NFL Proposes Kickoff Rules Changes

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

NFL Proposes Kickoff Rules Changes

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 23, 2018 7:56 am

The idea is to decrease injuries.

-- The kicking team must have five players on each side of the ball, so no more stacking for an onside kick.

-- The kicking team must line up within one yard of the kicking line, so no more running starts

-- At least eight defensive players must be within 15 yards of the restraining line (10 yards from the kickoff line). For kicks from the 35, this means their own 40 yard line.

-- No more wedge blocks (2-man blocks used to be legal)

-- Players on the receiving team can't cross the restraining line or initiate a block within 15 yards of the restraining line until the ball is touched or hits the ground

-- A ball that bounces in the end zone is automatically a touchback (can't be returned or "touched down"). That's the same rule as in college.

-- Two players on the kicking team must be outside the numbers, and two more players must be between the hashmarks and the numbers, so only two players besides the kicker can be inside the hashmarks (makes onside kicks up the middle less likely).

These are one-year rules to be reviewed next offseason by the owners.

Also, all ejections will be automatically reviewed to ensure that the violation warranted ejection.

75% of the owners must approve these rules.

I have a feeling that some teams will figure out blocking and return schemes much more quickly than others, leading to some long returns next season.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: NFL Proposes Kickoff Rules Changes

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 am

silverscreenselect wrote:-- Two players on the kicking team must be outside the numbers, and two more players must be between the hashmarks and the numbers, so only two players besides the kicker can be inside the hashmarks (makes onside kicks up the middle less likely).
As framed, this doesn't quite make sense. The only way I can make the numbers add up is if you're saying that two players on the kicking team must be outside the numbers on each side of the ball, and two more on each side of the ball must be between the hash marks and the numbers, leaving room for two (total) in addition to the kicker who can be between the hash marks. That seems too spread out, though. Would you mind clarifying and/or correcting? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Two players on the kicking team must be between the numbers and the sideline on each side of the field (where the circled players are now), for a total of four players. Two more players on the kicking team must be between the numbers and the hashmarks (where the official on the far left is), for a total of four more players and a grand total of eight. That leaves only three players, including the kicker, in the center of the field (where the Seahawks logo is). This spreads the kicking team players out over a wider area.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 23, 2018 12:33 pm

This formation is now illegal for three reasons. First, there are six players on the kicker's right. Second, there are more than two players between the yard marker and the sideline. Third, the kicking players could line up no further back than the 34 yard line before this or any kickoff.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Spoiler
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

SpacemanSpiff

#6 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm

The older I get, the more I think Joe Paterno was right -- go back to leather helmets (and similar-era protections). Players would stop acting like they are invulnerable missiles, and injuries would go down.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:11 am

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:-- Two players on the kicking team must be outside the numbers, and two more players must be between the hashmarks and the numbers, so only two players besides the kicker can be inside the hashmarks (makes onside kicks up the middle less likely).
As framed, this doesn't quite make sense. The only way I can make the numbers add up is if you're saying that two players on the kicking team must be outside the numbers on each side of the ball, and two more on each side of the ball must be between the hash marks and the numbers, leaving room for two (total) in addition to the kicker who can be between the hash marks. That seems too spread out, though. Would you mind clarifying and/or correcting? --Bob
It seems pretty clear to me.

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:17 am

I am presuming that the requirement for the kicking team to line up within one yard of the line does not mean the kicker as well, or you likely will see some leg strains for kickers.

(I guess that I could just look at the rule.)

Edit: does not include kicker.

I found a story with a video showing the changes for those that had trouble following the written version.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... ean-eagles

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 am

Appa23 wrote: It seems pretty clear to me.
It was, for someone that is familiar with football, can do simple math, and has some common sense.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

SpacemanSpiff

#10 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 am

Appa23 wrote:I am presuming that the requirement for the kicking team to line up within one yard of the line does not mean the kicker as well, or you likely will see some leg strains for kickers.

(I guess that I could just look at the rule.)

Edit: does not include kicker.

I found a story with a video showing the changes for those that had trouble following the written version.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... ean-eagles
Some programmer at EA Sports is going to have fun updating Madden '18.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
It seems pretty clear to me.
My problem was that in some parts of his sentence he referred to the number of players on one side of the ball while in other parts of the same sentence he referred to the total number of players on both sides of the ball. Adding the words “on each side” as appropriate would have prevented my problem. But in any event he clarified when I asked. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SpacemanSpiff

#12 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 am

I am glad referee Jeff Triplette retired. I'd hate to think of how he'd bungle this up.