You Better Be Ready Earlier for Some Football

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

You Better Be Ready Earlier for Some Football

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:01 am

The NFL moves up the starting times for its Monday, Thursday, and Sunday night games.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rce=Direct
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mrkelley23

Re: You Better Be Ready Earlier for Some Football

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The NFL moves up the starting times for its Monday, Thursday, and Sunday night games.

....As opposed to actually speeding up the games. When will the wailing and gnashing of teeth about pace of play start in the NFL, now that it's hemorrhaging ratings?

Average time for an MLB game, 2017: 3 hours, 5 minutes.

Average time for an NFL game, 2017: 3 hours, 12 minutes.

Eliminating kickoffs will help, I guess.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:The NFL moves up the starting times for its Monday, Thursday, and Sunday night games.

....As opposed to actually speeding up the games. When will the wailing and gnashing of teeth about pace of play start in the NFL, now that it's hemorrhaging ratings?

Eliminating kickoffs? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 am

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
The NFL has been considering eliminating kickoffs because of the injury factor and instead just starting the receiving team out at the 25. There would be a provision for a team to attempt an "onside kick" by some means like one play from the old kickoff line to gain 10 or 15 yards.

I don't like the idea because it penalizes teams that either have very good kickoff returners or excellent coverage teams and it also eliminates the possibility of the "surprise" onside kick.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:32 am

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

In addition to SSS's information, there is a new rule in effect for this year that seems to me a clear indication that the NFL wants to move in the direction of no kickoffs.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

In addition to SSS's information, there is a new rule in effect for this year that seems to me a clear indication that the NFL wants to move in the direction of no kickoffs.
Are you talking about the new fair catch rule? As I read it, that rule has only been added to the NCAA, not the NFL. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:05 am

All levels of football have struggled with how to deal with this inherently dangerous play. In 2011, the NFL moved the spot of the kickoff forward from the 30-yard line to the 35, drastically increasing the number of kickoffs that cross into the end zone for touchbacks. The NCAA did the same thing in 2012, while also changing the spot of the ball on touchbacks from the 20-yard line to the 25. The NFL moved the touchback spot on kickoffs to the 25 in 2016.

The NCAA announced earlier this month that it was tweaking the kickoff further. A player on the receiving team can call for a fair catch between the goal line and the 25-yard line and the ball will be placed at the 25. That change was intended to combat the recent trend of high-arcing kicks designed to pin teams deep.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:08 am

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Eliminating kickoffs? --Bob
Are you talking about the new fair catch rule? As I read it, that rule has only been added to the NCAA, not the NFL. --Bob
Sorry, that's true. Although it would not be odd to see the NFL add it, also. The NFL and NCAA have been trading off tweaks to the kickoff rule for some time.