450,000 have not paid their tolls

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

450,000 have not paid their tolls

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:15 pm

to Mass since Mass ripped the tollbooths out.

These are out of state drivers, of course. The instate scofflaws will just get their plates revoked, or whatever.

Brilliant idea, Gov Baker, whom everybody but me loves, polls say.

Baker has fielded the idea of placing those electronic tolling wands wherever people drive. Cause he can.

But out-of-staters, who would have had to pay at the disappeared booths, just aren't paying.

Bob Juch

Re: 450,000 have not paid their tolls

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:36 pm

ghostjmf wrote:to Mass since Mass ripped the tollbooths out.

These are out of state drivers, of course. The instate scofflaws will just get their plates revoked, or whatever.

Baker has fielded the idea of placing those electronic tolling wands wherever people drive. Cause he can.

But out-of-staters, who would have had to pay at the disappeared booths, just aren't paying.
Are you saying they don't even try to collect? They should at least report to the credit bureaus.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

bazodee

#3 Post by bazodee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Are you saying they don't even try to collect? They should at least report to the credit bureaus.
A bit problematic since you don't know who was actually driving. All you know is who owns the vehicle.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 pm

bazodee wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

A bit problematic since you don't know who was actually driving. All you know is who owns the vehicle.
Some states have made the charge on the vehicle, not the driver.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jaybee

#5 Post by jaybee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 pm

We went through Atlanta just over a week ago - they have a new system of bypass toll roads. We saw them clearly marked that you needed some kind of "Peach" pass (It's Atlanta, gonna have peaches in there somewhere). Anyway, that made sense as we figured it was set up on some kind of scan your sticker thing.

However, on the way back home we were stuck in traffic and noticed that the expressway now had a lighted up section saying that the toll was 50 cents. With a brief discussion both the Mrs and I figured that they had the option of opening it up for a pay system to alleviate traffic when it was really bad. Made sense at the time and the kicker was we had 50 cents right there in the console. So we took the bypass, all while I was holding two quarters in my hand waiting for the toss-it-in type toll booth. For those of you who know Atlanta you'll know that this never happened. We were totally confused when after about 8 miles we merged back into the regular 75 north traffic.

Only after we got home and did some Googling did we learn that it is only a Peach pass system and the toll feature is because the toll fluctuates depending on the level of traffic. That's something we'd never heard of before. We don't have toll roads in Tennessee and it had been a while since we went through Atlanta.

So I can understand that some out of state drivers do not pay. I'm sure that some are just trying to beat the system but for some of us - we just didn't know how the system worked.
Jaybee

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Because the kind, gentle souls at the Mass Registry whose computers were down when I picked up my forced-to-have EZ pass completely messed up my account when their computers were back up, I can tell you they mail the owner of the license plate a picture of your very adorable license plate with "you owe us" & a dollar penalty added.

That's in Mass.

That's also in NH & Maine.

Maybe they don't all add the penalty.

My pass now works, so I no longer get these letters. After we got over the "we won't tell you the password we set up for you when we set up your account for you because its a secret password" hurdle.

I bet the scofflaws get these letters. Local news says Mass can only legally collect on a very few of them.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bazodee

#7 Post by bazodee » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am

jaybee wrote:We went through Atlanta just over a week ago - they have a new system of bypass toll roads. We saw them clearly marked that you needed some kind of "Peach" pass (It's Atlanta, gonna have peaches in there somewhere). Anyway, that made sense as we figured it was set up on some kind of scan your sticker thing.

However, on the way back home we were stuck in traffic and noticed that the expressway now had a lighted up section saying that the toll was 50 cents. With a brief discussion both the Mrs and I figured that they had the option of opening it up for a pay system to alleviate traffic when it was really bad. Made sense at the time and the kicker was we had 50 cents right there in the console. So we took the bypass, all while I was holding two quarters in my hand waiting for the toss-it-in type toll booth. For those of you who know Atlanta you'll know that this never happened. We were totally confused when after about 8 miles we merged back into the regular 75 north traffic.

Only after we got home and did some Googling did we learn that it is only a Peach pass system and the toll feature is because the toll fluctuates depending on the level of traffic. That's something we'd never heard of before. We don't have toll roads in Tennessee and it had been a while since we went through Atlanta.

So I can understand that some out of state drivers do not pay. I'm sure that some are just trying to beat the system but for some of us - we just didn't
know how the system worked.
At the moment, there are only two sections of interstate in Georgia that have a Peach Pass lane. Sounds like you were south of Atlanta on I-75. That lane in the center is reversible and the price fluctuates, though both times I've used it were 50 cents. You have a bar code sticker stuck to your windshield- that's what is being read. North Carolina and Florida passes are also valid in Georgia.

There is a new section of toll road scheduled to open around Labor Day. It's on I-75 north of Atlanta, possibly the most congested roadway in the South. Those tollways are built on the side of the interstate and not reversible, but will also have variable pricing.

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 am

bazodee wrote:
jaybee wrote:We went through Atlanta just over a week ago - they have a new system of bypass toll roads. We saw them clearly marked that you needed some kind of "Peach" pass (It's Atlanta, gonna have peaches in there somewhere). Anyway, that made sense as we figured it was set up on some kind of scan your sticker thing.

So I can understand that some out of state drivers do not pay. I'm sure that some are just trying to beat the system but for some of us - we just didn't
know how the system worked.
At the moment, there are only two sections of interstate in Georgia that have a Peach Pass lane. Sounds like you were south of Atlanta on I-75. That lane in the center is reversible and the price fluctuates, though both times I've used it were 50 cents. You have a bar code sticker stuck to your windshield- that's what is being read. North Carolina and Florida passes are also valid in Georgia.

There is a new section of toll road scheduled to open around Labor Day. It's on I-75 north of Atlanta, possibly the most congested roadway in the South. Those tollways are built on the side of the interstate and not reversible, but will also have variable pricing.
Gawd, I wish I'd known that a month or so ago. We bought a Florida toll pass, because it would save us time and hassle on the trip to Port Canaveral, which it did, but man, was the trip through Atlanta and surroundings tortuous. Must have missed some fine print somewhere. We saw those bypass toll roads and wondered if for some reason our Fla passes would work, but we could never find evidence, and didn't want to risk penalties.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman