A Final Plea For Neutrality

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

A Final Plea For Neutrality

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:38 am

On posts that aren't obviously political.

Seriously, folks. Please, PLEASE knock it the fuck off.

I see enough of that bullshit on Facebook. People on both sides of the fence posting volatile crap, often from some sketchy website that is REALLY "fake news"..again, from both sides...hurling insults, etc. I put up with it and skim past that as much as possible (although on occasion I have not been able to resist pointing out an extreme non-fact or "liking" a particular post), because Facebook is a very handy way to stay in touch at a moment's notice with far flung friends and family members.

Here, though, it is so easy to keep those few of us remaining who prefer to stay out of the debates happy. Just keep the snarky political jabs out of threads that have nothing to do with the topic. By all means, post your political debates (of course you DO know that both sides are basically arguing with a brick wall, but hey, knock yourselves out)...just make sure that those of us who don't care to participate know what to avoid, and leave the politics out of threads in which they don't belong. It ain't that difficult. To be honest, the "witticisms" I've recently encountered (one on each side, by the way, in just the past couple of days, on non-political topics) were not so brilliant that they negated how pissed I was at being blindsided by them. So pissed that I was ready to kiss this place goodbye. Not that anyone is going to lose sleep if I were to do so, but I've about had it.

I realize that the show that brought this community together in the first place is no longer the focal point of discussions on this Bored. And that most of that community has moved on to other amusements, but there ARE still folks here I'd like to keep in touch with....even though it's almost to the point where the name should be changed from "WWTBAM Bored" to "Pointless Political Bickering Bored".

Keep bickering, by all means. Just allow others to avoid stepping on fucking landmines.

Please.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

a1mamacat

Re: A Final Plea For Neutrality

#2 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:02 am

Rec
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:47 pm

With ya, buddy! Don't go.

It's so easy to add "Political" to a thread title, or make the title obviously something from that arena, and then yeah, keep it out of other threads.

I do find it helps to log in, so that my foes list works - but then there is no point in opening some threads, because everyone in them (both sides) is obscured. But most of the time, the thread title is a good signal to stay away.

I wonder if it would be worth setting up and promoting a separate subforum, like the Friday Night Gender Defender area? If you want to snark, or genuinely ask a question on a touchy topic, go here.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

CarShark

#4 Post by CarShark » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:15 pm

This is part of the reason why I have gone back to lurking on this board. This is ostensibly a place to discuss a game show. Yet the transcript threads are barren on a daily basis, and the food fight threads are the only ones that get any traffic. Mosher reported a couple months back that GSN was going to rerun the Harrison episodes, which is the first time the syndie show got any love in Harveyfeudland for...what, six or seven years? No one gave a damn. Back to the foxholes. I understand that the daytime show is in a big rut. The question difficulty has been ratcheted up. The contestants are too timid. There hasn't been a million dollar question in 4 1/2 years. There hasn't been a million dollar winner in regular play in fifteen. Still, I find myself enjoying the show more often than not and wish to talk about it with like-minded people somewhere. I just don't know if this place is that somewhere anymore.

This is a sincere question: Do people actually care about Who Wants to Be a Millionaire anymore?

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 pm

CarShark wrote:This is part of the reason why I have gone back to lurking on this board. This is ostensibly a place to discuss a game show. Yet the transcript threads are barren on a daily basis, and the food fight threads are the only ones that get any traffic. Mosher reported a couple months back that GSN was going to rerun the Harrison episodes, which is the first time the syndie show got any love in Harveyfeudland for...what, six or seven years? No one gave a damn. Back to the foxholes. I understand that the daytime show is in a big rut. The question difficulty has been ratcheted up. The contestants are too timid. There hasn't been a million dollar question in 4 1/2 years. There hasn't been a million dollar winner in regular play in fifteen. Still, I find myself enjoying the show more often than not and wish to talk about it with like-minded people somewhere. I just don't know if this place is that somewhere anymore.

This is a sincere question: Do people actually care about Who Wants to Be a Millionaire anymore?
Yeah, it's about a 3 on my giveashit list.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:With ya, buddy! Don't go.

It's so easy to add "Political" to a thread title, or make the title obviously something from that arena, and then yeah, keep it out of other threads.

I do find it helps to log in, so that my foes list works - but then there is no point in opening some threads, because everyone in them (both sides) is obscured. But most of the time, the thread title is a good signal to stay away.

I wonder if it would be worth setting up and promoting a separate subforum, like the Friday Night Gender Defender area? If you want to snark, or genuinely ask a question on a touchy topic, go here.
How about a "safe room" for the snowflakes?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
How about a "safe room" for the snowflakes?
That's not a terrible idea, except we snowflakes far outnumber those who snipe regularly.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:56 pm

PS, I wish I knew why we are called snowflakes.

Except I probably don't.
--------

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:20 pm

you don't get to call yourself a snowflake if you voted for ####### sorry, political trigger-almost.

Those of us who have not gotten to play care about the game.

And yes, they definitely have made questions harder & contestants generally less apt though certainly telegenic. (I was telegenic enough for ROF fodder, as I was cast into that, but not for straight-to-play.)

Taking away PAF was lethal; players are left with one helper who usually is family, & not any kind of expert.

People who didn't watch the run should watch the Ogi show to see what terrific player but who definitely does care about the $$ can do.

You may consider it political, but I feel caring about the $$ is a big factor. If you don't care/need it, you'll take stupid chances. If you care/need it too much, you'll take *no* chances.

And when celebs come to play for charity, they should get CELEBS WHO CAN DO TRIVIA.

J! does. So its possible.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Ritterskoop:

Watch out all, semipolitical:

"snowflake" is what TV screechers of XXXX orientation took to calling anybody who said they wanted to be warned if a topic came up that they are sensitive about.

I presume its meant to mean the snowflakes (a) think they are unique, like snowflakes, & (b) will melt, like snowflakes.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:36 pm

ghostjmf wrote:you don't get to call yourself a snowflake if you voted for ####### sorry, political trigger-almost.
I thought BobJuch was calling me and T-Bone snowflakes because I asked for a separate forum, but now I am confused. I will say who I voted for if that clears anything up, but it seems to go against the point the original post was trying to make.
--------

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:38 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Ritterskoop:

"snowflake" is what TV screechers of XXXX orientation took to calling anybody who said they wanted to be warned if a topic came up that they are sensitive about.
But why, is my question. What does snow have to do with anything? Does it have to do with being white?

Apropos of nothing except it involves snow, a horse named Snow Thunder won a big race today in Dubai.
--------

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:46 pm

Ritterskoop:

The ether ate my answer.

2nd try: The Screechers say people whose political orientation they disdain are snowflakes because (a) those people think they are unique, as actual snowflakes are said to be, & (b) being exposed to stuff they want to be warned away from supposedly could make the "snowflakes" melt away, like actual snowflakes.

A lot of people who get called snowflakes are not white, to also answer your question.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:51 pm

CarShark wrote:This is a sincere question: Do people actually care about Who Wants to Be a Millionaire anymore?
Well, TPTB ran away from the one thing that made this show uniquely attractive to me. And then, over a a number of years, they slowly crushed all of my hopes of ever landing in the Hot Seat (excuse me, standing at the Hot Podium or whatever it is that they've never even bothered naming). And then they moved across country, so that even a casual "for fun" audition is prohibitively burdensome.

WWTBAM is no longer "must see TV" for me. I still record it on my DVR, but many of last season's episodes ended up being deleted, unwatched. And when I do watch an episode, it's so late that participating in a Transcript Thread is anything but timely.

I still care about WWTBAM, in a hypothetical sense. Say, if Chris Harrison ever had the nerve, even for one special theme week, to allow contestant to qualify the old-fashioned way, without having to pass muster with an AP first.

But, alas, pigs still don't fly.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:53 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:Ritterskoop:

But why, is my question. What does snow have to do with anything? Does it have to do with being white?

Apropos of nothing except it involves snow, a horse named Snow Thunder won a big race today in Dubai.
I think snowflakes started because every snowflake is individual, but some came to be characterized as special. Just another trope.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:you don't get to call yourself a snowflake if you voted for ####### sorry, political trigger-almost.
I thought BobJuch was calling me and T-Bone snowflakes because I asked for a separate forum, but now I am confused. I will say who I voted for if that clears anything up, but it seems to go against the point the original post was trying to make.
I was not calling you snowflakes; it seems you were trying to protect snowflakes though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(slang)

ghostjmf

#17 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:53 pm

slightly-political warning:

Ritterskoop: I was being sarcastic, because I thought you had told us your vote in the last election a while ago. Or at least strongly indicated it. I am too lazy to look it up.

Anyway, that was the party that calls many people of other parties "snowflakes".

But its clear that people of many different types of politics can be snowflaky about various topics.

Whatever their political affiliation.

ether ate a longer answer, again.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Since I'm one of the primary offenders in regard to political posts, I will try to avoid putting my two cents worth in on non-political threads in the future.

But I don't think that's all we talk about here, and I would really hate to see this Bored turn into another version of the Jeopardy Bored in which you get endless discussions of proper betting strategy but the only thing people share about their personal lives has do with auditions and tapings.

While we don't get into discussions of Millionaire episodes and tapings and auditions much, there is a lot of trivia and game playing here with Frank's and Vandal's games and the others who post them from time to time, and, more important, a lot about people's personal lives, something that gives me a feel of camaraderie with the other Bored members. I feel bad about the people we've already lost on this Bored, and I'd hate to lose more.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#19 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:23 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Since I'm one of the primary offenders in regard to political posts, I will try to avoid putting my two cents worth in on non-political threads in the future.

But I don't think that's all we talk about here, and I would really hate to see this Bored turn into another version of the Jeopardy Bored in which you get endless discussions of proper betting strategy but the only thing people share about their personal lives has do with auditions and tapings.

While we don't get into discussions of Millionaire episodes and tapings and auditions much, there is a lot of trivia and game playing here with Frank's and Vandal's games and the others who post them from time to time, and, more important, a lot about people's personal lives, something that gives me a feel of camaraderie with the other Bored members. I feel bad about the people we've already lost on this Bored, and I'd hate to lose more.

But see, that's exactly what I was trying to say. I come here for the camaraderie too, the fun and games when available, the escape that used to be this place. If others want to bicker/argue/snipe at each other over politics, fine. Just leave me out of it. I am just sick and tired of seemingly not being able to turn anywhere without someone bringing politics into it. Especially when civil discourse is rarely part of the equation anymore. In my opinion, there is no need for political snark in threads about NON-political RIP's or music. That's just unnecessary baiting, poking a pointy stick in an inappropriate setting and I felt the need to address it. We should be better than that.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
I was not calling you snowflakes; it seems you were trying to protect snowflakes though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(slang)

Sure sounded like you were.

At any rate, I don't consider myself one. I really hate that term and the way it is used. Whatever the definition used to be, it is mainly thrown at someone these days to imply that the person is a weak, delicate person who is afraid of conflict, not a "tough guy" in any sense. I've seen it used against liberals more than conservatives, by a wide margin.

Being somewhat of a liberal bent (although with a few conservative opinions as well), that tends to piss me off.

I deal with adversity every day of my life. So sue me if I come here looking for a little respite from that. I don't need a "separate" place. Just the ability to steer clear of the downright nasty posts that show up consistently when the Bored lefties and righties collide. To use non-political threads to fire a cheap shot solely designed to piss the "opposition" off is, plain and simple, disrespectful to those of us who would prefer to argue politics elsewhere.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#21 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:03 pm

So, T-Bone, if you have no other rooting interests for the next ten minutes, let's root for Sister Jean and Loyola!
--------

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#22 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:So, T-Bone, if you have no other rooting interests for the next ten minutes, let's root for Sister Jean and Loyola!
Crud, they're...
Well, then

BackInTex

#23 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:14 pm

Hmmm. Tried to determine the straw for this thread (hoping it was not me as I have "bitten my tongue" recently to avoid doing exactly what T-bone is pleading us not to do). I went on all threads back to Wednesday and other than Flock's gun comment in the Staub RIP, I saw nothing. So I guess that was the straw. I hope my comical comeback to that was not part of the trigger. I was trying to keep it "light". Anyway, if I've done what T-bone is asking us not to, I'm sorry. I agree with him, let's keep politics with the politics and the fun free from the non-fun.

And I'm rooting for the Sister and her flock.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#24 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:42 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Since I'm one of the primary offenders in regard to political posts, I will try to avoid putting my two cents worth in on non-political threads in the future.

But see, that's exactly what I was trying to say. I come here for the camaraderie too, the fun and games when available, the escape that used to be this place. If others want to bicker/argue/snipe at each other over politics, fine. Just leave me out of it. I am just sick and tired of seemingly not being able to turn anywhere without someone bringing politics into it. Especially when civil discourse is rarely part of the equation anymore. In my opinion, there is no need for political snark in threads about NON-political RIP's or music. That's just unnecessary baiting, poking a pointy stick in an inappropriate setting and I felt the need to address it. We should be better than that.
Especially ironic to see it happen it THIS thread, too!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:Hmmm. Tried to determine the straw for this thread (hoping it was not me as I have "bitten my tongue" recently to avoid doing exactly what T-bone is pleading us not to do). I went on all threads back to Wednesday and other than Flock's gun comment in the Staub RIP, I saw nothing. So I guess that was the straw. I hope my comical comeback to that was not part of the trigger. I was trying to keep it "light". Anyway, if I've done what T-bone is asking us not to, I'm sorry. I agree with him, let's keep politics with the politics and the fun free from the non-fun.

I think you are correct in determining the straw, because I was about to do a Butthead style bitchslapping of him and tell him to settle down, Beavis. Inserting that comment into the Staub thread once was bad enough, but then he went and did it again after your malt liquor response. Willingly inserting political snipes into innocuous threads is what pisses those of us off who really are tired of listening to all the back and forth shit... and flock apparently doesn't realize or care about that. Keep the crap in the threads that are clearly political...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com