Worst Baseball Whine of the Season in Only Week 1

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Re: Worst Baseball Whine of the Season in Only Week 1

#26 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 am

silverscreenselect wrote: Pete Rose would have had a field day with a shift, since he was perfectly capable of slapping the ball the other way for three or four hits a game.
Want to bet?

:P
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#27 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 am

ToLiveIsToFly wrote: And if your argument is that pitchers should be able to handle a higher workload without breaking, maybe Koufax isn't the best example to cite.

I'll get off your lawn if you'll quit shaking your fist.

Pitchers these days can't handle a LIGHTER workload these days without breaking. Every other day someone is undergoing Tommy John surgery, some are on their SECOND one, a lot of 'em before they even hit the majors. We'll be at the point soon where teams will have their newly signed/drafted young pitchers have TJ before they even set foot on a mound and before they even need it...y'know, get it out of the way with ahead of time. All of the coddling they're doing for these guys doesn't seem to be working to me. Maybe one problem is that, along with the focus for batters on hitting the ball out of the park, it doesn't seem that teams will even look at a guy unless he's throwing close to 100MPH.

I KNOW the game has changed since the days of Bob Gibson. Maybe that's the point. Those of us that have loved the game since we were kids 300 years ago don't particularly care for where the game is going. Baseball and its fans have been, by far, the most resistant to change of all the sports. Now MLB is bound and determined to attract young folks to the game, which is all well and good, but it seems like most of these changes, proposed or implemented, are designed to appeal to the no attention span, in need of constant sensory stimulation, Playstation 4 crowd, in an attempt to get them to look up from its texting on occasion. We of a more traditional mindset ask.."then, is it really Baseball they're they're attempting to draw younger fans to?"

Some of the things being bandied about are pretty ridiculous. Starting off an inning with a runner on 2nd once you get to a certain extra inning (the 11th, I think) is one. But the one that really had steam pouring out of my ears was the one some genius proposed in which the team that was behind in the 9th could send up any 3 batters they like, regardless of who was SCHEDULED to hit. Never mind that it would quite possibly create situations that would send the game into extra innings, thus increasing their precious cutting down on game time desires. For me, listening to some of these ideas lead me to believe that the next step would be installing kegs of beer at 1st and 3rd.

In conclusion, may I just add..

Get off my lawn as well :lol: :lol: :lol:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#28 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 am

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote: Pete Rose would have had a field day with a shift, since he was perfectly capable of slapping the ball the other way for three or four hits a game.
Want to bet?

:P

I don't care who y'are, that's funny right there.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#29 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:08 am

Estonut wrote:In today's game, the Angels were hitless in the 5th inning when shortstop Andrelton Simmons noticed the Cleveland third baseman positioned very deep. He bunted and outran the throw to first.

Now, the interwebs are whining about him breaking one of the biggest unwritten rules of baseball by bunting to break up a no-hitter. I call BS. It was 1 out in the 5th inning, so there was plenty of game left. If the leadoff batter in the game bunts, is that a no-no for breaking up a no-hitter, too? When, exactly, is the unwritten cut-off?

Tom Hanks' line in "A League of Their Own" that there's no crying in Baseball needs to be updated to include whining.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck