WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm 
Offline
Director of Promos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 3462
Location: Literary Circles
Quote:
All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano of the Seattle Mariners was suspended 80 games without pay by Major League Baseball after testing positive for a banned substance, it was announced Tuesday.

Cano tested positive for the diuretic Furosemide, which violates the MLB's drug prevention and treatment program. He said he would accept the suspension, which begins immediately.

"Recently I learned that I tested positive for a substance called Furosemide, which is not a performance enhancing substance," Cano said in a statement released by the MLB Players Association. "... For more than 15 years, playing professional baseball has been the greatest honor and privilege of my life. I would never do anything to cheat the rules of the game that I love, and after undergoing dozens of drug tests over more than a decade, I have never tested positive for a performance enhancing substance for the simple reason that I have never taken one."


http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23512723/robinson-cano-seattle-mariners-suspended-80-games-violating-joint-drug-agreement

_________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man


Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Waiting their turn:
The Night Train
Devin Drake: World's Worst Magician

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21234
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Vandal wrote:
Quote:
All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano of the Seattle Mariners was suspended 80 games without pay by Major League Baseball after testing positive for a banned substance, it was announced Tuesday.

Cano tested positive for the diuretic Furosemide, which violates the MLB's drug prevention and treatment program. He said he would accept the suspension, which begins immediately.

"Recently I learned that I tested positive for a substance called Furosemide, which is not a performance enhancing substance," Cano said in a statement released by the MLB Players Association. "... For more than 15 years, playing professional baseball has been the greatest honor and privilege of my life. I would never do anything to cheat the rules of the game that I love, and after undergoing dozens of drug tests over more than a decade, I have never tested positive for a performance enhancing substance for the simple reason that I have never taken one."


http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23512723/robinson-cano-seattle-mariners-suspended-80-games-violating-joint-drug-agreement

They must think he's a horse. Furosemide is the same thing as Lasix which in many states is banned from being given to horses; it helps prevent bleeding in their lungs which can result in a faster run. I took it when I had afib to reduce edema.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 14620
Bob Juch wrote:
I took it when I had afib to reduce edema.


It's a good thing you're not playing major league baseball, or you'd have a lengthy vacation right now.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16503
Location: By the phone
I'm starting to think that MLBPA gave too much ground on drug policy. Canó is correct that his substance is not a PED. It's banned because it can be used to mask PED use. Given that it's not itself a PED and that he's had gazillions of negative drug tests in the past, I'm thinking that someone in that position (some number of prior negative tests, no positive tests, and a substance that's banned only because it can mask PEDs, not because it is itself a PED) doesn't deserve an 80-game suspension and a postseason ban. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 5156
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
Bob78164 wrote:
I'm starting to think that MLBPA gave too much ground on drug policy. Canó is correct that his substance is not a PED. It's banned because it can be used to mask PED use. Given that it's not itself a PED and that he's had gazillions of negative drug tests in the past, I'm thinking that someone in that position (some number of prior negative tests, no positive tests, and a substance that's banned only because it can mask PEDs, not because it is itself a PED) doesn't deserve an 80-game suspension and a postseason ban. --Bob


If Cano is telling the absolute, God's honest truth, he should sue the doctor that prescribed him the drug for malpractice. Does he seriously intend for people to believe that he "innocently" took a drug on the proscribed list? The list is not private, it's not secret, and it hasn't changed all that much in the last five years. MLB players, coaches, AND medical personnel receive annual training on how to avoid drugs on the list.

Cano may not have taken a PED, but he sure fits the profile: an aging player well past the halfway point of his career, beset by injuries and trying to stay in the game he loves as long as he can. I'll believe him when he explains the circumstances why he would need a diuretic, who prescribed it and where, and why neither of them realized it was on the banned list.

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:37 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16503
Location: By the phone
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I'm starting to think that MLBPA gave too much ground on drug policy. Canó is correct that his substance is not a PED. It's banned because it can be used to mask PED use. Given that it's not itself a PED and that he's had gazillions of negative drug tests in the past, I'm thinking that someone in that position (some number of prior negative tests, no positive tests, and a substance that's banned only because it can mask PEDs, not because it is itself a PED) doesn't deserve an 80-game suspension and a postseason ban. --Bob


If Cano is telling the absolute, God's honest truth, he should sue the doctor that prescribed him the drug for malpractice. Does he seriously intend for people to believe that he "innocently" took a drug on the proscribed list? The list is not private, it's not secret, and it hasn't changed all that much in the last five years. MLB players, coaches, AND medical personnel receive annual training on how to avoid drugs on the list.

Cano may not have taken a PED, but he sure fits the profile: an aging player well past the halfway point of his career, beset by injuries and trying to stay in the game he loves as long as he can. I'll believe him when he explains the circumstances why he would need a diuretic, who prescribed it and where, and why neither of them realized it was on the banned list.
It looks like the rules are already what I think they should be. The use of a diuretic does not lead to an automatic suspension unless MLB is able to prove that the player intended to use it as a masking agent. According to the linked story, MLB was able to come up with that proof during the appeal process, and Canó dropped his appeal of the suspension. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: silvercamaro and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.