2018 Pulitzer Prize Winners

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

2018 Pulitzer Prize Winners

#1 Post by Vandal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Public Service
The New York Times, for reporting led by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, and The New Yorker, for reporting by Ronan Farrow

For explosive, impactful journalism that exposed powerful and wealthy sexual predators, including allegations against one of Hollywood’s most influential producers, bringing them to account for long-suppressed allegations of coercion, brutality and victim silencing, thus spurring a worldwide reckoning about sexual abuse of women.

Breaking News Reporting
Staff of The Press Democrat, Santa Rosa, Calif.

For lucid and tenacious coverage of historic wildfires that ravaged the city of Santa Rosa and Sonoma County, expertly utilizing an array of tools, including photography, video and social media platforms, to bring clarity to its readers — in real time and in subsequent in-depth reporting.

Investigative Reporting
Staff of The Washington Post

For purposeful and relentless reporting that changed the course of a Senate race in Alabama by revealing a candidate’s alleged past sexual harassment of teenage girls and subsequent efforts to undermine the journalism that exposed it.

Explanatory Reporting
Staffs of The Arizona Republic and USA Today Network

For vivid and timely reporting that masterfully combined text, video, podcasts and virtual reality to examine, from multiple perspectives, the difficulties and unintended consequences of fulfilling President Trump's pledge to construct a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.

Local Reporting
The Cincinnati Enquirer Staff

For a riveting and insightful narrative and video documenting seven days of greater Cincinnati's heroin epidemic, revealing how the deadly addiction has ravaged families and communities.

National Reporting
Staffs of The New York Times and The Washington Post

For deeply sourced, relentlessly reported coverage in the public interest that dramatically furthered the nation’s understanding of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and its connections to the Trump campaign, the President-elect’s transition team and his eventual administration. (The New York Times entry, submitted in this category, was moved into contention by the Board and then jointly awarded the Prize.)

International Reporting
Clare Baldwin, Andrew R.C. Marshall and Manuel Mogato of Reuters

For relentless reporting that exposed the brutal killing campaign behind Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs.

Feature Writing
Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah, freelance reporter, GQ

For an unforgettable portrait of murderer Dylann Roof, using a unique and powerful mix of reportage, first-person reflection and analysis of the historical and cultural forces behind his killing of nine people inside Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C.

Commentary
John Archibald of Alabama Media Group, Birmingham, Ala.

For lyrical and courageous commentary that is rooted in Alabama but has a national resonance in scrutinizing corrupt politicians, championing the rights of women and calling out hypocrisy.

Criticism
Jerry Saltz of New York magazine

For a robust body of work that conveyed a canny and often daring perspective on visual art in America, encompassing the personal, the political, the pure and the profane.

Editorial Writing
Andie Dominick of The Des Moines Register

For examining in a clear, indignant voice, free of cliché or sentimentality, the damaging consequences for poor Iowa residents of privatizing the state’s administration of Medicaid.

Editorial Cartooning
Jake Halpern, freelance writer, and Michael Sloan, freelance cartoonist, The New York Times

For an emotionally powerful series, told in graphic narrative form, that chronicled the daily struggles of a real-life family of refugees and its fear of deportation.

Breaking News Photography
Ryan Kelly of The Daily Progress, Charlottesville, Va.

For a chilling image that reflected the photographer’s reflexes and concentration in capturing the moment of impact of a car attack during a racially charged protest in Charlottesville, Va.

Feature Photography
Photography Staff of Reuters

For shocking photographs that exposed the world to the violence Rohingya refugees faced in fleeing Myanmar. (Moved by the Board from the Breaking News Photography category, where it was entered.)
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

Re: 2018 Pulitzer Prize Winners

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:57 pm

Bob Juch has been snubbed again. That's too bad. He's tried so hard.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:43 pm

BackInTex wrote:Bob Juch has been snubbed again. That's too bad. He's tried so hard.
I do tons of writing but not for newspapers.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:19 am

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:Bob Juch has been snubbed again. That's too bad. He's tried so hard.
I do tons of writing but not for newspapers.
I've seen some of it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:32 am

Full disclosure:

A manuscript of mine was submitted for Pulitzer consideration. I think it's a shining example of my writing proficiency, but, unfortunately, the Pulitzer folks thought otherwise. Here's a sample:

Spoiler
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:43 am

Vandal wrote:Full disclosure:

A manuscript of mine was submitted for Pulitzer consideration. I think it's a shining example of my writing proficiency, but, unfortunately, the Pulitzer folks thought otherwise. Here's a sample:

Spoiler
Maybe it was just a problem with your typing proficiency. You had an 87.5% error rate...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 am

Estonut wrote:
Vandal wrote:Full disclosure:

Spoiler
Maybe it was just a problem with your typing proficiency. You had an 87.5% error rate...

I blame my editor:

Spoiler
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Pastor Fireball

#8 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:38 pm

As of yesterday, I can say that I own a Pulitzer Prize-winning music album.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)