DHS wants information on journalists

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

DHS wants information on journalists

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:10 pm

This is a Request for Information by DHS for a system that would collect information on journalists worldwide. There is, however, no information whatsoever on why the government wants this information.

Conservatives are usually up in arms over the possibility that government might collect basic information on gun owners. I wonder how they'll react to this. My prediction: crickets from the right. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: DHS wants information on journalists

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:30 pm

That is not a gov site.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Beebs52 wrote:That is not a gov site.
The .gov address suggests to me that it is. Why am I mistaken? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Can't open the file either.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Beebs52 wrote:That is not a gov site.
Yes, it is. Notice the ".gov" domain?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Can't open the file either.
When I clicked on the link to the Word document, it downloaded to my computer (lower left corner of my browser window). It didn't open in a separate browser window. I didn't try to open the Zip file. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Site isn't available. Try this .com
https://uscontractorregistration.com/search-federal-co
Well, then

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Can't open the file either.
When I clicked on the link to the Word document, it downloaded to my computer (lower left corner of my browser window). It didn't open in a separate browser window. I didn't try to open the Zip file. --Bob
I had no problem. Here are the guts:

2.0 SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS/TASKS

2.1 Tasks One: Online & Social Media Monitoring

Ability to track global online sources for coverage relevant to Washington and the six media hubs:
• Ability to track > 290,000 global news sources
• Ability to track online, print, broadcast, cable, radio, trade and industry publications, local sources, national/international outlets, traditional news sources, and social media
• Ability to track media coverage in > 100 languages, including Arabic, Chinese and Russian. Translation function to instantly translate these articles to English.
• Ability to create up to 20 searches with each unlimited keywords
• Unlimited coverage per search (no cap on coverage)
• Ability to change the searches at keywords at any given time
• Ability to create unlimited data tracking, statistical breakdown, and graphical analyses on any coverage on an ad-hoc basis

2.2 Task Two: Media Intelligence and Benchmarking Dashboard Platform

24/7 Access to a password protected, online platform for users to access:
• Overview of search results in terms of online articles and social media conversations
• Customized and Interactive Dashboard that provide real-time monitoring, analysis, and benchmark of media coverage.
• Ability to analyze the media coverage in terms of content, volume, sentiment, geographical spread, top publications, media channels, reach, AVE, top posters, influencers, languages, momentum, circulation.
• Ability to select time-period of analysis: per day, week, month, and selected dates
• Ability to build media lists based on beat, location, outlet type/size, and journalist role
• Automated weekly overview of these dashboards sent via email
2.3 Task Three: Email Alerts

Daily email alerts with new search results:
• Ability to customize these email alerts per user
2.4 Task Four: Access to Mobile app

24/7 Access to a password protected, mobile app for users to access:
• Overview of search results in terms of online articles and social media conversations
• Ability to view coverage written in Arabic, Chinese and Russian. Ability to access English translation of this coverage within the mobile app.
• Ability to set up push notifications to be alerted of new search results
• Ability to forward media coverage via email, sms or what’s app
2.5 Task Five: Media Engagement

24/7 Access to a password protected, media influencer database, including journalists, editors, correspondents, social media influencers, bloggers etc.
• Ability to browse the database based on location, beat and type of influencer
• Ability to perform ad-hoc searches on the database based on keywords, concepts, or using Boolean search terms
• Ability to perform searches in other languages including Arabic, Chinese and Russian, in order to find influencers that publish in these languages.
• For each influencer found, present contact details and any other information that could be relevant, including publications this influencer writes for, and an overview of the previous coverage published by the media influencer
• Ability to create unlimited media lists for specific topics
• Ability to export the contact details of the media influencers per media list.
• Ability to send out unlimited press releases via the platform and to monitor the open-rate of the press releases send out.
• Ability to manage contacts
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Site isn't available. Try this .com
https://uscontractorregistration.com/search-federal-co
When I clicked on your link I got a 404 error. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Still can't find site independently, but downloaded the file. Have no idea what it means actually. Open mind
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Bob78164 wrote:This is a Request for Information by DHS for a system that would collect information on journalists worldwide. There is, however, no information whatsoever on why the government wants this information.

Conservatives are usually up in arms over the possibility that government might collect basic information on gun owners. I wonder how they'll react to this. My prediction: crickets from the right. --Bob
I'm a conservative and I would be upset by either thing. The government does not need to and should not be in the business of collecting either kind of data. They can't be trusted with it. You, however, are up in arms about the possibility of the government collecting data about journalists, but I would bet you would be ok with them collecting data about gun owners. That would be called hypocrisy.

But the thing is, bob-tel. I'm not too upset, because I don't believe very much of anything you post here. You have turned into just as much of an idiot rabble-rouser as BJ, always posting what the next doomsday date we will have because of trump. Cry wolf somewhere else, bob-tel.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:04 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This is a Request for Information by DHS for a system that would collect information on journalists worldwide. There is, however, no information whatsoever on why the government wants this information.

I'm a conservative and I would be upset by either thing. The government does not need to and should not be in the business of collecting either kind of data. They can't be trusted with it. You, however, are up in arms about the possibility of the government collecting data about journalists, but I would bet you would be ok with them collecting data about gun owners. That would be called hypocrisy.

But the thing is, bob-tel. I'm not too upset, because I don't believe very much of anything you post here. You have turned into just as much of an idiot rabble-rouser as BJ, always posting what the next doomsday date we will have because of trump. Cry wolf somewhere else, bob-tel.
All you have to do is read the link I posted to the actual government request, on the actual government Web site. But you're too flocking brainwashed to believe your own eyes. --Bob

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:44 am

Bob78164 wrote:All you have to do is read the link I posted to the actual government request, on the actual government Web site. But you're too flocking brainwashed to believe your own eyes. --Bob
Did you read it? What do you find wrong with a government monitoring social media and new reports? They should. The worst thing is a government that neither cares nor knows what is going on in the world and what the world is talking about. Especially these days.

I know Trump is president and you're afraid he'll grab you but every administration had been doing this as long as there has been printed media.

Seeing that you formed a negative opinion before you even read the document is telling.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

jarnon

#14 Post by jarnon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:51 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:All you have to do is read the link I posted to the actual government request, on the actual government Web site. But you're too flocking brainwashed to believe your own eyes. --Bob
Did you read it? What do you find wrong with a government monitoring social media and new reports? They should. The worst thing is a government that neither cares nor knows what is going on in the world and what the world is talking about. Especially these days.

I know Trump is president and you're afraid he'll grab you but every administration had been doing this as long as there has been printed media.

Seeing that you formed a negative opinion before you even read the document is telling.
No problem with tracking media coverage of issues. But the database also has identifying information on journalists, both domestic and foreign. The intent may be to unmask “journalists” who are really propagandists. But this administration has already retaliated against legitimate reporters who they disagree with.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 am

jarnon wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

No problem with tracking media coverage of issues. But the database also has identifying information on journalists, both domestic and foreign. The intent may be to unmask “journalists” who are really propagandists. But this administration has already retaliated against legitimate reporters who they disagree with.
Past administration did the same.
Well, then

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:21 am

jarnon wrote:No problem with tracking media coverage of issues. But the database also has identifying information on journalists, both domestic and foreign. The intent may be to unmask “journalists” who are really propagandists. But this administration has already retaliated against legitimate reporters who they disagree with.
No much use in identifying a threat if you close your eyes to who the actors may be. Thankfully those in charge understand that to act on information you need to have it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:44 am

Beebs52 wrote:Still can't find site independently, but downloaded the file. Have no idea what it means actually. Open mind
Huh? "independently"?! That's the official government site.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Still can't find site independently, but downloaded the file. Have no idea what it means actually. Open mind
Huh? "independently"?! That's the official government site.
I kept getting error messages each time. That is all. Worked today. Chill
Well, then

Appa23

#19 Post by Appa23 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:58 pm

I actually had to check the date to make sure that this was not a thread from last Sunday, and Bob and others were posting a joke.

Nope! Just apparently a bunch of people who must have let their political tendencies cloud their reading comprehension.

This is a acquistion for DHS to be able to track media stories about it and its programs, so that it can better shape its messages / media releases.

The "personal info" that some here have found so scandalous is simply their publicly-available info (name. phone #, and e-mail) collected into a single site. Every agency has issued contracts for the same PAO-related services.

The fact that anyone found a standard contract acquisition to be so nefarious is hilarious.

Do you really think that the government would issue a "media spying" contract on FedBizOps, open competition, and with a one-week delivery date? :roll:
Last edited by Appa23 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Appa23

#20 Post by Appa23 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:00 pm

I do. Bob#s is full of shitake mushrooms.

Appa23

#21 Post by Appa23 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:01 pm

jarnon wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

No, it doesn't.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#22 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Appa23 wrote:
I do. Bob#s is full of shitake mushrooms.
Thx. I was hoping someone who deals with guv bids would speak up...
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:25 pm

BackInTex wrote:

Yes I read it before posting, and my post didn’t say there was anything wrong with it. What I said (well, implied) was that we should treat the information collected from gun owners the same way. But right now it’s illegal to make that information text searchable. Let’s apply the same standards in that context and see how long the right stays quiet. —Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Yes I read it before posting, and my post didn’t say there was anything wrong with it. What I said (well, implied) was that we should treat the information collected from gun owners the same way. But right now it’s illegal to make that information text searchable. Let’s apply the same standards in that context and see how long the right stays quiet. —Bob
Nice backtrack on crazy implications.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Nice backtrack on crazy implications.
So you agree with me that the federal law making it illegal to make the stored gun-sale information text-searchable should be repealed? --Bob