R.I.P. Billy Cannon

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

R.I.P. Billy Cannon

#1 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am

Heisman Trophy winner and former Houston Oiler running back
Former Oilers running back and LSU legend Billy Cannon, the first college star signed by the American Football League in its war with the National Football League, died Sunday at his home in St. Francisville, La. He was 80.

Cannon, who led the Tigers to a national championship in 1958 and won the Heisman Trophy in 1959, was pursued by Oilers owner Bud Adams and Los Angeles Rams general manager Pete Rozelle.

Rozelle, who was named NFL commissioner in January 1960, signed Cannon to a contract in November 1959. Adams signed him after LSU lost to Mississippi in the 1960 Sugar Bowl. The Rams filed a lawsuit, but the judge ruled in Adams’ favor.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

Re: R.I.P. Billy Cannon

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 21, 2018 8:56 am

Cannon is best remembered for one play, one of the most famous in SEC history, an 89-yard punt return for a touchdown against Ole Miss in a Halloween night game in 1959. It was the only touchdown in the 7-3 LSU win. Both teams were undefeated going into the game. (The punt return is at about the 1:20 mark)

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com