WWTBAM Question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Coupon Boy

WWTBAM Question

#1 Post by Coupon Boy » Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 am

It's no secret there have been a good number of tough question stacks even in the first tier since the show switched back to the classic format. I know this has led to loads of $5,000 winners, several $7,000 bailouts (at least 4 that I can think of), and a far greater frequency of llamas than in the old days (pre-2008) of the classic format.

What I haven't seen in any of the episodes I saw on tv or the recaps of here, though, is someone walking with $2,000 or $3,000 in the first tier. Has that happened during Harrison's run as host?

talkinaway

Re: WWTBAM Question

#2 Post by talkinaway » Thu May 17, 2018 1:28 pm

I can't imagine someone walking at $3,000. IIRC, contestants are guaranteed $1,000 that's not advertised if they get bomb out. Even if you're only 50-50 on the answer, you should guess - you win $2,000 plus an absolutely free shot at the next question if you're right, and you lose $2,000 if you're wrong. And the dollar amounts are nice, but generally not life-changing - it's not like you have $300,000 and you have the option to coin-flip to win a total of $500,000 or lose for a total of $100,000.

Plus, I imagine they'd screen out absolute chickens in the auditions. Yes, they get people who are risk-averse and walk when they might know the answer, BUT they're not going to accept someone who walks at a low level even when they're 99% sure.

I play Millionaire when I come home, and track which questions I get right on a spreadsheet, and track the level of the questions. One stack only got to question 3 because the contestant got apparently got nervous and blurted out the wrong answer:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54593

I do see a spot where there are only 4 questions - episode #80 of this season. I got it right, but not sure if the contestant bombed or bailed. I also do have a 6 question stack that both I bombed and the contestant bombed or bailed - perhaps a common blind spot for the two of us, like knowledge of the Real Housewives.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:34 pm

talkinaway wrote:I can't imagine someone walking at $3,000. IIRC, contestants are guaranteed $1,000 that's not advertised if they get bomb out. Even if you're only 50-50 on the answer, you should guess - you win $2,000 plus an absolutely free shot at the next question if you're right, and you lose $2,000 if you're wrong. And the dollar amounts are nice, but generally not life-changing - it's not like you have $300,000 and you have the option to coin-flip to win a total of $500,000 or lose for a total of $100,000.

Plus, I imagine they'd screen out absolute chickens in the auditions. Yes, they get people who are risk-averse and walk when they might know the answer, BUT they're not going to accept someone who walks at a low level even when they're 99% sure.

I play Millionaire when I come home, and track which questions I get right on a spreadsheet, and track the level of the questions. One stack only got to question 3 because the contestant got apparently got nervous and blurted out the wrong answer:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54593

I do see a spot where there are only 4 questions - episode #80 of this season. I got it right, but not sure if the contestant bombed or bailed. I also do have a 6 question stack that both I bombed and the contestant bombed or bailed - perhaps a common blind spot for the two of us, like knowledge of the Real Housewives.
It was during the Meredith days, but I do remember at least one contestant who walked away before reaching the first safe harbor. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

bazodee

#4 Post by bazodee » Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm

bazodee

#5 Post by bazodee » Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:54 pm

bazodee wrote:Here's an example (sort of)

http://millionaire.wikia.com/wiki/Cheryl_Turner
I think Michelle Glover is the contestant I had in mind. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

K.P.

#7 Post by K.P. » Tue May 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
bazodee wrote:Here's an example (sort of)

http://millionaire.wikia.com/wiki/Cheryl_Turner
I think Michelle Glover is the contestant I had in mind. --Bob
I can't believe Michelle's game hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet.

Incidentally, would Michelle be the only non-llama contestant to not receive a 1099? Those don't kick in until $600, right?