Baseball History Tonight... Not the Good Kind

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Baseball History Tonight... Not the Good Kind

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Dylan Bundy of Baltimore became the first pitcher in modern (since 1900) baseball history to give up four home runs without recording a single out in the first inning of Baltimore's 15-7 loss to Kansas City. KC went on to score 10 runs in the first inning.

Ironically, this was the first time Kansas City had ever scored ten runs or more in the first inning of a game and won. They did this one time before and managed to lose the game.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2344 ... ing-record
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

Re: Baseball History Tonight... Not the Good Kind

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Dylan Bundy of Baltimore became the first pitcher in modern (since 1900) baseball history to give up four home runs without recording a single out in the first inning of Baltimore's 15-7 loss to Kansas City. KC went on to score 10 runs in the first inning.

Ironically, this was the first time Kansas City had ever scored ten runs or more in the first inning of a game and won. They did this one time before and managed to lose the game.

So what? I could do that any day of the week.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

triviawayne

#3 Post by triviawayne » Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Dylan Bundy of Baltimore became the first pitcher in modern (since 1900) baseball history to give up four home runs without recording a single out in the first inning of Baltimore's 15-7 loss to Kansas City. KC went on to score 10 runs in the first inning.

Really? You're a Major League pitcher? I had no idea.

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:26 pm

triviawayne wrote:

I will guarantee I could duplicate and surpass that feat if given the chance by ANY baseball team.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I will guarantee I could duplicate and surpass that feat if given the chance by ANY baseball team.
I think you're underestimating the velocity and accuracy required by a pitcher to pitch home run balls to 4 batters.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:30 am

Estonut wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:I will guarantee I could duplicate and surpass that feat if given the chance by ANY baseball team.
I think you're underestimating the velocity and accuracy required by a pitcher to pitch home run balls to 4 batters.
Why so literal?

triviawayne

#7 Post by triviawayne » Thu May 10, 2018 5:37 am

triviawayne wrote:
I will guarantee I could duplicate and surpass that feat if given the chance by ANY baseball team.
"given the chance" is key here

not to mention you would have to have the skill to get it over the plate from 60'6", something a majority of the general population can't.

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 am

triviawayne wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
"given the chance" is key here

not to mention you would have to have the skill to get it over the plate from 60'6", something a majority of the general population can't.
I'm almost 60 and I can do it.

The point (and in jest) Flock was making, is that setting a record for being bad is easy. While interesting because it is rare, any pitcher could achieve that distinction.
Estonut wrote:I think you're underestimating the velocity and accuracy required by a pitcher to pitch home run balls to 4 batters.
I guess you've never watched the All-Star HR Derby where a pitching coach tosses Little League tosses to the guys at home plate for them to hit as many HRs as they can. They are being tossed at 50 - 60 mph.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 am

BackInTex wrote:
Estonut wrote:I think you're underestimating the velocity and accuracy required by a pitcher to pitch home run balls to 4 batters.
I guess you've never watched the All-Star HR Derby where a pitching coach tosses Little League tosses to the guys at home plate for them to hit as many HRs as they can. They are being tossed at 50 - 60 mph.

It's been a long time since I hit up one of those pitching speed booths that shows you how hard you throw the ball, but I remember giving it my all and the mph was embarrassingly low. Even 50-60 mph is not as easy as people think it is... throwing a baseball for velocity requires slightly different mechanics than how a person would normally throw something...

That said, I'd bet the majority of amateur ceremonial first pitches could be knocked out of the park by even the average Major League hitter...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 10, 2018 7:39 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

It's been a long time since I hit up one of those pitching speed booths that shows you how hard you throw the ball, but I remember giving it my all and the mph was embarrassingly low. Even 50-60 mph is not as easy as people think it is... throwing a baseball for velocity requires slightly different mechanics than how a person would normally throw something...

That said, I'd bet the majority of amateur ceremonial first pitches could be knocked out of the park by even the average Major League hitter...

lb13
It's a 50/50 proposition.

