WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 pm 

Dylan Bundy of Baltimore became the first pitcher in modern (since 1900) baseball history to give up four home runs without recording a single out in the first inning of Baltimore's 15-7 loss to Kansas City. KC went on to score 10 runs in the first inning.

Ironically, this was the first time Kansas City had ever scored ten runs or more in the first inning of a game and won. They did this one time before and managed to lose the game.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2344 ... ing-record

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 am 

silverscreenselect wrote:
Dylan Bundy of Baltimore became the first pitcher in modern (since 1900) baseball history to give up four home runs without recording a single out in the first inning of Baltimore's 15-7 loss to Kansas City. KC went on to score 10 runs in the first inning.

Ironically, this was the first time Kansas City had ever scored ten runs or more in the first inning of a game and won. They did this one time before and managed to lose the game.

So what? I could do that any day of the week.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 pm 

flockofseagulls104 wrote:

Really? You're a Major League pitcher? I had no idea.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:26 pm 

triviawayne wrote:

I will guarantee I could duplicate and surpass that feat if given the chance by ANY baseball team.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 am 
Evil Genius

I will guarantee I could duplicate and surpass that feat if given the chance by ANY baseball team.
I think you're underestimating the velocity and accuracy required by a pitcher to pitch home run balls to 4 batters.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:30 am 

Estonut wrote:
I think you're underestimating the velocity and accuracy required by a pitcher to pitch home run balls to 4 batters.

Why so literal?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:37 am 

triviawayne wrote:

"given the chance" is key here

not to mention you would have to have the skill to get it over the plate from 60'6", something a majority of the general population can't.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 am 

triviawayne wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

"given the chance" is key here

not to mention you would have to have the skill to get it over the plate from 60'6", something a majority of the general population can't.

I'm almost 60 and I can do it.

The point (and in jest) Flock was making, is that setting a record for being bad is easy. While interesting because it is rare, any pitcher could achieve that distinction.

Estonut wrote:

I guess you've never watched the All-Star HR Derby where a pitching coach tosses Little League tosses to the guys at home plate for them to hit as many HRs as they can. They are being tossed at 50 - 60 mph.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 am 
Dumbass

BackInTex wrote:
Estonut wrote:

I guess you've never watched the All-Star HR Derby where a pitching coach tosses Little League tosses to the guys at home plate for them to hit as many HRs as they can. They are being tossed at 50 - 60 mph.

It's been a long time since I hit up one of those pitching speed booths that shows you how hard you throw the ball, but I remember giving it my all and the mph was embarrassingly low. Even 50-60 mph is not as easy as people think it is... throwing a baseball for velocity requires slightly different mechanics than how a person would normally throw something...

That said, I'd bet the majority of amateur ceremonial first pitches could be knocked out of the park by even the average Major League hitter...

lb13

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:39 am 

littlebeast13 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Estonut wrote:

It's been a long time since I hit up one of those pitching speed booths that shows you how hard you throw the ball, but I remember giving it my all and the mph was embarrassingly low. Even 50-60 mph is not as easy as people think it is... throwing a baseball for velocity requires slightly different mechanics than how a person would normally throw something...

That said, I'd bet the majority of amateur ceremonial first pitches could be knocked out of the park by even the average Major League hitter...

lb13

It's a 50/50 proposition.

Maybe less

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:13 am 
Dumbass

Carly hit the target dead on.... I'm assuming she was aiming for that video camera in foul territory.

She'll get the call from the bullpen, maybe.....

lb13

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:27 pm 
Bored Moderator

littlebeast13 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Estonut wrote:

lb13
Probably not this one. --Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:29 am 
Evil Genius

BackInTex wrote:
I'm almost 60 and I can do it.
That's great! I'd suspect that puts you at less than 1% of the population.

BackInTex wrote:
The point (and in jest) Flock was making, is that setting a record for being bad is easy. While interesting because it is rare, any pitcher could achieve that distinction.
I understand that he was joking about futility. Had he said he could lose games or walk 65 batters as a pitcher, I'd have said, "easy." Getting 4 pitches across the plate from 60.5 feet with enough velocity to become HR pitches without walking the batters is not.

BackInTex wrote:
I've watched many of them. I even saw one in person.
1) That pitching coach has been pitching for 35-45 years, maybe 20-30 professionally.
2) 50-60 mph is not a toss. There is very little arc on such a pitch. Nowhere near the rainbows thrown by the usual "throw out the first pitch" honorees.
3) Those experienced pitching coaches are throwing from behind a net, well in front of the mound, somewhere around 45 feet from the plate. 50-60 mph seems much faster when the distance traveled is reduced by 25%.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 am 

This thread demonstrates that we will argue about literally anything.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:24 am 
FNGD Forum Moderator

elwoodblues wrote:

"Literally" anything?

OK, let's put this statement to the test...

Green Eggs And Ham is a work of genius from a master of literature. Screw Shakespeare.

Go on, argue with me. I triple dog dare ya.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am 

T_Bone0806 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:

"Literally" anything?

Green Eggs And Ham is a work of genius from a master of literature. Screw Shakespeare.

You first have to say something I disagree with.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:34 am 
Bored Moderator

T_Bone0806 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:

"Literally" anything?

How can anyone prefer anapestic tetrameter to the classic iambic pentameter of Shakespeare's sonnets? :mrgreen: --Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:40 am 

Estonut wrote:
3) Those experienced pitching coaches are throwing from behind a net, well in front of the mound, somewhere around 45 feet from the plate. 50-60 mph seems much faster when the distance traveled is reduced by 25%.

I think George W Bush's pitch, from the mound, same rubber used by the pitchers, was fast enough and accurate enough to be driven over the fence. He was 55 at the time. Got one throw.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:36 am 

T_Bone0806 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:

"Literally" anything?

(in a british accent)No, it isn't.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:33 am 
FNGD Forum Moderator

T_Bone0806 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:

"Literally" anything?

(in a British accent that sounds suspiciously like Michael Palin) Look, this isn't an argument. It's just contradiction. An argument isn't just contradiction. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:37 am 

T_Bone0806 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:

"Literally" anything?

(in a British accent that sounds suspiciously like Michael Palin) Look, this isn't an argument. It's just contradiction. An argument isn't just contradiction. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

No, it's not.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 am 
Queen of Wack

T_Bone0806 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:

"Literally" anything?

I prefer One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish as it engages both right and left brain sections. Green Eggs love makes me question your artistic motives, you apostate.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 am 
FNGD Forum Moderator

T_Bone0806 wrote:

No, it's not.

Yes it is!

Oh I've had enough of this...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 am 
FNGD Forum Moderator

Beebs52 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:

"Literally" anything?

I prefer One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish as it engages both right and left brain sections. Green Eggs love makes me question your artistic motives, you apostate.

I'll come back and argue with you once I figger out whether you're calling me one of the 12 disciples or a gland that needs a periodic exam.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:38 pm 
Director of Promos

Another example of extreme shifting:

The batter, Joey Gallo, grounded to one of the second basemen.

Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Waiting their turn:
The Night Train
Devin Drake: World's Worst Magician

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret