Trump Proposal Will Politicize Species Protections

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Trump Proposal Will Politicize Species Protections

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Center for Biological Diversity wrote:The Trump administration is kicking its war on wildlife into a new gear.

This week the Interior Department proposed a rule that would effectively withhold most protections for any species that are added to the endangered species list and designated as "threatened."

In the past, "threatened" species were given the same protections as those designated as "endangered." The new proposal, quietly sent to the White House this week, will allow the Trump administration to decide on those protections on a case-by-case basis.

"It's hard to imagine the Trump administration ever doing anything that provides additional help for species that are flirting with extinction," said the Center for Biological Diversity's Noah Greenwald. "This proposal is a disaster in the making."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

Re: Trump Proposal Will Politicize Species Protections

#2 Post by Spock » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Center for Biological Diversity wrote:The Trump administration is kicking its war on wildlife into a new gear.

This week the Interior Department proposed a rule that would effectively withhold most protections for any species that are added to the endangered species list and designated as "threatened."

In the past, "threatened" species were given the same protections as those designated as "endangered." The new proposal, quietly sent to the White House this week, will allow the Trump administration to decide on those protections on a case-by-case basis.

"It's hard to imagine the Trump administration ever doing anything that provides additional help for species that are flirting with extinction," said the Center for Biological Diversity's Noah Greenwald. "This proposal is a disaster in the making."
I take second place to no one here in actual land and wildlife conservation experience and it should be noted that if species protections are too stringent-"Shoot, Shovel and Shut up" becomes a factor if endangered/threatened provisions are too tight.

Bob Juch

Re: Trump Proposal Will Politicize Species Protections

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

I take second place to no one here in actual land and wildlife conservation experience and it should be noted that if species protections are too stringent-"Shoot, Shovel and Shut up" becomes a factor if endangered/threatened provisions are too tight.
As opposed to what? "Shoot and stuff it?"
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.