Trump pulls US out of the Iran nuclear deal

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Trump pulls US out of the Iran nuclear deal

#26 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:32 pm

BackInTex wrote:SSS seems to question how this will make us safer. But he failed to ask that of Obama's deal.

Anyone who thinks Iran is a "nice guy" is a fool. Anyone who thinks that giving Iran $billions of cash did not put us and the rest of the world in more danger is a fool.

The "deal" was signed in July of 2015.
The US Government 2016 report on state sponsors of terrorism
Designated as a State Sponsor of Terrorism in 1984, Iran continued its terrorist-related activity in 2016
There is a lot of specific examples, not from Fox, but in this report from our own US Department of State. One can click the link to read them, or not. I don't need to quote them all.

Anyone who thinks that much of the money Iran used to sponsor terrorism in 2016 and 2017 did not come from the $billions Obama sent them is a fool.

Someone said at the time (either SSS or Bob#s) that the money was Iran's and the World Court said so. The gun used by Nikolas Cruz was his, until the government decided him having it was unsafe. He got it back because his father thought "this is his".
If I recall correctly, I said deal or no deal, in the wake of that ruling Iran was going to get the money back one way or another. But whatever the respective merits or our positions on that issue, it's a sunk cost. Breaking the deal won't get the money back. So how are we better off breaking the deal? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#27 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
I am not a serious person, Bob. My posts here are not based on fact, but my own opinions, and just drip hatred of all liberals, which overrides everything else.
Fixed it for you
Fuckwit
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#28 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
I am not a serious person, Bob. My posts here are not based on fact, but my own opinions, and just drip hatred of all liberals, which overrides everything else.
Fixed it for you
Fuckwit
I'm trying to have a serious conversation, in which I believe I've shown respect for genuine attempts to engage me, and flock responds with an ad hominem attack. I have a fair amount of sympathy here for SSS. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#29 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Fixed it for you
Fuckwit
I'm trying to have a serious conversation, in which I believe I've shown respect for genuine attempts to engage me, and flock responds with an ad hominem attack. I have a fair amount of sympathy here for SSS. --Bob
No. You're wrong.

He could respond to it seriously, but chose not to. Which is fine. Open to fuckwittiness.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#30 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Fuckwit
No. You're wrong.

He could respond to it seriously, but chose not to. Which is fine. Open to fuckwittiness.
What am I wrong about? Have I failed to show respect for genuine attempts to engage me? Or was flock's response to me (my questions aren't worth answering because I'm the one posing them) not an ad hominem attack? Those are the only two factual assertions I believe I made. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#31 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'm trying to have a serious conversation, in which I believe I've shown respect for genuine attempts to engage me, and flock responds with an ad hominem attack. I have a fair amount of sympathy here for SSS. --Bob
No. You're wrong.

What am I wrong about? Have I failed to show respect for genuine attempts to engage me? Or was flock's response to me (my questions aren't worth answering because I'm the one posing them) not an ad hominem attack? Those are the only two factual assertions I believe I made. --Bob
OK, sorry to interrupt your honest attempt to be relatively open minded, bob-tel. I apologize. I acknowledge it's a small step in the right direction for you. You could be taken more seriously if you didn't make comments like these:
By the way, I don't believe for a second that Donny gave these considerations a moment's thought.
Because I know that Donny is a liar
But you have that right. As I have to be the right to be offended at your lack of respect towards the President, as you would have had against anyone who called Obama 'Hussein".

That being said, My first post was expressing the same sentiment. I am not sure if this is good or bad. Which was immediately followed by AH:
...the usual crowd of enablers like Flock and Hannity,...
who obviously hadn't even bothered to read my post, where I kinda agreed with him.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 08, 2018 9:45 pm

That being said, My first post was expressing the same sentiment. I am not sure if this is good or bad. Which was immediately followed by AH:
who obviously hadn't even bothered to read my post, where I kinda agreed with him.
It's hard to keep reading your posts when they usually contain little more than name calling, evasions, and unfunny attempts at alleged sarcasm.

But on the off chance you do actually respond to points that Bob or I make, I will try harder in the future to follow them through.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#33 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 09, 2018 7:25 am

Trump's Iran decision wins plaudits from Israel and Saudi Arabia, blistering criticism from Europe

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-iran ... story.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#34 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:17 am

It's hard to keep reading your posts when they usually contain little more than name calling, evasions, and unfunny attempts at alleged sarcasm.

But on the off chance you do actually respond to points that Bob or I make, I will try harder in the future to follow them through.
You accused me of being a racist multiple times. You have insulted me and my family personally and you refuse to apologize for it. You have no grounds for pointing fingers at anyone, AH.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#35 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 09, 2018 10:32 am

silverscreenselect wrote: It's hard to keep reading your posts when they usually contain little more than name calling, evasions, and unfunny attempts at alleged sarcasm.

You accused me of being a racist multiple times. You have insulted me and my family personally and you refuse to apologize for it. You have no grounds for pointing fingers at anyone, AH.
I tried as hard as I could, but all I found in this post was name calling and evasion. I will keep trying in the future though.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#36 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:42 am

I am still wondering if anyone can articulate why pulling out of the deal was good for the United States. Not as interesting to the general public as name-calling, perhaps, but it's still something I'd like to hear, if anyone can do so. --Bob

BackInTex

#37 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 09, 2018 4:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I am still wondering if anyone can articulate why pulling out of the deal was good for the United States. Not as interesting to the general public as name-calling, perhaps, but it's still something I'd like to hear, if anyone can do so. --Bob
Not in terms you'd accept or understand. But maybe you can call your stock broker. He might give you some insight. The markets seem to at least not see this as a negative.

USD up over the EUR
Nasdaq up
S&P up
Dow up
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#38 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:41 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I am still wondering if anyone can articulate why pulling out of the deal was good for the United States. Not as interesting to the general public as name-calling, perhaps, but it's still something I'd like to hear, if anyone can do so. --Bob
Not in terms you'd accept or understand. But maybe you can call your stock broker. He might give you some insight. The markets seem to at least not see this as a negative.

USD up over the EUR
Nasdaq up
S&P up
Dow up
Really? That's the best you've got? The markets are up on one day. The longer I hear the sound of crickets, the more I become convinced that the only thing "bad" about the agreement is that President Obama is the one who signed it.

It seems to me this has become endemic about Republican policy prescriptions. I certainly saw it during the health care debate. Republicans say that what's in place is bad, bad, bad, but when you dig into the details they are curiously unable to support their positions with reasoned analysis, and when their policies are actually put into place, people (except for their donors) are worse off.

As another example, for the life of me I can't understand why it's good for the country that I am paying more taxes, and the country is carrying a huge deficit, all so that the rich can pay less taxes. Sound public policy would seem to me to work the other way. --Bob

Bob Juch

#39 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 09, 2018 4:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:

USD up over the EUR
Nasdaq up
S&P up
Dow up
Price of oil up.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#40 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

USD up over the EUR
Nasdaq up
S&P up
Dow up
Price of oil up.
Piling on is not going to help Bob get through this.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#41 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Bob78164 wrote: As another example, for the life of me I can't understand why it's good for the country that I am paying more taxes,
You are now paying your fair share of Federal taxes. That is good for the country. The rest of us can't help it if you've voted to pay high state taxes.

Are you paying more Federal taxes than me (assuming equal incomes)? No, you are now paying essentially the same. And I'm now paying less.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#42 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote: As another example, for the life of me I can't understand why it's good for the country that I am paying more taxes,
You are now paying your fair share of Federal taxes. That is good for the country. The rest of us can't help it if you've voted to pay high state taxes.

Are you paying more Federal taxes than me (assuming equal incomes)? No, you are now paying essentially the same. And I'm now paying less.
I'm paying more taxes to fund tax cuts for the rich. Fortunately, I think that's a message that the American people understand. You may have noticed that Republican politicians have stopped trying to run on this "accomplishment."

State taxes are a necessary expense of generating income. This is the first time since the institution of the federal income tax that state income taxes have not been deductible. This was clearly a giant fuck you to the people of California and New York, and I think there's a pretty good chance that seven Republican Congressman from California will pay for that decision with their jobs. Two of them have already done so, declining to run for re-election because they know they'd lose.

And it's not just state income taxes, by the way. The mortgage interest deduction is now capped, which will hurt homebuyers in expensive markets.

There are a lot of additional more subtle ways in which the middle class will pay more taxes in order to fund tax deductions for the rich. For example, alimony will no longer be deductible for anyone whose divorce is final after 2018. It won't be taxable to the recipient, but the effect will be to shift the tax burden from the person paying a lower rate to the person paying a higher rate. The net is that there will be less after-tax income to divide between the divorcing couple.

There was no reason at all to lower taxes for the rich at the expense of a trillion-dollar hole in the deficit. I might have been okay with the sacrifices I've been required to make if the goal had been to reduce the deficit, or for some other policy goal I'm okay with. But this tax bill reached into my pocket to fund a huge tax break for the rich, particularly those who make their money in real estate. If I didn't know better, I'd think the bill were designed to benefit Donny and his family personally. --Bob

BackInTex

#43 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I'm paying more taxes to fund tax cuts for the rich. Fortunately, I think that's a message that the American people understand. You may have noticed that Republican politicians have stopped trying to run on this "accomplishment."

State taxes are a necessary expense of generating income. This is the first time since the institution of the federal income tax that state income taxes have not been deductible. This was clearly a giant fuck you to the people of California and New York, and I think there's a pretty good chance that seven Republican Congressman from California will pay for that decision with their jobs. Two of them have already done so, declining to run for re-election because they know they'd lose.

And it's not just state income taxes, by the way. The mortgage interest deduction is now capped, which will hurt homebuyers in expensive markets.

There are a lot of additional more subtle ways in which the middle class will pay more taxes in order to fund tax deductions for the rich. For example, alimony will no longer be deductible for anyone whose divorce is final after 2018. It won't be taxable to the recipient, but the effect will be to shift the tax burden from the person paying a lower rate to the person paying a higher rate. The net is that there will be less after-tax income to divide between the divorcing couple.

There was no reason at all to lower taxes for the rich at the expense of a trillion-dollar hole in the deficit. I might have been okay with the sacrifices I've been required to make if the goal had been to reduce the deficit, or for some other policy goal I'm okay with. But this tax bill reached into my pocket to fund a huge tax break for the rich, particularly those who make their money in real estate. If I didn't know better, I'd think the bill were designed to benefit Donny and his family personally. --Bob
I'm rich, I'm rich! Bob said so!

You're so full of Kool-Aid your eyes are yellow. Wait, they are more brownish. I don't recall a brown Kool-Aid. Must be full of something else.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#44 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

You're so full of Kool-Aid your eyes are yellow. Wait, they are more brownish. I don't recall a brown Kool-Aid. Must be full of something else.
Are you denying that this tax bill is an enormous benefit to the rich? Are you denying that it's blown an enormous hole in the deficit? Or would you rather avoid a factual analysis of the bill and stick to calling me names? --Bob

BackInTex

#45 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 09, 2018 8:02 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'm paying more taxes to fund tax cuts for the rich. Fortunately, I think that's a message that the American people understand. You may have noticed that Republican politicians have stopped trying to run on this "accomplishment."

Are you denying that this tax bill is an enormous benefit to the rich? Are you denying that it's blown an enormous hole in the deficit? Or would you rather avoid a factual analysis of the bill and stick to calling me names? --Bob
It is a benefit to all who have been paying their share of Federal taxes. The more Federal taxes you were paying, the more the benefit. Makes sense. Is it perfect? No. But it is an improvement. There is nothing wrong with those who've been paying more, benefiting more (whole
$-wise). They will still be paying more than everyone else. Someone who paid no taxes got no benefit. You will include them in your watered down analysis that the lower and middle class didn't benefit or benefit as much. But in reality those that pay no taxes got a 1,000,000% tax cut. They got the biggest benefit. Those that paid little got a 100% tax cut. Now they pay none.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#46 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 09, 2018 8:06 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

It is a benefit to all who have been paying their share of Federal taxes. The more Federal taxes you were paying, the more the benefit. Makes sense. Is it perfect? No. But it is an improvement. There is nothing wrong with those who've been paying more, benefiting more (whole
$-wise). They will still be paying more than everyone else. Someone who paid no taxes got no benefit. You will include them in your watered down analysis that the lower and middle class didn't benefit or benefit as much. But in reality those that pay no taxes got a 1,000,000% tax cut. They got the biggest benefit. Those that paid little got a 100% tax cut. Now they pay none.
Starting Monday my income will be taxed at just 21%. I still hate the new tax bill.

BackInTex

#47 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Are you denying that this tax bill is an enormous benefit to the rich? Are you denying that it's blown an enormous hole in the deficit? Or would you rather avoid a factual analysis of the bill and stick to calling me names? --Bob
Starting Monday my income will be taxed at just 21%. I still hate the new tax bill.
You can pay more. You are not required to take all the deductions available to you.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#48 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:18 pm

I am still wondering if anyone can articulate why pulling out of the deal was good for the United States.
Trump has been saying from day one of his campaign that he would do this, and that the deal was the worst he'd ever seen. This is no surprise. There are so many things reported about this deal that it is hard to know what is true and what is not about it. (Unless you're bob-tel or AH, in which case you cherry pick the news you like and have it support your pre-decided opinion.) But the fact is that Iran is still sponsoring terrorism, still threatens Israel, the US, and its immediate neighbors. From what I understand from most news sources, this agreement has an expiration date, at which time Iran can go ahead and do what it wants. For those reasons alone, it might make sense to reimpose heavy sanctions on them. As far as I can tell, we (the US) got the shaft in this deal. What? Iran will hate us for reneging on the deal? I think they (at least the government) already does. Not much to worry about there.

Another reason is that it will send a message to Kim Jung Un that he better not be counting on hoodwinking us, like NK did to other previous administrations. I think it shows we won't be fooled again.

And bob-tel: don't lecture anybody on name calling until you start calling him trump, or Mr. trump, or president trump.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#49 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 am

I am still wondering if anyone can articulate why pulling out of the deal was good for the United States.
Trump has been saying from day one of his campaign that he would do this, and that the deal was the worst he'd ever seen. This is no surprise. There are so many things reported about this deal that it is hard to know what is true and what is not about it. (Unless you're bob-tel or AH, in which case you cherry pick the news you like and have it support your pre-decided opinion.) But the fact is that Iran is still sponsoring terrorism, still threatens Israel, the US, and its immediate neighbors. From what I understand from most news sources, this agreement has an expiration date, at which time Iran can go ahead and do what it wants. For those reasons alone, it might make sense to reimpose heavy sanctions on them. As far as I can tell, we (the US) got the shaft in this deal. What? Iran will hate us for reneging on the deal? I think they (at least the government) already does. Not much to worry about there.

Another reason is that it will send a message to Kim Jung Un that he better not be counting on hoodwinking us, like NK did to other previous administrations. I think it shows we won't be fooled again.

And bob-tel: don't lecture anybody on name calling until you start calling him trump, or Mr. trump, or president trump.
Where I grew up, people who think grabbing women by the genitals is something to brag about are entitled to contempt, not respect. And that doesn't change just because they happen to work in the Oval Office. Donny is never getting a show of respect from me.

I'm pointing out that BiT has been resorting to name-calling instead of attempting reasoned analysis. When someone does that in response to respectful reasoned analysis (which is what I've been doing in this thread), it usually means that they can't support their position with reasoned analysis. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#50 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:09 am

BackInTex wrote:It is a benefit to all who have been paying their share of Federal taxes. The more Federal taxes you were paying, the more the benefit. Makes sense. Is it perfect? No. But it is an improvement. There is nothing wrong with those who've been paying more, benefiting more (whole
It's certainly not a benefit to everyone who has been paying their share of federal taxes. My taxes are going to go up. And they're going up, not to fund a middle-class tax cut (which, by the way, is scheduled to expire in a few years), but to fund a huge tax cut for the truly wealth and a business tax cut (neither of which are scheduled to expire).

The promise was that businesses would use that money to pay higher salaries. As most economists predicted in advance, that promise proved to be complete bullshit. Businesses are instead using the money to increase their share prices (usually via buy-backs), which does no good at all for those who haven't been making enough money to get into the stock market.

And this hole has been blown in the budget at a time of relatively low unemployment, which is exactly when you don't want to do that. And the trillion-dollar hole in the budget would do a hell of a lot more good spent on things like repairing our deteriorating infrastructure (and hardening our voting infrastructure against further Russian attacks).

This was a giveaway to Donny and his rich buddies, particularly those in the real estate business. The American people know it -- that's why Republicans have pretty much stopped running campaign ads touting the one bill they managed to pass. And I certainly know it. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- in many, many ways, Donny and his Congressional enablers have turned me into an activist. The tax bill isn't even the worst of them. But it's pretty bad, and it's one that's going to make a big difference in a lot of California Congressional districts. --Bob