RIP Joel Franklin

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

RIP Joel Franklin

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:03 am

I just received my alumni magazine and learned, to my sorrow, that one of my old teachers, Professor Joel Franklin, passed away. I can't say that I knew any of the faculty members particularly well, but Professor Franklin always struck me as one of the nicest people on campus.

He was also a wonderful teacher. I was a pure math major and Professor Franklin was in the applied mathematics department, but I took his linear programming and game theory course on a whim. It rapidly became my favorite class. His teaching was exceptionally clear and interesting. He even threw in, for no particular pedagogic reason that I've ever been able to discern, a proof of the "hairy ball" theorem. When I went to grad school I put his teaching to good use, because I was one of the few students in the department who could serve as a TA for our game theory course.

Professor Franklin joined the faculty in 1957 so I'm sure his passing was from natural causes of one sort or another. He will be missed. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson