Neil Gorsuch sides with liberals

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Neil Gorsuch sides with liberals

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:17 pm

USA Today wrote:Neil Gorsuch sides with liberals to tip decision to immigrant in Supreme Court deportation case

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that a law subjecting immigrants to deportation for crimes of violence is unconstitutionally vague, handing the Trump administration an early defeat — thanks to the vote of Justice Neil Gorsuch.

President Trump's nominee to the high court joined most of the ruling by the court's liberal minority that the law failed to define what would qualify as a violent crime. He based his concurrence on a similar decision written in 2015 by his predecessor, Justice Antonin Scalia.

Vague laws, Gorsuch wrote, "can invite the exercise of arbitrary power ... by leaving the people in the dark about what the law demands and allowing prosecutors and courts to make it up. The law before us today is such a law."

The majority opinion, written by Justice Elena Kagan, was a victory for James Garcia Dimaya, whose two burglary convictions were considered violent crimes under the statute — despite not having involved violence. It was a defeat for the Justice Department, which defended the law under the Trump and Obama administrations.
MORE: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 840229001/ Warning, video autoplays.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

Re: Neil Gorsuch sides with liberals

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 pm

I see Mr K posted about this but I'll let this stand because it has more of the story.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.