DHS wants information on journalists

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Re: DHS wants information on journalists

#26 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:31 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Yes I read it before posting, and my post didn’t say there was anything wrong with it. What I said (well, implied) was that we should treat the information collected from gun owners the same way. But right now it’s illegal to make that information text searchable. Let’s apply the same standards in that context and see how long the right stays quiet. —Bob
Nice backtrack on crazy implications.
So you agree with me that the federal law making it illegal to make the stored gun-sale information text-searchable should be repealed? --Bob
So, bob-tel, you want the federal government to know the names and addresses of everyone who owns a gun? And by text-searchable, do you mean that in addition to letting the federal government know the names and addresses of everyone who owns a gun, you want that information available to the general public? If so, you are even more insane than I thought. I think we should have a mandatory mental health screening for lawyers. But then again, if we did, there wouldn't be any. And, unfortunately, there is a need for a few of them.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#27 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:12 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Nice backtrack on crazy implications.
So you agree with me that the federal law making it illegal to make the stored gun-sale information text-searchable should be repealed? --Bob
So, bob-tel, you want the federal government to know the names and addresses of everyone who owns a gun? And by text-searchable, do you mean that in addition to letting the federal government know the names and addresses of everyone who owns a gun, you want that information available to the general public? If so, you are even more insane than I thought. I think we should have a mandatory mental health screening for lawyers. But then again, if we did, there wouldn't be any. And, unfortunately, there is a need for a few of them.
The federal government already has (or should have) a form recording every gun sale from a gun store in America. Police like to use that data to backtrace weapons that were used in crimes. But those forms reside in a ginormous warehouse in West Virginia. They've been scanned to PDF to save storage space, but by federal law, they can't be scanned to searchable PDFs. So searching through these records must be, and is, done by hand. I imagine the same is true if you want to ascertain whether someone who's just had a restraining order entered against him has previously bought a gun.

That's flocking insane. But if you're willing to trust the government with this information regarding journalists (whose words are much less dangerous than firearms), I don't see the problem with trusting the government with the ability to search this information regarding owners of firearms (information that the government already has). Why are you more afraid of journalists than you are of owners of firearms? It seems to me that your priorities are seriously flocked. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#28 Post by BackInTex » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:20 am

Bob78164 wrote:.. journalists (whose words are much less dangerous than firearms)
Really? That is your belief? smh
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob Juch

#29 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:13 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:So you agree with me that the federal law making it illegal to make the stored gun-sale information text-searchable should be repealed? --Bob
The federal government already has (or should have) a form recording every gun sale from a gun store in America. Police like to use that data to backtrace weapons that were used in crimes. But those forms reside in a ginormous warehouse in West Virginia. They've been scanned to PDF to save storage space, but by federal law, they can't be scanned to searchable PDFs. So searching through these records must be, and is, done by hand. I imagine the same is true if you want to ascertain whether someone who's just had a restraining order entered against him has previously bought a gun.

That's flocking insane. But if you're willing to trust the government with this information regarding journalists (whose words are much less dangerous than firearms), I don't see the problem with trusting the government with the ability to search this information regarding owners of firearms (information that the government already has). Why are you more afraid of journalists than you are of owners of firearms? It seems to me that your priorities are seriously flocked. --Bob
Since there's no form required for person-to-person or gun show sales, that's not very useful.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#30 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:So you agree with me that the federal law making it illegal to make the stored gun-sale information text-searchable should be repealed? --Bob

Hey bob-tel, You might want to actually read my post before you knee-jerkingly respond. I specifically said I don't trust the federal government with ANY information like this, be it who owns guns or information about journalists.
The government does not need to and should not be in the business of collecting either kind of data. They can't be trusted with it.
Look what the IRS did to the Tea Party groups. And see what the consequences were to those who used that information for partisan purposes. I think those consequences were exactly zero. That is just one glaring example. You seem to be only interested in the government having information that helps your party and your narrative. Not surprising, based on your pronouncement when trump was elected. We all know what your flocking priorities are.
Shall I add illiterate to your official titles?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton