Waffle House Shooter's Father Returned Guns to Him

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Waffle House Shooter's Father Returned Guns to Him

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:55 am

There is something very very very very wrong here. In 2017, Travis Reinking, the alleged Waffle House shooter, was arrested in Washington DC on trespassing charges for entering the White House grounds. As a followup to the arrest Illinois sheriff's officials confiscated the gun used in the Waffle House shooting and three other guns owned by Reinking and revoked his Illinois gun permit. Yet somehow, they returned the guns to Reinking's father who apparently gave the murder weapon back to Reinking (who is still on the loose and may have one or more of the other weapons).

What's ironic is that if Reinking had been driving a car, he might have had the car confiscated and depending on the nature of the charges filed against him, he or any of his relatives might have had to jump through considerable legal hoops to get the car back. But returning guns to the father of someone who is already on the law enforcement radar is a different story.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 541581002/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

Re: Waffle House Shooter's Father Returned Guns to Him

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 am

SSS wrote: Reinking's father who apparently gave the murder weapon back to Reinking

Did you read the entire article you linked to?
How he managed to reacquire weapons after Illinois law enforcement determined he was not legally allowed to possess any is being investigated.
Perhaps the son stole the guns without the father's knowledge. Perhaps the father is now dead because the son killed him to get to the guns. It is "being investigated" because it is not known.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 am

BackInTex wrote:
SSS wrote: Reinking's father who apparently gave the murder weapon back to Reinking

Did you read the entire article you linked to?
How he managed to reacquire weapons after Illinois law enforcement determined he was not legally allowed to possess any is being investigated.
Perhaps the son stole the guns without the father's knowledge. Perhaps the father is now dead because the son killed him to get to the guns. It is "being investigated" because it is not known.
Other articles have been more specific, such as this one from CNN:
In August, the Tazewell County Sheriff's Office seized four firearms and ammunition from Reinking's apartment along with his state firearm owners identification, according to an incident report. Officers gave the firearms and ammo to Reinking's father, who said he would keep them away from his son, the report states. "The officers did not believe they had any legal authority to withhold the weapons," said Tazewell County Sheriff Robert Huston on Sunday. "We need to be on solid legal ground in order to seize someone's property."

Investigators now believe that Jeffrey Reinking returned the guns to his son. Of those four weapons, one was the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle recovered from the shooting scene at the Waffle House. Another firearm was recovered Sunday from Reinking's one-bedroom apartment. The two other guns could still be in Reinking's possession, police said. Authorities are warning the public to keep their doors locked and eyes open while he is on the loose.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/us/travi ... index.html

I had read in a couple of places that the father returned the guns to the son (I did say "apparently"). When I looked for a citation, I grabbed the URL of the most recent article I could find talking about it.

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 am

Don't we already know those guns would have shot somebody no matter who had them?

Seriously, this guy apparently had something seriously wrong with him. Why is the focus automatically on the guns? He could have snapped with a kitchen knife, or a bomb or a car. When are we going to focus on the person rather than the gun? Why are some people committing random mass murders at a seemingly increasing rate, regardless of the weapon used? What is causing it, and how can we stop it?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Don't we already know those guns would have shot somebody no matter who had them?

Seriously, this guy apparently had something seriously wrong with him. Why is the focus automatically on the guns? He could have snapped with a kitchen knife, or a bomb or a car. When are we going to focus on the person rather than the gun? Why are some people committing random mass murders at a seemingly increasing rate, regardless of the weapon used? What is causing it, and how can we stop it?
Because he wouldn't have been able to stab four police officers through a plate glass window in a matter of seconds with a kitchen knife. Easily acquired guns make sick people a lot deadlier than they need to be. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:04 am

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Don't we already know those guns would have shot somebody no matter who had them?

Because he wouldn't have been able to stab four police officers through a plate glass window in a matter of seconds with a kitchen knife. Easily acquired guns make sick people a lot deadlier than they need to be. --Bob
That's your counter argument, bob-tel? How many people he COULD have killed? He could have killed many more with a car driving down a crowded Nashville sidewalk. That's not the point. The point is why he felt he needed to commit a mass murder in the first place. He chose to use guns. If he didn't have a gun available, would he have used something else? I don't know, and neither do you. Why did he choose guns for his compulsion? Could it be because of the way they are portrayed in video games, movies, TV? Normal people can handle that. They know the difference between fiction and reality. But is there some sort of mental illness that blurs the lines between video game violence and real life? I don't know the answer to these questions, but I really think our answers to this falls in this area rather than obsessing on guns.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 am

I am betting Waffle House, which serves awful food, as does its closest competitor Huddle House, is not happy for the free advertising about "Waffle House shooter".

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:27 am

And to another topic, no, people don't know that that what they see in fictional shows isn't real. I know a heartbreaking example.

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:31 am

ghostjmf wrote:And to another topic, no, people don't know that that what they see in fictional shows isn't real. I know a heartbreaking example.
No, that's not accurate. SOME people don't know that what they see in fictional shows isn't real. What can we do about it without 'punishing' the people who know the difference?

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:05 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I am betting Waffle House, which serves awful food, as does its closest competitor Huddle House, is not happy for the free advertising about "Waffle House shooter".
Waffle House serves GREAT food when you're in the mood for Waffle House food. No need to be snobby.

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:09 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:I am betting Waffle House, which serves awful food, as does its closest competitor Huddle House, is not happy for the free advertising about "Waffle House shooter".
Waffle House serves GREAT food when you're in the mood for Waffle House food. No need to be snobby.
This is scary. Flock and I are agreeing on something.

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:51 pm

They have awful decaf coffee. I don't eat grits. Anything else I've had there was really bad (I was with friends who insist its the only thing open late in their town, & they would know.)

I am not a food snob. I like good "regular" i.e. Americana food as well as Szechuan, Thai etc.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm

ghostjmf wrote:They have awful decaf coffee. I don't eat grits. Anything else I've there was really bad (I was with friends who insist its the only thing open late in their town, & they would know.)

I am not a food snob. I like good "regular" i.e. Americana food as well as Szechuan, Thai etc.
Well, I guess you are right then. I better not eat there anymore.

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm

And even the salads at Arby's are stale. But you, & my brother, may continue eating there if you really wanna.

flockofseagulls104

#15 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:21 pm

ghostjmf wrote:And even the salads at Arby's are stale. But you, & my brother, may continue eating there if you really wanna.
Thank you. I wish they'd get some here in Washington State.

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:21 pm

ghostjmf wrote:They have awful decaf coffee.
There is no other kind.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:And even the salads at Arby's are stale. But you, & my brother, may continue eating there if you really wanna.
Thank you. I wish they'd get some here in Washington State.
There are four in Tucson and eleven in Phoenix. I've never eaten at one in Arizona.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:48 pm

That's what you get for buying a salad at Arby's. They have the meats!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#19 Post by Estonut » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:56 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I am betting Waffle House, which serves awful food, ...
A few people must disagree with you, since their annual sales are estimated to be $750M to $1B. There are so many people represented by those numbers that they must include repeat customers.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

tlynn78

#20 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:54 am

Estonut wrote:
A few people must disagree with you, since their annual sales are estimated to be $750M to $1B. There are so many people represented by those numbers that they must include repeat customers.
I lived in ATL for several years and somehow managed to never eat at Waffle House. I was an IHOP girl, all the way.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:02 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
I lived in ATL for several years and somehow managed to never eat at Waffle House. I was an IHOP girl, all the way.
Damn Yankee! :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#22 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Estonut wrote:A few people must disagree with you, since their annual sales are estimated to be $750M to $1B. There are so many people represented by those numbers that they must include repeat customers.
Damn Yankee! :P
I prefer "citizen of the world" :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:25 am

Estonut wrote:
When the winter storms diverted me into an overnight stay at Atlanta last month, I had brunch at a Waffle House. I think it was my first experience there. The food tasted fine, but the menu seemed pretty heavy on greasy foods that I haven't been able to handle particularly well since I had my gall bladder out a few years ago. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#24 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Waffle House grease is the best.

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
When the winter storms diverted me into an overnight stay at Atlanta last month, I had brunch at a Waffle House. I think it was my first experience there. The food tasted fine, but the menu seemed pretty heavy on greasy foods that I haven't been able to handle particularly well since I had my gall bladder out a few years ago. --Bob
I produce too much bile since my cholecystectomy so greasy food doesn't bother me. Whatever the Waffle House uses on their hash browns is delicious.