Game #180: Inside Out

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Re: Game #180: Inside Out

#51 Post by jarnon » Thu May 24, 2018 9:35 am

franktangredi wrote:Some of the names may be a little more obscure than usual. I hope this doesn't jam you up too much.
franktangredi wrote:You're referring to the game Puzzle Jam? It always feels good when people remember past games!
Frank's hinting that this game resembles Puzzle Jam. The title "Inside Out" may also be a clue to the Tangredi.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Pastor Fireball

#52 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu May 24, 2018 10:06 am

franktangredi wrote:19. He was the third of only three American League managers to be named Manager of the Year three times.
I just noticed Frank's wording of this clue. The last part of the clue says just "Manager of the Year" rather than "American League Manager of the Year"... which implies that somebody also won the award for the National League. The problem there is that the number of managers would go from two to six. La Russa and Showalter are the only two managers to win three awards solely in the American League. There is no third who would be a valid answer if that had been the intended clue.

Assuming that Frank meant my interpretation of the clue, the correct answer to this clue would be one of these four guys: Bobby Cox (1 AL, 3 NL), Jim Leyland (1 AL, 2 NL), Joe Maddon (2 AL, 1 NL), or Lou Piniella (2 AL, 1 NL).
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

jarnon

#53 Post by jarnon » Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am

Pastor Fireball wrote:
franktangredi wrote:19. He was the third of only three American League managers to be named Manager of the Year three times.
I just noticed Frank's wording of this clue. The last part of the clue says just "Manager of the Year" rather than "American League Manager of the Year"... which implies that somebody also won the award for the National League. The problem there is that the number of managers would go from two to six. La Russa and Showalter are the only two managers to win three awards solely in the American League. There is no third who would be a valid answer if that had been the intended clue.

Assuming that Frank meant my interpretation of the clue, the correct answer to this clue would be one of these four guys: Bobby Cox (1 AL, 3 NL), Jim Leyland (1 AL, 2 NL), Joe Maddon (2 AL, 1 NL), or Lou Piniella (2 AL, 1 NL).
Good catch! This must be the question with wrong answers in tandem. I think the right answer is Leyland, since he got his third Manager of the Year award in the AL.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#54 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 am

5. The woman who inspired this Renaissance humanist’s finest poetry may have been the wife of an ancestor of the Marquis de Sade.

PETRARCH
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

franktangredi

#55 Post by franktangredi » Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am

Pastor Fireball wrote:

This was a subtlety in wording that I did not intend.

Pastor Fireball

#56 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri May 25, 2018 7:20 am

jarnon wrote:
franktangredi wrote:Some of the names may be a little more obscure than usual. I hope this doesn't jam you up too much.
franktangredi wrote:You're referring to the game Puzzle Jam? It always feels good when people remember past games!
Frank's hinting that this game resembles Puzzle Jam. The title "Inside Out" may also be a clue to the Tangredi.
I've been playing with that title myself. I'm trying to find some names that are inside one part of a name and outside of another name, then pair them with one of the Associated Words. "Trixie" almost certainly has to lead to Art Carney, but I don't see an Art within any of the first names... save for its reverse inside of PETRARCH, which Bob J. got yesterday afternoon.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#57 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 25, 2018 7:28 am

Pastor Fireball wrote: "Trixie" almost certainly has to lead to Art Carney, but I don't see an Art within any of the first names... save for its reverse inside of PETRARCH, which Bob J. got yesterday afternoon.
It could link to Joyce Randolph, the actress who played Trixie on the Honeymooners.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#58 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Pastor Fireball wrote: "Trixie" almost certainly has to lead to Art Carney, but I don't see an Art within any of the first names... save for its reverse inside of PETRARCH, which Bob J. got yesterday afternoon.
It could link to Joyce Randolph, the actress who played Trixie on the Honeymooners.

How about this?

79. EDNA PURVIANCE + 15. WILLIAM MORTON = ED NORTON goes with Trixie

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silverscreenselect

#59 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 25, 2018 7:43 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

How about this?

lb13
That's it.

CLAUs von Bulow + Roger DEAKINS = CLAUDE AKINS (Sheriff?)
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mrkelley23

#60 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:52 am

59. DEANa Carter + 16. HutCHESON = DEAN ACHESON (JFK)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#61 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 am

87. GLENda Hatchett + 7. Oprah WiNFREY = GLENN FREY (Eagles)
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#62 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:09 am

3. TYCho Brahe + 93. Lynda ROBB = Ty Cobb (Peach)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#63 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 25, 2018 8:35 am

Here are a couple of more names with which to work.
franktangredi wrote:8. Invited by Balanchine to join the fledgling New York City Ballet in 1949, this Canadian ballerina remained one of its principal dancers for the next 24 years.
Melissa Hayden
franktangredi wrote:83. His work at the Henry Street Playhouse – which involved innovative use of lighting, slides, and electronic music – led to this choreographer becoming known as “the father of multimedia theatre.”
Alwin Nikolais
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Pastor Fireball

#64 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri May 25, 2018 9:44 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:

How about this?

lb13
Aha, so I was in the right church after all.

28. TARiq Aziz + 96. Eric SevAREID = TARA REID (Pie)

mellytu74

#65 Post by mellytu74 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:31 am

20. BILBo Baggins + 71. cAIRD = Bil Baird (Puppet)

mellytu74

#66 Post by mellytu74 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:34 am

27. In an influential 1975 book, this feminist propounded the thesis that rape is "a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear."
GLORIA STEINEM?

SUSAN BROWNMILLER (Against Our Will)

mellytu74

#67 Post by mellytu74 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:43 am

88. KAYO MULLINS + 21. CATHERINE PARR = Kay Orr, former governor of (Nebraska)

mrkelley23

#68 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:39 pm

I wonder if Frank's comment about one clue with two possible answers, both of which are wrong "in tandem," refers to #47. I don't think Kander wrote lyrics, and the clue is pretty specific about a team of lyricists. I think maybe the clue refers to Adolph Green and Betty Comden, scriptwriters and lyricists extraordinaire, and therefore the answer would be ADOLPH GREEN.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#69 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 pm

35. JANELle monae + 114. Dan rEEVES = JANE LEEVES (Daphne)

jarnon

#70 Post by jarnon » Fri May 25, 2018 9:03 pm

New consolidation…

Identify the 120 people in the clues below. Match them into 60 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Then, match each pair with one of the Associated Words. None of the names will be used twice.

Some of the names may be a little more obscure than usual. I hope this doesn't jam you up too much.

1. In a seminal 1559 work, this theologian wrote that “since the arrangement of all things is in the hand of God, since to him belongs the disposal of life and death, he arranges all things by his sovereign counsel, in such a way that individuals are born, who are doomed from the womb to certain death, and are to glorify him by their destruction….”
JOHN CALVIN

2. Her greatest stage triumphs included Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines, A Doll’s House, The Constant Wife, The Kingdom of God – the inaugural production of the theatre that bears her name – and The Corn Is Green.
ETHEL BARRYMORE

*3. TYCHO BRAHE

4. Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina proved to be the key states in his election to the Presidency – which had far-reaching consequences for all three states and the nation as a whole.
RUTHERFORD HAYES

5. The woman who inspired this Renaissance humanist’s finest poetry may have been the wife of an ancestor of the Marquis de Sade.
PETRARCH

6. One of the pallbearers at the funeral of this boxer – ranked by Ring magazine as the greatest puncher of all time – was the man he defeated in his most legendary bout.
JOE LOUIS

*7. OPRAH WINFREY

8. DJMQ:
Invited by Balanchine to join the fledgling New York City Ballet in 1949, this Canadian ballerina remained one of its principal dancers for the next 24 years.
Another DJMQ appears at Question #83.)
MELISSA HAYDEN

9. One of this artist’s most famous works was a gold salt cellar currently insured for some $60,000,000.
BENVENUTO CELLINI

10. Since the Grammy awards for male and female Pop Solo Performance were combined into a single category in 2011, this male singer has won it twice.
ED SHEERAN

11. This military commander was on the losing side of the 1836 engagement for which he is now remembered, but the stirring letter he wrote ten days before his death is credited with contributing to that side’s ultimate victory.
SAM HOUSTON? WILLIAM TRAVIS?

12. LEVI COFFIN

13. This retail magnate – who opened his first successful store in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 1878 – would sometimes make anonymous visits to one of his stores, shoplift items, and then reward employees who caught him at it.
F.W. WOOLWORTH

14. After the sudden death of his wife, this comedian dedicated the next year of his life to completing her unfinished book about a serial killer.
PATTON OSWALT

*15. WILLIAM MORTON
*16. FRANCIS HUTCHESON

17. In 2003, this Canadian-born politician became her state’s first female governor.
JENNIFER GRANHOLM

18. She is a member of the National Women’s Hall of Fame, the Nebraska Hall of Fame, the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame, and the New York Writers Hall of Fame.
WILLA CATHER

19. He was the third of only three American League managers to be named Manager of the Year three times.
JIM LEYLAND?

*20. BILBO BAGGINS
*21. CATHERINE PARR

22. The leading heldentenor of his day, this German opera singer sang Wagnerian roles at the Met more than 500 times between 1926 and 1950.

23. Her excavations at Jericho made her one of the leading archaeologists of the mid-20th century.
KATHLEEN KENYON

24. The career of this notorious gold prospector provided the inspiration for Trey Parker’s Cannibal! The Musical.
ALFERD PACKER

25. In 1958, this British explorer commanded the expedition that made the first overland crossing of Antarctica.

26. This designer’s conspicuous absence of underwear at her 1992 OBE ceremony did not prevent her from being made a Dame fourteen years later. (Apparently, the Queen was not unamused.)
VIVIENNE WESTWOOD

27. In an influential 1975 book, this feminist propounded the thesis that rape is "a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear."
SUSAN BROWNMILLER

*28. TARIQ AZIZ
*29. ROGER DEAKINS

30. A Catholic university on the West Coast is named for this canonized Jesuit who died at the age of 23 while ministering to victims of a plague in Rome.
ST. ALOYSIUS GONZAGA

31. This French physicist won the Nobel Prize after his hypothesis that all matter has wave properties was experimentally confirmed by two American physicists.
LOUIS DE BROGLIE

32. T.S. Eliot praised this author’s masterwork as “the first, the longest, and the best of modern English detective novels,” while both Dorothy L. Sayers and G.K. Chesterton cited it as the finest detective story ever written.
WILKIE COLLINS

33. This halfback for the Rock Island Independents is credited with scoring the first touchdown in NFL history.

34. Some years before this Union general lost – through his own blunder – one of his legs and most of his men at the Battle of Gettysburg, he had made legal history by becoming the first American acquitted of murder by pleading temporary insanity.

*35. JANELLE MONAE
36. MARK ZUCKERBERG

37. This stories that won this journalist a Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting also inspired a film for which the actor playing him received an Oscar nomination.
SYDNEY SCHANBERG

38. A prominent architect of Regency England, his notable buildings included Buckingham Palace and the Royal Pavilion at Brighton.

39. She was a minor figure in the Cleveland numbers rackets, but a major figure in a landmark Supreme Court case that resulted in the Fourth Amendment being applied at the state and local level.
DOLLREE MAPP

40. After serving seven terms in the House of Representative, this Massachusetts Democrat retired to form a lobbying firm – and to serve as president of a medical marijuana company.
BILL DELAHUNT

41. He made a name for himself in Hong Kong action films and Cantonse hip-hop – and a different sort of name for himself in scandals involving sexually explicit photos of himself with various women.

42. He played for an NHL team from 1935 to 1938 and coached the same team from 1955 to 1968, scoring a combined ten Stanley Cup victories in the process.
TOE BLAKE

43. The March of Dimes went into debt funding the work of this researcher – and it was worth it.
JONAS SALK

44. As a professor, he helped CCNY earn its reputation as the “proletarian Harvard;” as a thinker, his writings such as Reason and Nature led New York Times to call him "an almost legendary figure in American philosophy, education and the liberal tradition.”
MORRIS COHEN

45. This novelist built his reputation with satiric depictions of England after World War I, but is best remembered today for a dystopian novel …
ALDOUS HUXLEY

46. … the title of which is taken from a line spoken by this Shakespearean heroine.
MIRANDA

47. He and his longtime partner were the only team of Broadway lyricists to receive the Kennedy Center Honors.
ADOLPH GREEN?

48. In 1930, this young thug was shot in the head and subsequently turned into a useful martyr by the party of thugs to whom he belonged.
HORST WESSEL

49. The ideas of this child psychologist came into direct conflict with those of Anna Freud, eventually causing the British Psychoanalytical Society to split into three camps.

50. Allegations that this celebrity chef fostered a “culture of sexual harassment” in his New Orleans restaurants led to his stepping down as CEO – and being digitally edited out of an episode of Iron Chef Showdown.
MARIO BATALI? JOHN BESH?

51. A hidden copy of the teachings of the stoic philosopher Epictetus helped this U.S. naval officer survive more than seven years of captivity and torture at the Hanoi Hilton.
JAMES STOCKDALE

52. The offices of the brokerage firm that he and his brother Franklyn founded were destroyed in the San Francisco Earthquake, but the firm itself is still going strong. (You may resume your conversation now.)
E.F. HUTTON

53. After refusing to confirm John Tyler’s first four Supreme Court appointments, the Senate finally relented and approved this jurist, who served on the Court for the next 27 years.
ROGER TANEY? SAMUEL NELSON?

54. This Laker was NBA Rookie of the Year in 1959.
ELGIN BAYLOR

55. This English actress was best known on screen for playing the mother of two vicious criminals and the nanny of someone even worse.
BILLIE WHITELAW

56. ELMER RICE

57. As Bishop of Gloucester, he became the first Anglican cleric to denounce the slave trade; he was also an editor of the works of Shakespeare and a staunch defender and friend of Alexander Pope

58. In the early 19th century, Poet Laureate Robert Southey dubbed this Scottish civil engineer the ‘Colossus of Roads’ in honor of the many highways and bridges he designed.
JOHN McADAM? THOMAS TELFORD?

*59. DEANA CARTER

60. This genre painter was best known for his crowded, chaotic scenes of daily life – in fact, his name became a Dutch byword for a disorderly household.
JAN STEEN

61. She was the first woman to make a non-stop westward solo flight across the Atlantic.
AMELIA EARHART? BERYL MARKHAM?

*62. CLAUS VON BULOW

63. During his 31-year stint at the New York Times, this music critic used his considerable influence to champion the works of Jean Sibelius.

64. This social activist was once dubbed “the most hated woman in America,” but the activities for which she was so hated were not the motive for her grisly murder.
MADALYN MURRAY O'HAIR

65. She and her partner won Olympic gold with the aid of a French composer who had died 47 years earlier.
JAYNE TORVILL

66. SALMAN RUSHDIE

67. This Frankish queen – who may or may not have inspired a major figure in Wagnerian opera – was involved in many power struggles before she was executed at the age of 70 by being pulled apart by four horses.

68. This actress spent six seasons playing a guidance counselor at William McKinley High School.
JAYMA MAYS

69. According to Jewish folklore, she started arguing with her husband from Day One, with each of them intent on taking the top position during sex. It went downhill from there.
LILITH

70. Former medical director of the Puerto Rico Family Planning Association, she oversaw the successful clinical trials of the first oral contraceptive.

*71. EDWARD CAIRD

72. This American historian specialized in tracing the impact of technology and urbanization in such works as Technics and Civilization and The City in History.
LEWIS MUMFORD

73. She, Paul McCartney, and Justin Timberlake brought different songs with the same title to Number One on the Billboard pop chart.
PETULA CLARK

74. We may never know the real name of this criminal who was last seen on November 24, 1971.
D.B. COOPER

75. According to Thucydides, this Spartan general captured the city of Byzantium, but was later arrested for collusion with Persia, walled up in a temple, and starved to death.

76. This minister, photographer, and furniture maker helped spur the Colonial Revival style in architecture with his best-selling photographs of the New England landscape.

