Progressive lenses whine

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Progressive lenses whine

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon May 21, 2018 4:11 pm

OMG ya'll.

These things suck so hard.

I am now, for the first time in 50 years, not nearsighted. The lenses are supposed to:

do very little for distance, as I am OK there. So the top half of the lens is just a slight correction for distance.

fix the not-nearsightedness for reading. This part sucks, as I cannot read anywhere near as fast as I used to because you have to move your whole freaking head instead of just your eyes.

and I guess do something for computer-distance, but I don't know what, as this part sucks also. I am moving toward and away from the screen, and bumping up the point sizes, and what was the point of removing the lenses with cataracts if all this is going to happen?

They have a drawing at the optometrist of the lens, with distance at the top and middle in the middle and short-range in the middle bottom, and then there are these useless bits out to the side that what are the fucking point of them?

I want to yell at all of them, "I READ FOR A LIVING! MAKE THIS BETTER."

It's been all of three days so I know the brain needs longer to adjust, but I am ready for your stories of cheer and positivity to get through this. I don't understand why not have readers for reading and another pair for the computer and nothing for distance?
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

Re: Progressive lenses whine

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 21, 2018 4:19 pm

I've had mine for years and love them.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 pm

I just got some progressive lens sunglasses. I only need them to read the dashboard stuff and my GPS. Distance is fine so I've been buying the Sam's Club sunglasses with readers for about $10 a pair. They work O.K. but the lens are plastic and the optics suck as everything has a slight blur (clear without glasses so its not my eyesight).

My doctor said my distance vision is slightly off but I can still pass the driver's test without correction (about 15/20). But I have a slight astigmatism in one eye. My new glasses are anti-glare, polarized, and 3 levels of progressive. When I first put them on I felt like I was going to fall over. I'm getting used to them but yes, I understand about moving the head as when I look to the side everything is very blurred or distorted. I'm not sure if I really see any better in the distance with them on or not. I wish I had just paid to have only the reading portion done with no correction for the astigmatism and distance.

But at $350, I'll keep them a while.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Oh, and I paid $76 for them to darken in the sun, but didn't think about them not being anywhere near as good as the Ray-Bans I got right after surgery. And they try to explain all this stuff about how they will darken somewhat in the car, but I'm in a WTF place about that, too. Just go dark. Why is there a middle dark?
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Ever since I went from reading glasses in my early 40s to full-time glasses a few years later, I've been wearing progressives. I'd heard the stories about how adjusting to them could be difficult, but I never noticed any real problem. I just got my most recent pair about a week ago and I'm still adjusting to the new prescription, but I can readily perceive the difference. If nothing else, my eyes are no longer burning by the end of the day.

I hope that you complete the adjustment process soon and that you find that using your glasses has become second nature to you. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm wondering about progressive contacts - might be easier for reading.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Yes! Yes! They suck. Had them for a couple of years and reverted back to just my readers. However, I need some for farther stuff and medium, so when I get rechecked gonna see if that can be done, and use readers for reading. I hate progressives.

With that, good luck. Bobbing up and down...
Well, then

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 21, 2018 6:33 pm

tlynn78 wrote:I'm wondering about progressive contacts - might be easier for reading.
They have progressive implants now; even better.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:I'm wondering about progressive contacts - might be easier for reading.
They have progressive implants now; even better.
I heard about those. Crystal Something. Five grand a pop.
--------

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Tue May 22, 2018 4:35 pm

I adjusted to progressive lens with no trouble at all. I tried the ones that automatically darken in the sun. Didn't work for me because with tinted car windows now, the glasses do not know I'm in the sun and don't darken. I now have prescription sunglasses as well as regular glasses. I have always been farsighted, which may be the difference in the progressive lens adjustment being quite easy for me.

The progressive lens are quite expensive. I can easily add up $500 + for the frames and lens. Twice that if I get sunglasses too!

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Today was the tiniest bit better; I was able to work on the computer for a few hours without issues.

I just gave up and used the Ray-Bans for driving.
--------

mellytu74

#12 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 pm

BackInTex wrote: My new glasses are anti-glare, polarized, and 3 levels of progressive. When I first put them on I felt like I was going to fall over. I'm getting used to them but yes, I understand about moving the head as when I look to the side everything is very blurred or distorted.
Boonie had the same sensation when he got his new glasses. Especially moving the eyes to get used to looking to the side. Drove him NUTS.

He says you'll get used to it. He was even able to get his bowling game up to speed (and his average back to normal).

Now, he has blended trifocals. You can't see where the three levels end/begin. He doesn't bowl anymore though.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#13 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 am

Sorry to see you having to deal with such an uncomfortable and irritating issue. I hope it is only temporary..extremely temporary, and that soon you'll be totally adjusted to it..
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#14 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 am

I was able to read a book chapter last night without too much aggravation.

It's still irritating -- in a 'why is this the way it is?' way -- but the book I was reading is on meditation and Buddhism and letting go of expectations, so that may be helping, also.
--------