We've hired a summer associate

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

We've hired a summer associate

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Over the years I've been in touch with a friend via Facebook and followed from afar the career of her older daughter as she went to college and then UCLA Law School, just a couple of miles from my office. Based on my friend's posts, her daughter seemed to have accomplished quite a bit. And that was certainly consistent with my own observations, though I hadn't seen or communicated with the daughter since she was in high school.

So I reached out to my friend for her daughter's contact information in order to invite her to interview here. We actually weren't planning to hire any summer associates this year, but circumstances do change. We're always interested in strong talent whenever and wherever we can find it, and I suspected she'd fit that description.

She came through last week for her interviews. My partners were fully prepared to be unimpressed, thinking that I'd arranged the interview as a favor for a friend. That's not what actually happened though. Instead, the daughter was so compelling at her interviews that the firm's management committee decided to create a summer associate position for her to fill. She has accepted our offer and is scheduled to start here in a little more than a month.

Why do I think this story would be of particular (or any) interest to the Bored?
Spoiler
Because the friend I'm referring to is PSM, and the daughter we hired is sometimes known here as PlacentiaSoccerKid1
. She's really quite impressive and we foresee a long and successful career ahead of her. We're hoping that career will be here as our colleague. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

Re: We've hired a summer associate

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Well Congrats all around!

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Over the years I've been in touch with a friend via Facebook and followed from afar the career of her older daughter as she went to college and then UCLA Law School, just a couple of miles from my office. Based on my friend's posts, her daughter seemed to have accomplished quite a bit. And that was certainly consistent with my own observations, though I hadn't seen or communicated with the daughter since she was in high school.

So I reached out to my friend for her daughter's contact information in order to invite her to interview here. We actually weren't planning to hire any summer associates this year, but circumstances do change. We're always interested in strong talent whenever and wherever we can find it, and I suspected she'd fit that description.

She came through last week for her interviews. My partners were fully prepared to be unimpressed, thinking that I'd arranged the interview as a favor for a friend. That's not what actually happened though. Instead, the daughter was so compelling at her interviews that the firm's management committee decided to create a summer associate position for her to fill. She has accepted our offer and is scheduled to start here in a little more than a month.

Why do I think this story would be of particular (or any) interest to the Bored?
Spoiler
Because the friend I'm referring to is PSM, and the daughter we hired is sometimes known here as PlacentiaSoccerKid1
. She's really quite impressive and we foresee a long and successful career ahead of her. We're hoping that career will be here as our colleague. --Bob
Congrats to her, and to your firm. Based on what little I know of her, I think your firm got the better end of the deal.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:01 pm

WTG Maddie! I still remember her banter with Bob Saget on 1 vs. 100.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:11 pm

Assume you had permission to share this info, as great as it is?
Well, then

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:26 pm

WTG Maddie! I've been impressed with her since she competed regularly on WWTBAM Play-It!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Assume you had permission to share this info, as great as it is?
My firm doesn't hold as secret the identity of our professional staff. We brag about them. And for good reason. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
My firm doesn't hold as secret the identity of our professional staff. We brag about them. And for good reason. --Bob
That would be a "no" then. Just say so.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Outstanding!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:39 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
That would accept the premise that I need permission for some reason. --Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:53 am

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:My firm doesn't hold as secret the identity of our professional staff. We brag about them. And for good reason.
That would accept the premise that I need permission for some reason.
A prolific former poster decides, for whatever reason, that she no longer wanted to post here nor share the stories about her daughters and hubby that she often did, and you think it's ok for you to take over that role for her?

Anyone but you and Nelly would clearly understand that it's common courtesy to speak to the parent prior to posting anything about their child on the internet.

Please provide links for instances where your firm has bragged about their professional staff.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

themanintheseersuckersuit

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:42 am

you may have hired your future boss
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:you may have hired your future boss
Rec!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:That would be a "no" then. Just say so.
That would accept the premise that I need permission for some reason.
A prolific former poster decides, for whatever reason, that she no longer wanted to post here nor share the stories about her daughters and hubby that she often did, and you think it's ok for you to take over that role for her?

Anyone but you and Nelly would clearly understand that it's common courtesy to speak to the parent prior to posting anything about their child on the internet.

Please provide links for instances where your firm has bragged about their professional staff.
The "child" in this case is a full-grown adult. We frequently send e-mail blasts announcing our hires. It's a common thing for law firms to do. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:18 pm

I'll make a more general statement. If you're an adult who interviews with my firm for a professional job and your interview goes so well that we add a position specifically so that we can hire you, and if you accept that position, you can expect that my colleagues and I will give you public kudos for the remarkable potential we see in you. We will also give appropriate publicity to your future accomplishments as you advance in our profession. Consider yourself warned. --Bob