77. She was still a slave when her poem in praise of General George Washington brought her a personal invitation to visit him at his Massachusetts headquarters.
PHILLIS WHEATLEY

78. This driver made racing history with a victory in the 2008 Indy Japan 300.
DANICA PATRICK

*79. EDNA PURVIANCE

80. She was the first African American woman to serve as campaign manager for a major party presidential candidate.
DONNA BRAZILE

81. Name by Time as one of the 100 Most Influential People of the 20th Century, this advertising pioneer is responsible for such iconic figures as the Marlboro Man, Tony the Tiger, and the lonely Maytag repairman.
LEO BURNETT

82. He and his colleague Mike received the Nobel Prize for "for their discoveries concerning the regulation of cholesterol metabolism.”

83. DJMQ:
His work at the Henry Street Playhouse – which involved innovative use of lighting, slides, and electronic music – led to this choreographer becoming known as “the father of multimedia theatre.”
ALWIN NIKOLAIS

84. Though he brought clownery to his profession, he was not at all amused by how he and his career were portrayed in a 1998 film.
"PATCH" ADAMS

85. This pianist, bandleader and arranger was an important transitional figure in jazz, bringing Louis Armstrong to New York in the 1920s and helping Benny Goodman create the sound of swing in the 1930s.
FLETCHER HENDERSON

86. This scholar and clergyman was the leading figure of the Carolingian Renaissance.
ALCUIN

*87. GLENDA HATCHETT
*88. KAYO MULLINS

89. This poet is best known for writing satiric epigrams during the reigns of Domitian and Trajan.

90. He pitched the twentieth perfect game in MLB history and was one of only six pitchers to receive the Cy Young Award in both leagues.
ROY HALLADAY

91. After 26 years at Goldman Sachs, he left the private sector to serve as Alexander Hamilton’s 69th successor.
STEVEN MNUCHIN

92. Although he died in 1994, the voice of this actor can still be heard during the opening of the television series he starred in for nearly thirty years.
MACDONALD CAREY

*93. LYNDA ROBB

94. This African American inventor is best known for developing a way to send telegraph messages between train stations and moving trains.
GRANVILLE WOODS

95. This musician and songwriter has had a love-hate relationship with the group that made him famous: he once punched a hole in a wall during a dispute with their manager, but has since reunited with surviving former bandmates and called their past collaboration “part of my youth that is always active in my thoughts.”
MIKE NESMITH

*96. ERIC SEVAREID

97. In 2014, this economist became the first woman to fill a highly influential quasi-governmental position.
JANET YELLEN

98. This comic book artist said that two of the inspirations for his most famous character were Douglas Fairbanks’s portrayal of Zorro and Leonardo da Vinci’s sketch of a helicopter.
BOB KANE

99. In his influential essay “Two Concepts of Liberty,” this Latvian-born British philosopher defined negative liberty as absence of coercion and positive liberty as self-mastery and the ability to choose one’s leaders.

100. The first president of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, this onetime garment cutter went on to co-found both the CIO and the American Labor party.
SIDNEY HILLMAN

101. This astronaut was the first Jewish American in space, although she is better remembered today for the tragic failure of her second mission.
JUDITH RESNIK

102. This American tennis player was ranked Number One on eight separate occasions between 1998 and 2005. (She also achieved Number One ranking in doubles.)
LINDSAY DAVENPORT

103. This actress is best known for a 1995 film in which she played a Jane Austen heroine – sort of.
ALICIA SILVERSTONE

104. His western and crime novels have been brought to the screen by such directors as John Frankenheimer, Martin Ritt, Richard Fleischer, Barry Sonnenfeld, and Quentin Tarantino.
ELMORE LEONARD

105. Shortly after his term as governor of Massachusetts, he replaced John Foster Dulles in the Cabinet.

106. In the last five years, he has won twelve Grammy Awards in the categories of Best Rap Performance, Best Rap Song, Best Rap Album, and Best Music Video.
KENDRICK LAMAR

107. A 1941 meeting between this Nobel Prize-winning physicist and a Nobel Prize-winning German colleague became the basis for a Tony Award-winning play.
NIELS BOHR

108. This executive oversaw the development of the Ford Mustang, but it was his later work for another automotive company that led to his appearance on several lists of most admired Americans.
LEE IACOCCA

109. Nicknamed “the Brain,” this racketeer is generally considered the man behind a notorious 1919 scandal.
ARNOLD ROTHSTEIN

110. In his heyday, this amateur sleuth rivaled Hercule Poirot and Lord Peter Wimsey in popularity, though many shared Ogden Nash’s opinion that he needed “a kick in the pance.”
PHILO VANCE

111. A proponent of the idea that a woman should be able to wear the same outfit for an entire day, this fashion designer first achieved fame for creating an iconic – and I do not use the word ‘iconic’ lightly – hat.
ROY HALSTON

112. This officer drafted the Valkyrie Plan, but was sent to the Eastern Front – where he eventually committed suicide – before the attempt could be carried out.
FRIEDRICH OLBRICHT

113. Accused of taking part in the plot referenced in the preceding clue, this theologian was hanged at Flossenburg concentration camp just two weeks before its liberation.
DIETRICH BONHOEFFER

*114. DAN REEVES

115. This author wrote his classic allegory during a twelve-year imprisonment for offences against his country’s established church.
JOHN BUNYAN

116. Influenced by cubism and surrealism, this Italian sculptor is best known for his thin, elongated human figurines that some critics have compared to trees without foliage.

117. He received the Thalberg Award only twelve years after his feature film debut and seven years before winning the first of his two Oscars for Best Director.
STEVEN SPIELBERG

118. The “animalcules” described by this scientist included red blood cells and spermatozoa – which, he assured people, he discovered in the excess residue of marital relations and not through self-stimulation. (Glad we cleared that up.)
ANTOINE VAN LEEUWENHOEK

119. The overture to this French composer’s first operetta continues to be one of the most familiar works of the 19th century – especially the rousing dance that kicks off the finale.
JACQUES OFFENBACH

120. JOMO KENYATTA

MATCHES

79. EDNa Purviance + 15. William mORTON = ED NORTON (Trixie)

62. CLAUs von Bulow + 29. Roger DEAKINS = CLAUDE AKINS (Sheriff?)

59. DEANA Carter + 16. Francis HutCHESON = DEAN ACHESON (JFK)

3. TYCho Brahe + 93. Lynda rOBB = Ty Cobb (Peach)

20. BILBo Baggins + 71. Edward cAIRD = Bil Baird (Puppet)

88. KAYO Mullins + 21. Catherine PaRR = Kay Orr (Nebraska)

35. JANELle Monae + 114. Dan rEEVES = JANE LEEVES (Daphne)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
Yes
Ten Cents
DNA
Reagan
Eisenhower
Maguire
Kwan
Judas
Plato
Warren
Lulu
Daisy
Meg
Alfie
Dennis
Yankees
Idol
Nun
Barber
Pitcher
Throw
Protest
Bless
Tell
Tap
Cook
Poll
Arrested
Hooked
Dead
Montreal
Houston
Denver
Mississippi
Oklahoma
Afghanistan
Golf
Tennis
Football
Fashion
Baton
Guitar
Lemon
Pizza
Gothic
Mad
Friday Night
Sunday Morning
Self-Help
Enterprise

I assume the answers that have been matched are right. Also, since four answers with single question marks (#44, #1, #114 & #27) have been corrected, the other five must be right.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#71 Post by franktangredi » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Two definite answers are still incorrect. One would be correct if both numbers were changed.

Since I made a mistake in the clue, I'll just tell you that the answer I'm looking for for #19 is Buck Showalter. The other one with a question mark is right.

All the ones with alternate answers include the correct answer.

In one case, the person is correctly identified, but he's best known by only part of the name given here.

SSS was right that I usually wouldn't do two similar Tangredis in a row ... except when one is the exact reverse of the other.

Oh, and I made a mistake in the Associated Words list. It should have been 'Truman' rather than 'Eisenhower.' So switch that out for one of the used words. Sorry.
jarnon wrote:New consolidation…

Identify the 120 people in the clues below. Match them into 60 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Then, match each pair with one of the Associated Words. None of the names will be used twice.

Some of the names may be a little more obscure than usual. I hope this doesn't jam you up too much.

1. In a seminal 1559 work, this theologian wrote that “since the arrangement of all things is in the hand of God, since to him belongs the disposal of life and death, he arranges all things by his sovereign counsel, in such a way that individuals are born, who are doomed from the womb to certain death, and are to glorify him by their destruction….”
JOHN CALVIN

2. Her greatest stage triumphs included Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines, A Doll’s House, The Constant Wife, The Kingdom of God – the inaugural production of the theatre that bears her name – and The Corn Is Green.
ETHEL BARRYMORE

*3. TYCHO BRAHE

4. Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina proved to be the key states in his election to the Presidency – which had far-reaching consequences for all three states and the nation as a whole.
RUTHERFORD HAYES

PETRARCH

6. One of the pallbearers at the funeral of this boxer – ranked by Ring magazine as the greatest puncher of all time – was the man he defeated in his most legendary bout.
JOE LOUIS

*7. OPRAH WINFREY

8. DJMQ:
Invited by Balanchine to join the fledgling New York City Ballet in 1949, this Canadian ballerina remained one of its principal dancers for the next 24 years.
Another DJMQ appears at Question #83.)
MELISSA HAYDEN

9. One of this artist’s most famous works was a gold salt cellar currently insured for some $60,000,000.
BENVENUTO CELLINI

10. Since the Grammy awards for male and female Pop Solo Performance were combined into a single category in 2011, this male singer has won it twice.
ED SHEERAN

11. This military commander was on the losing side of the 1836 engagement for which he is now remembered, but the stirring letter he wrote ten days before his death is credited with contributing to that side’s ultimate victory.
SAM HOUSTON? WILLIAM TRAVIS?

12. LEVI COFFIN

13. This retail magnate – who opened his first successful store in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 1878 – would sometimes make anonymous visits to one of his stores, shoplift items, and then reward employees who caught him at it.
F.W. WOOLWORTH

14. After the sudden death of his wife, this comedian dedicated the next year of his life to completing her unfinished book about a serial killer.
PATTON OSWALT

*15. WILLIAM MORTON
*16. FRANCIS HUTCHESON

17. In 2003, this Canadian-born politician became her state’s first female governor.
JENNIFER GRANHOLM

18. She is a member of the National Women’s Hall of Fame, the Nebraska Hall of Fame, the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame, and the New York Writers Hall of Fame.
WILLA CATHER

19. He was the third of only three American League managers to be named Manager of the Year three times.
JIM LEYLAND?

*20. BILBO BAGGINS
*21. CATHERINE PARR

22. The leading heldentenor of his day, this German opera singer sang Wagnerian roles at the Met more than 500 times between 1926 and 1950.

23. Her excavations at Jericho made her one of the leading archaeologists of the mid-20th century.
KATHLEEN KENYON

24. The career of this notorious gold prospector provided the inspiration for Trey Parker’s Cannibal! The Musical.
ALFERD PACKER

25. In 1958, this British explorer commanded the expedition that made the first overland crossing of Antarctica.

26. This designer’s conspicuous absence of underwear at her 1992 OBE ceremony did not prevent her from being made a Dame fourteen years later. (Apparently, the Queen was not unamused.)
VIVIENNE WESTWOOD

SUSAN BROWNMILLER

*28. TARIQ AZIZ
*29. ROGER DEAKINS

30. A Catholic university on the West Coast is named for this canonized Jesuit who died at the age of 23 while ministering to victims of a plague in Rome.
ST. ALOYSIUS GONZAGA

31. This French physicist won the Nobel Prize after his hypothesis that all matter has wave properties was experimentally confirmed by two American physicists.
LOUIS DE BROGLIE

32. T.S. Eliot praised this author’s masterwork as “the first, the longest, and the best of modern English detective novels,” while both Dorothy L. Sayers and G.K. Chesterton cited it as the finest detective story ever written.
WILKIE COLLINS

33. This halfback for the Rock Island Independents is credited with scoring the first touchdown in NFL history.

34. Some years before this Union general lost – through his own blunder – one of his legs and most of his men at the Battle of Gettysburg, he had made legal history by becoming the first American acquitted of murder by pleading temporary insanity.

*35. JANELLE MONAE
36. MARK ZUCKERBERG

37. This stories that won this journalist a Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting also inspired a film for which the actor playing him received an Oscar nomination.
SYDNEY SCHANBERG

38. A prominent architect of Regency England, his notable buildings included Buckingham Palace and the Royal Pavilion at Brighton.

39. She was a minor figure in the Cleveland numbers rackets, but a major figure in a landmark Supreme Court case that resulted in the Fourth Amendment being applied at the state and local level.
DOLLREE MAPP

40. After serving seven terms in the House of Representative, this Massachusetts Democrat retired to form a lobbying firm – and to serve as president of a medical marijuana company.
BILL DELAHUNT

41. He made a name for himself in Hong Kong action films and Cantonse hip-hop – and a different sort of name for himself in scandals involving sexually explicit photos of himself with various women.

42. He played for an NHL team from 1935 to 1938 and coached the same team from 1955 to 1968, scoring a combined ten Stanley Cup victories in the process.
TOE BLAKE

43. The March of Dimes went into debt funding the work of this researcher – and it was worth it.
JONAS SALK

44. As a professor, he helped CCNY earn its reputation as the “proletarian Harvard;” as a thinker, his writings such as Reason and Nature led New York Times to call him "an almost legendary figure in American philosophy, education and the liberal tradition.”
MORRIS COHEN

45. This novelist built his reputation with satiric depictions of England after World War I, but is best remembered today for a dystopian novel …
ALDOUS HUXLEY

46. … the title of which is taken from a line spoken by this Shakespearean heroine.
MIRANDA

47. He and his longtime partner were the only team of Broadway lyricists to receive the Kennedy Center Honors.
ADOLPH GREEN?

48. In 1930, this young thug was shot in the head and subsequently turned into a useful martyr by the party of thugs to whom he belonged.
HORST WESSEL

49. The ideas of this child psychologist came into direct conflict with those of Anna Freud, eventually causing the British Psychoanalytical Society to split into three camps.

50. Allegations that this celebrity chef fostered a “culture of sexual harassment” in his New Orleans restaurants led to his stepping down as CEO – and being digitally edited out of an episode of Iron Chef Showdown.
MARIO BATALI? JOHN BESH?

51. A hidden copy of the teachings of the stoic philosopher Epictetus helped this U.S. naval officer survive more than seven years of captivity and torture at the Hanoi Hilton.
JAMES STOCKDALE

52. The offices of the brokerage firm that he and his brother Franklyn founded were destroyed in the San Francisco Earthquake, but the firm itself is still going strong. (You may resume your conversation now.)
E.F. HUTTON

53. After refusing to confirm John Tyler’s first four Supreme Court appointments, the Senate finally relented and approved this jurist, who served on the Court for the next 27 years.
ROGER TANEY? SAMUEL NELSON?

54. This Laker was NBA Rookie of the Year in 1959.
ELGIN BAYLOR

55. This English actress was best known on screen for playing the mother of two vicious criminals and the nanny of someone even worse.
BILLIE WHITELAW

56. ELMER RICE

57. As Bishop of Gloucester, he became the first Anglican cleric to denounce the slave trade; he was also an editor of the works of Shakespeare and a staunch defender and friend of Alexander Pope

58. In the early 19th century, Poet Laureate Robert Southey dubbed this Scottish civil engineer the ‘Colossus of Roads’ in honor of the many highways and bridges he designed.
JOHN McADAM? THOMAS TELFORD?

*59. DEANA CARTER

60. This genre painter was best known for his crowded, chaotic scenes of daily life – in fact, his name became a Dutch byword for a disorderly household.
JAN STEEN

61. She was the first woman to make a non-stop westward solo flight across the Atlantic.
AMELIA EARHART? BERYL MARKHAM?

*62. CLAUS VON BULOW

63. During his 31-year stint at the New York Times, this music critic used his considerable influence to champion the works of Jean Sibelius.

64. This social activist was once dubbed “the most hated woman in America,” but the activities for which she was so hated were not the motive for her grisly murder.
MADALYN MURRAY O'HAIR

65. She and her partner won Olympic gold with the aid of a French composer who had died 47 years earlier.
JAYNE TORVILL

66. SALMAN RUSHDIE

67. This Frankish queen – who may or may not have inspired a major figure in Wagnerian opera – was involved in many power struggles before she was executed at the age of 70 by being pulled apart by four horses.

68. This actress spent six seasons playing a guidance counselor at William McKinley High School.
JAYMA MAYS

69. According to Jewish folklore, she started arguing with her husband from Day One, with each of them intent on taking the top position during sex. It went downhill from there.
LILITH

70. Former medical director of the Puerto Rico Family Planning Association, she oversaw the successful clinical trials of the first oral contraceptive.

*71. EDWARD CAIRD

72. This American historian specialized in tracing the impact of technology and urbanization in such works as Technics and Civilization and The City in History.
LEWIS MUMFORD

73. She, Paul McCartney, and Justin Timberlake brought different songs with the same title to Number One on the Billboard pop chart.
PETULA CLARK

74. We may never know the real name of this criminal who was last seen on November 24, 1971.
D.B. COOPER

75. According to Thucydides, this Spartan general captured the city of Byzantium, but was later arrested for collusion with Persia, walled up in a temple, and starved to death.

76. This minister, photographer, and furniture maker helped spur the Colonial Revival style in architecture with his best-selling photographs of the New England landscape.

77. She was still a slave when her poem in praise of General George Washington brought her a personal invitation to visit him at his Massachusetts headquarters.
PHILLIS WHEATLEY

78. This driver made racing history with a victory in the 2008 Indy Japan 300.
DANICA PATRICK

*79. EDNA PURVIANCE

80. She was the first African American woman to serve as campaign manager for a major party presidential candidate.
DONNA BRAZILE

81. Name by Time as one of the 100 Most Influential People of the 20th Century, this advertising pioneer is responsible for such iconic figures as the Marlboro Man, Tony the Tiger, and the lonely Maytag repairman.
LEO BURNETT

82. He and his colleague Mike received the Nobel Prize for "for their discoveries concerning the regulation of cholesterol metabolism.”

83. DJMQ:
His work at the Henry Street Playhouse – which involved innovative use of lighting, slides, and electronic music – led to this choreographer becoming known as “the father of multimedia theatre.”
ALWIN NIKOLAIS

84. Though he brought clownery to his profession, he was not at all amused by how he and his career were portrayed in a 1998 film.
"PATCH" ADAMS

85. This pianist, bandleader and arranger was an important transitional figure in jazz, bringing Louis Armstrong to New York in the 1920s and helping Benny Goodman create the sound of swing in the 1930s.
FLETCHER HENDERSON

86. This scholar and clergyman was the leading figure of the Carolingian Renaissance.
ALCUIN

*87. GLENDA HATCHETT
*88. KAYO MULLINS

89. This poet is best known for writing satiric epigrams during the reigns of Domitian and Trajan.

90. He pitched the twentieth perfect game in MLB history and was one of only six pitchers to receive the Cy Young Award in both leagues.
ROY HALLADAY

91. After 26 years at Goldman Sachs, he left the private sector to serve as Alexander Hamilton’s 69th successor.
STEVEN MNUCHIN

92. Although he died in 1994, the voice of this actor can still be heard during the opening of the television series he starred in for nearly thirty years.
MACDONALD CAREY

*93. LYNDA ROBB

94. This African American inventor is best known for developing a way to send telegraph messages between train stations and moving trains.
GRANVILLE WOODS

95. This musician and songwriter has had a love-hate relationship with the group that made him famous: he once punched a hole in a wall during a dispute with their manager, but has since reunited with surviving former bandmates and called their past collaboration “part of my youth that is always active in my thoughts.”
MIKE NESMITH

*96. ERIC SEVAREID

97. In 2014, this economist became the first woman to fill a highly influential quasi-governmental position.
JANET YELLEN

98. This comic book artist said that two of the inspirations for his most famous character were Douglas Fairbanks’s portrayal of Zorro and Leonardo da Vinci’s sketch of a helicopter.
BOB KANE

99. In his influential essay “Two Concepts of Liberty,” this Latvian-born British philosopher defined negative liberty as absence of coercion and positive liberty as self-mastery and the ability to choose one’s leaders.

100. The first president of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, this onetime garment cutter went on to co-found both the CIO and the American Labor party.
SIDNEY HILLMAN

101. This astronaut was the first Jewish American in space, although she is better remembered today for the tragic failure of her second mission.
JUDITH RESNIK

102. This American tennis player was ranked Number One on eight separate occasions between 1998 and 2005. (She also achieved Number One ranking in doubles.)
LINDSAY DAVENPORT

103. This actress is best known for a 1995 film in which she played a Jane Austen heroine – sort of.
ALICIA SILVERSTONE

104. His western and crime novels have been brought to the screen by such directors as John Frankenheimer, Martin Ritt, Richard Fleischer, Barry Sonnenfeld, and Quentin Tarantino.
ELMORE LEONARD

105. Shortly after his term as governor of Massachusetts, he replaced John Foster Dulles in the Cabinet.

106. In the last five years, he has won twelve Grammy Awards in the categories of Best Rap Performance, Best Rap Song, Best Rap Album, and Best Music Video.
KENDRICK LAMAR

107. A 1941 meeting between this Nobel Prize-winning physicist and a Nobel Prize-winning German colleague became the basis for a Tony Award-winning play.
NIELS BOHR

108. This executive oversaw the development of the Ford Mustang, but it was his later work for another automotive company that led to his appearance on several lists of most admired Americans.
LEE IACOCCA

109. Nicknamed “the Brain,” this racketeer is generally considered the man behind a notorious 1919 scandal.
ARNOLD ROTHSTEIN

110. In his heyday, this amateur sleuth rivaled Hercule Poirot and Lord Peter Wimsey in popularity, though many shared Ogden Nash’s opinion that he needed “a kick in the pance.”
PHILO VANCE

111. A proponent of the idea that a woman should be able to wear the same outfit for an entire day, this fashion designer first achieved fame for creating an iconic – and I do not use the word ‘iconic’ lightly – hat.
ROY HALSTON

112. This officer drafted the Valkyrie Plan, but was sent to the Eastern Front – where he eventually committed suicide – before the attempt could be carried out.
FRIEDRICH OLBRICHT

113. Accused of taking part in the plot referenced in the preceding clue, this theologian was hanged at Flossenburg concentration camp just two weeks before its liberation.
DIETRICH BONHOEFFER

*114. DAN REEVES

115. This author wrote his classic allegory during a twelve-year imprisonment for offences against his country’s established church.
JOHN BUNYAN

116. Influenced by cubism and surrealism, this Italian sculptor is best known for his thin, elongated human figurines that some critics have compared to trees without foliage.

117. He received the Thalberg Award only twelve years after his feature film debut and seven years before winning the first of his two Oscars for Best Director.
STEVEN SPIELBERG

118. The “animalcules” described by this scientist included red blood cells and spermatozoa – which, he assured people, he discovered in the excess residue of marital relations and not through self-stimulation. (Glad we cleared that up.)
ANTOINE VAN LEEUWENHOEK

119. The overture to this French composer’s first operetta continues to be one of the most familiar works of the 19th century – especially the rousing dance that kicks off the finale.
JACQUES OFFENBACH

120. JOMO KENYATTA

MATCHES

79. EDNa Purviance + 15. William mORTON = ED NORTON (Trixie)

62. CLAUs von Bulow + 29. Roger DEAKINS = CLAUDE AKINS (Sheriff?)

59. DEANA Carter + 16. Francis HutCHESON = DEAN ACHESON (JFK)

3. TYCho Brahe + 93. Lynda rOBB = Ty Cobb (Peach)

20. BILBo Baggins + 71. Edward cAIRD = Bil Baird (Puppet)

88. KAYO Mullins + 21. Catherine PaRR = Kay Orr (Nebraska)

35. JANELle Monae + 114. Dan rEEVES = JANE LEEVES (Daphne)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
Yes
Ten Cents
DNA
Reagan
Eisenhower
Maguire
Kwan
Judas
Plato
Warren
Lulu
Daisy
Meg
Alfie
Dennis
Yankees
Idol
Nun
Barber
Pitcher
Throw
Protest
Bless
Tell
Tap
Cook
Poll
Arrested
Hooked
Dead
Montreal
Houston
Denver
Mississippi
Oklahoma
Afghanistan
Golf
Tennis
Football
Fashion
Baton
Guitar
Lemon
Pizza
Gothic
Mad
Friday Night
Sunday Morning
Self-Help
Enterprise

I assume the answers that have been matched are right. Also, since four answers with single question marks (#44, #1, #114 & #27) have been corrected, the other five must be right.

A Non E. Muss

#72 Post by A Non E. Muss » Sat May 26, 2018 3:14 am

68. JAYMa Mays + 107. Niels BOHR = Jay Mohr (Maguire)

66. SALMAn Rushdie + 31. Louis De BroGLIE = Sal Maglie (Barber, although it could also be Pitcher or Yankees as well)

BTW, what does DJMQ mean?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#73 Post by Estonut » Sat May 26, 2018 4:00 am

A Non E. Muss wrote:68. JAYMa Mays + 107. Niels BOHR = Jay Mohr (Maguire)

66. SALMAn Rushdie + 31. Louis De BroGLIE = Sal Maglie (Barber, although it could also be Pitcher or Yankees as well)

These are dance-related questions that are typically too obscure for most of us.

DJMQ = Designated Judy Murphy Question.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#74 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:41 am

Estonut wrote:
A Non E. Muss wrote:68. JAYMa Mays + 107. Niels BOHR = Jay Mohr (Maguire)

These are dance-related questions that are typically too obscure for most of us.

DJMQ = Designated Judy Murphy Question.

Ha! I only recently (When lyrics games became common) began paying a lot of attention to Frank's games... but I always assumed it stood for Don't Judge Me Questions because..... well, knowing about dancing.

lb13

mellytu74

#75 Post by mellytu74 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am

120. JOMo Kenyatta + 5. PetrARCH = JO MARCH, sister of Meg

I could be completely wrong about this BUT, the reference to previous Frank games came back to me when I saw "Ten Cents" I thought of the Richard Rodgers game.

We could be looking for "tting" to give us 4. RUTHErford Hayes and chanteuse Ruth Etting, one of whose big numbers was Ten Cents a Dance.