more than I thought it would-but I want volcanoes next time.

I am not much of a beach person. I like to walk aways down the beach, then I come back to where she is and sit in the shade and read a book for awhile.
Agreed on Oahu. Only reason we would return is for a return visit to Pearl, and the Arizona (Wendy's grandmother's first husband served there, and died later in the Pacific theater).

Agreed on the regions of Kauai, as well. We only visited Princeville on our way to the Napali coast tour, and did not return. Also agree on the Napali tour being one of the top three, if not the top highlight of our trip.

I like beaches, but I do very much what you're describing. I'm not good at sitting for too long, unless I have a book.

Big Island is way up on my list, because of all the science stuff there.

Welcome back -- glad you enjoyed it.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 am

Spock wrote:Best meal was a Santa Maria BBQ place in Kapaa. We ate there twice and I had the Santa Maria tri-tip platter both times.
So your best meals in Hawaii have been Californian BBQ. :)
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SpacemanSpiff

#4 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:51 am

Spock wrote:I now have the Big Island on my list. It has moved higher than I thought it would because I liked Kauai more than I thought it would-but I want volcanoes next time.
Something I recommend to anyone who goes to TBI. Avoid the helicopter tours and instead go on a tour with one with fixed wing aircraft. I think we used a place called Iolani Air (though it looks like they are out of business now), and it was the two of us and the very knowledgeable pilot in a four-seater plane. Got to see the entire island, including some lava flowing (the Puu'o'o vent had just opened up that morning), plus black sand and green sand beaches.

You get to go twice as far for half the cost.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:43 am

Estonut wrote:
Spock wrote:Best meal was a Santa Maria BBQ place in Kapaa. We ate there twice and I had the Santa Maria tri-tip platter both times.
Yep. I had aspirations during our 2016 California trip to get to Santa Marie, but it didn't work out.

While most Kauai meals were really good as I really like fish and shrimp and so forth, it is tough to beat good tri-tip.

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:27 am

Estonut wrote:
We went to Hawaii in the pre-Internet days of the late 80's where the best guide I had was books like Hawaii on $30 a Day and the Mobil and AAA Guides. We spent a week on Oahu and three days in Kauai (got to see the Fern Grotto and Waimea Canyon)

What I remember most about our meals was that we got away from the beach area most of the time and ate at local restaurants (one Chinese restaurant had a big framed picture of the owners with Jack Lord). Several times, we were the only haoles in the restaurant. The only place near the beach was a gay bar that featured huge sandwiches that, instead of a toothpick, had a knife to hold them together. They had dancing there as well and Mrs. SSS and I were the only couple there consisting of one male and one female.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 am

Twice we ate at a little hole in the wall place-once for lunch when we split a Bento Box and the next morning for breakfast.

The thing I can't figure out is why do people throw their debit/credit card numbers around everywhere with total abandon.

I carry a lot of cash (some well hidden) when we travel and I pay for meals and all incidentals with cash. I only pay for expeditions and so forth with the credit card.

Littlest Spock got his number stole somewhere and a good friend had his stolen in a restaurant in NYC.

I guess, even in regular life, I carry a lot of cash. I figure the less people that see that number the better.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Spock wrote:Twice we ate at a little hole in the wall place-once for lunch when we split a Bento Box and the next morning for breakfast.

The thing I can't figure out is why do people throw their debit/credit card numbers around everywhere with total abandon.

I carry a lot of cash (some well hidden) when we travel and I pay for meals and all incidentals with cash. I only pay for expeditions and so forth with the credit card.

Littlest Spock got his number stole somewhere and a good friend had his stolen in a restaurant in NYC.

I guess, even in regular life, I carry a lot of cash. I figure the less people that see that number the better.
I just had one of my cards compromised today. Two different charges for companies in Utah. Bank of America caught them using their fraud software.

99% of the time card numbers are stolen from hacks of big companies, like today's announcement that Saks and Lord & Taylor had been hacked for almost a year without detection. The rest are mostly waiters skimming the cards. Mine was probably a hack that hasn't been announced yet.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Spock wrote:The thing I can't figure out is why do people throw their debit/credit card numbers around everywhere with total abandon.

Sign of the times: I read an article in the business section of the Atlanta Journal a couple of weeks back about local restaurants that don't take cash anymore. Not too long ago, I remember restaurants having to be forced into accepting anything other than cash.

I use cash for almost all my weekly purchases except emergencies. It's a budgeting strategy I started back in my college days. I just give myself a weekly allowance and food, gas, entertainment, incidentals for the week come out of that. If I run short, I don't indulge. I've done that when I was strapped for cash and I still do it.

If you actually see that you're about to spend your "last" twenty dollar bill for the week, it has more of a psychological effect on you then merely reaching for the debit card.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:53 pm

silverscreenselect wrote: Several times, we were the only haoles in the restaurant.
It's spelled a-holes.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:05 am

I had my social security # stolen by someone who bought houses & cars with a couple/three made-up names that had the syllables of mine moved around & the gender changed. No credit card was ever touched in this process.