4DRStormYT is my nephew!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
christie1111
11:11

4DRStormYT is my nephew!

#1 Post by christie1111 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:59 am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 5e16775850

And is only 14 years old. He is in the photo. And of course in a lot of other links on the web. Apparently a pretty big deal!

Okay, bragging about something that gives me no credit…..

For my nephew, (Brother1111's son in the Portland Oregon area), when asked what he wanted for his birthday, he said he wanted to play in a video game tournament in Las Vegas. My sister goes to Vegas all the time so to the family this does not sound as extravagant as it may seem to others. Entry fee was $75 so not a big deal. Sister1111 was just mad because she couldn’t meet them there as she could have gotten them a free room and food, etc.

He won! $2,500 and has all kinds of publicity. https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 7e57e15850 Just one of many.

This was not a tournament for an age group. It was open to all.

He plays on a regular laptop. But when asked what he wanted to do with the money he said maybe buy a better computer. By the way, they limit his computer time at home. And he is an excellent student and does martial arts.

On a side note, Brother1111 was sitting behind him before the game started. Someone came by and was struggling with something (can’t remember what Brother1111 said but something about him tangled up with his feet) so my brother got up and helped him, let’s say untangle something and the man offered to get him a better seat but Brother1111 said that his son was playing soon and he wanted to be near him. ‘Then can I get you a beer?’. Brother1111 only occasionally drinks so he declined. Turns out the guy was the Chief Marketing Officer of the gaming company! After Nephew1111 won, the CMO came back to talk to Brother1111. When Nephew1111 said he wanted to spend the money on a better computer the CMO said he had a few connections (Haha!) and that they would be in touch.

Fun story for a great kid!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: 4DRStormYT is my nephew!

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Cool!
Well, then

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:04 pm

Very cool! Proud auntie moments are awesome!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Love this!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:47 pm

That's really cool.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Way cool! Congratulations to him! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 pm

This old video game player still doesn't understand how these games turned into big money competitions, but that's pretty awesome!

And, yeah, he deserves to get some higher-end equipment with that prize money.

First to the keys! 8)

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:17 pm

christie1111 wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 5e16775850

And is only 14 years old. He is in the photo. And of course in a lot of other links on the web. Apparently a pretty big deal!

Okay, bragging about something that gives me no credit…..

For my nephew, (Brother1111's son in the Portland Oregon area), when asked what he wanted for his birthday, he said he wanted to play in a video game tournament in Las Vegas. My sister goes to Vegas all the time so to the family this does not sound as extravagant as it may seem to others. Entry fee was $75 so not a big deal. Sister1111 was just mad because she couldn’t meet them there as she could have gotten them a free room and food, etc.

He won! $2,500 and has all kinds of publicity. https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 7e57e15850 Just one of many.

This was not a tournament for an age group. It was open to all.

He plays on a regular laptop. But when asked what he wanted to do with the money he said maybe buy a better computer. By the way, they limit his computer time at home. And he is an excellent student and does martial arts.

On a side note, Brother1111 was sitting behind him before the game started. Someone came by and was struggling with something (can’t remember what Brother1111 said but something about him tangled up with his feet) so my brother got up and helped him, let’s say untangle something and the man offered to get him a better seat but Brother1111 said that his son was playing soon and he wanted to be near him. ‘Then can I get you a beer?’. Brother1111 only occasionally drinks so he declined. Turns out the guy was the Chief Marketing Officer of the gaming company! After Nephew1111 won, the CMO came back to talk to Brother1111. When Nephew1111 said he wanted to spend the money on a better computer the CMO said he had a few connections (Haha!) and that they would be in touch.

Fun story for a great kid!
If he wants a gaming laptop, tell him to get an Acer Predator with an SSD. If he wants a desktop, tell him to go to someone local who builds gaming desktop systems. None of the retail builds are the best.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.