Maybe less

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:13 am

Carly hit the target dead on.... I'm assuming she was aiming for that video camera in foul territory.

She'll get the call from the bullpen, maybe.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:27 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

lb13
Probably not this one. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Sat May 12, 2018 4:29 am

BackInTex wrote:I'm almost 60 and I can do it.
That's great! I'd suspect that puts you at less than 1% of the population.
BackInTex wrote:The point (and in jest) Flock was making, is that setting a record for being bad is easy. While interesting because it is rare, any pitcher could achieve that distinction.
I understand that he was joking about futility. Had he said he could lose games or walk 65 batters as a pitcher, I'd have said, "easy." Getting 4 pitches across the plate from 60.5 feet with enough velocity to become HR pitches without walking the batters is not.
BackInTex wrote:I guess you've never watched the All-Star HR Derby where a pitching coach tosses Little League tosses to the guys at home plate for them to hit as many HRs as they can. They are being tossed at 50 - 60 mph.
I've watched many of them. I even saw one in person.
1) That pitching coach has been pitching for 35-45 years, maybe 20-30 professionally.
2) 50-60 mph is not a toss. There is very little arc on such a pitch. Nowhere near the rainbows thrown by the usual "throw out the first pitch" honorees.
3) Those experienced pitching coaches are throwing from behind a net, well in front of the mound, somewhere around 45 feet from the plate. 50-60 mph seems much faster when the distance traveled is reduced by 25%.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

elwoodblues

#14 Post by elwoodblues » Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 am

This thread demonstrates that we will argue about literally anything.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:24 am

elwoodblues wrote:This thread demonstrates that we will argue about literally anything.
"Literally" anything?

OK, let's put this statement to the test...

Green Eggs And Ham is a work of genius from a master of literature. Screw Shakespeare.

Go on, argue with me. I triple dog dare ya.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:This thread demonstrates that we will argue about literally anything.
"Literally" anything?

Green Eggs And Ham is a work of genius from a master of literature. Screw Shakespeare.

You first have to say something I disagree with.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:34 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
"Literally" anything?

How can anyone prefer anapestic tetrameter to the classic iambic pentameter of Shakespeare's sonnets? :mrgreen: --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Sat May 12, 2018 11:40 am

Estonut wrote: 3) Those experienced pitching coaches are throwing from behind a net, well in front of the mound, somewhere around 45 feet from the plate. 50-60 mph seems much faster when the distance traveled is reduced by 25%.
I think George W Bush's pitch, from the mound, same rubber used by the pitchers, was fast enough and accurate enough to be driven over the fence. He was 55 at the time. Got one throw.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#19 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:36 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
"Literally" anything?

(in a british accent)No, it isn't.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:33 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
"Literally" anything?

(in a British accent that sounds suspiciously like Michael Palin) Look, this isn't an argument. It's just contradiction. An argument isn't just contradiction. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

flockofseagulls104

#21 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:37 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:
"Literally" anything?

(in a British accent that sounds suspiciously like Michael Palin) Look, this isn't an argument. It's just contradiction. An argument isn't just contradiction. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
No, it's not.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#22 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
"Literally" anything?

I prefer One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish as it engages both right and left brain sections. Green Eggs love makes me question your artistic motives, you apostate.
Well, then

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#23 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: (in a british accent)No, it isn't.

No, it's not.
Yes it is!

Oh I've had enough of this...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#24 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 am

Beebs52 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:
"Literally" anything?

I prefer One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish as it engages both right and left brain sections. Green Eggs love makes me question your artistic motives, you apostate.

I'll come back and argue with you once I figger out whether you're calling me one of the 12 disciples or a gland that needs a periodic exam.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Vandal
Director of Promos

#25 Post by Vandal » Tue May 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Another example of extreme shifting:

The batter, Joey Gallo, grounded to one of the second basemen.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster