Email service question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Email service question

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:44 am

Yahoo, Verizon asking for acceptance of Oath terms, etc. Is there any service you gurus believe is less analytica-like or are all terms pretty much same? New stuff includes the usual- we'll use your info, no arbitration which is new I guess, blah blah. In other words the grab is overtly formalized.
Thx for any input.
Well, then

BackInTex

Re: Email service question

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 18, 2018 7:26 am

I secured my own domain and hosting through Hostgator. It is not free, but not very expensive. I get unlimited email accounts, unlimited storage, and I don't have to change my email whenever I change providers for internet or cell service. Managing the SPAM was a little tricky but I have a handle on it now. The tools they provide catch more things we want to see, but I am able to easily see them and forward them on.

Plus, you get simple email addresses like:

brad@xxxxxxx.xx
kim@xxxxxxx.xx
emily@xxxxxxx.xx
travis@xxxxxxx.xx
caroline@xxxxxxx.xx
katie@xxxxxxx.xx
barbara@xxxxxxx.xx
fbn@xxxxxxx.xx (fly by night) for when I have to provide an email for something I'll never use again.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 am

Beebs52 wrote:Yahoo, Verizon asking for acceptance of Oath terms, etc. Is there any service you gurus believe is less analytica-like or are all terms pretty much same? New stuff includes the usual- we'll use your info, no arbitration which is new I guess, blah blah. In other words the grab is overtly formalized.
Thx for any input.
This may have to do with the new European Union privacy rules that go into effect next week. They pertain to any company that obtains personal data on any resident of an EU company, which means, in essence, any large Internet-based company. The rules require companies to get explicit informed consent from any individual in an EU country from whom they collect personal data and give people a way to revoke that consent. It also requires companies to give you an easy way to request access to that data and request it to be erased when no longer needed. The regulation was adopted two years ago, but, as might be expected, a lot of companies waited until the last minute to try to comply.

Mailchimp, which handles the signups for my website, has already contacted me about upgrading my form to comply with the new regulations, and when I do some work on updating the site over my upcoming vacation, I'll take care of that (I don't send out regular e-mailings right now and I only have a handful of people on the mailing list).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Yahoo, Verizon asking for acceptance of Oath terms, etc. Is there any service you gurus believe is less analytica-like or are all terms pretty much same? New stuff includes the usual- we'll use your info, no arbitration which is new I guess, blah blah. In other words the grab is overtly formalized.
Thx for any input.
This may have to do with the new European Union privacy rules that go into effect next week. They pertain to any company that obtains personal data on any resident of an EU company, which means, in essence, any large Internet-based company. The rules require companies to get explicit informed consent from any individual in an EU country from whom they collect personal data and give people a way to revoke that consent. It also requires companies to give you an easy way to request access to that data and request it to be erased when no longer needed. The regulation was adopted two years ago, but, as might be expected, a lot of companies waited until the last minute to try to comply.

Mailchimp, which handles the signups for my website, has already contacted me about upgrading my form to comply with the new regulations, and when I do some work on updating the site over my upcoming vacation, I'll take care of that (I don't send out regular e-mailings right now and I only have a handful of people on the mailing list).
Essentially all providers are or will be doing same, right? I have no illusions about retaining massive privacy unless I go total hermit. It's a hassle to change emails for everything.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 18, 2018 7:44 am

Beebs52 wrote: Essentially all providers are or will be doing same, right?
The regulation applies to any company that collects data or could collect data from a resident of an EU country, which would probably apply to almost any company in the world that has an interactive Internet presence.
Organisations based outside of the EU must comply if they handle, store, manage, or process EU citizens’ personal data. Any companies in the world who sell to European companies, or received data from EU citizens, for example will be affected.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Thx for any input.

Essentially all providers are or will be doing same, right? I have no illusions about retaining massive privacy unless I go total hermit. It's a hassle to change emails for everything.
Yes, the new terms are more restrictive than the old ones.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

As in restrictive for them, right?
Well, then

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
As in restrictive for them, right?
Yes
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 am

Ok, so I shall assimilate. Thx guys
Well, then

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Fri May 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Ok, so I shall assimilate. Thx guys
Resistance is futile!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."