new hot button issue

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)

One space or two

One space
38%
Two spaces
63%
It depends - manual typewriter or word processor
No votes
WGAS
No votes

Total votes: 8

earendel

new hot button issue

#1 Post by earendel » Wed May 09, 2018 9:55 am

As if we don't have enough to argue about around here, how about this? One space after a period or two? A recent study (criticized for its use of monospace fonts like Courier) claims that two spaces makes for a more readable document.
Last edited by earendel on Wed May 09, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: new hot button issue

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:27 am

earendel wrote:As if we don't have enough to argue about around here, how about this? One space after a period or two? A recent study (criticized for its use of monospace fonts like Courier) claims that two spaces makes for a more readable document.
The machine isn't accepting my vote. Maybe if I voted for the Republican choice instead . . . . :mrgreen:

More seriously (a little), isn't the issue moot? I habitually use two spaces here on the Bored, and the software automatically converts my formatting choice to one space. I demand my right to self-determination! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 09, 2018 3:52 pm

The "rule" is one space if using a proportional font and two if using a fixed font.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 pm

earendel wrote:As if we don't have enough to argue about around here, how about this? One space after a period or two? A recent study (criticized for its use of monospace fonts like Courier) claims that two spaces makes for a more readable document.
Not only did it use a fixed font, if you read deeply into the study, it says that the only people who said that two spaces were significantly more readable were the people in the study who were two-space users to begin with. The rest of the people (all 40-something out of 60-something total -- great sample size!) did not see any significant difference.

Another clear case of science-illiterate journalists writing a false story to get a cute headline out of it.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jaybee

#5 Post by jaybee » Thu May 10, 2018 7:50 am

All I can add is the fact that Mrs. Jiles, my 10th grade typing teacher would not be taking it well if I didn't have TWO spaces after a period. But then (and I swear to God that this is totally true): Mrs. Jiles had a very large Bowie knife that she would hold while walking up and down the rows of typists all the while slapping the palm of one hand with the flat side of the blade. (Really, I kid you not).

This was back in the day where we did have one entire row of those fancy-dancy IBM Selectric type typewriters. The rest being Underwood manual units. Nowadays, both typewriters of any kind AND teachers with large knives in class are non-existent.

Dose were da days!

But to this day, I am a two space kind of guy. Just can't get over the two space habit. (glancing back over my shoulder looking for Mrs. J and her knife)

On edit, I see that it is true that the format here automatically takes two spaces at the end of a sentence and makes it just one space. So I guess that if I mysteriously stop posting, and maybe if you see a news report of an old guy in Tennessee found hacked to death in front of his computer screen it may turn out that Mrs. Jiles is still alive and also on-line.
Jaybee

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Sat May 12, 2018 3:37 am

jaybee wrote:On edit, I see that it is true that the format here automatically takes two spaces at the end of a sentence and makes it just one space.
The text is displayed as if it were one, but both spaces are still there. Quote such a post (like this one) and you will still see both spaces in the actual text.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:28 am

Estonut wrote:
jaybee wrote:On edit, I see that it is true that the format here automatically takes two spaces at the end of a sentence and makes it just one space.
The text is displayed as if it were one, but both spaces are still there. Quote such a post (like this one) and you will still see both spaces in the actual text.
If a space falls in the forest but there's no one to see it, is it still there? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson