Barring the people from the people's business

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Barring the people from the people's business

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:42 am

A reporter was physically shoved out of the building when she attempted to attend an EPA summit on national water contaminants. I'm wondering how the people of Flint, MI, feel about that. I know how I feel. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

Re: Barring the people from the people's business

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 am

Bob78164 wrote:A reporter was physically shoved out of the building when she attempted to attend an EPA summit on national water contaminants. I'm wondering how the people of Flint, MI, feel about that. I know how I feel. --Bob
Representatives of states, tribes, the chemical industry, environmental groups and others are attending the session.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:09 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:A reporter was physically shoved out of the building when she attempted to attend an EPA summit on national water contaminants. I'm wondering how the people of Flint, MI, feel about that. I know how I feel. --Bob
Representatives of states, tribes, the chemical industry, environmental groups and others are attending the session.
But not, apparently, the free press. I wonder just what the people's representatives are talking about behind closed doors. But I shouldn't have to wonder. The people's business should be conducted in the light of day. What is Scott Pruitt afraid we'll hear? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
But not, apparently, the free press. I wonder just what the people's representatives are talking about behind closed doors. But I shouldn't have to wonder. The people's business should be conducted in the light of day. What is Scott Pruitt afraid we'll hear? --Bob
Seems like there's all sides there. I'm sure the attendees will let the press know what was discussed.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Seems like there's all sides there. I'm sure the attendees will let the press know what was discussed.
How do you know that all sides are represented? Why isn't the press being permitted to attend? What's being said that Pruitt doesn't want out there? --Bob

elwoodblues

#6 Post by elwoodblues » Tue May 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I thought you believed in the Constitution. Is that part about freedom of the press an exception?

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:10 pm

elwoodblues wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:But not, apparently, the free press. I wonder just what the people's representatives are talking about behind closed doors. But I shouldn't have to wonder. The people's business should be conducted in the light of day. What is Scott Pruitt afraid we'll hear? --Bob
I thought you believed in the Constitution. Is that part about freedom of the press an exception?
To mostly bob-tel:

Is the press allowed in every meeting at every time? You ever heard of a closed-door meeting? Where people can say what they really mean without the press taking it out of context? Where it will not turn into a sound-bite festival, or a grandstand show?
There are apparently representatives at the meeting from all sides of the issues being discussed, (bob-tel: see the above quote from the article you posted, but once again, you probably didn't even read it. The article, past the headline or my post) and I'm sure the press can interview all of them to get their stories. You are getting more and more hysterical every day.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Slate is reporting that the EPA opened up the second part of the summit to the press.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:18 pm

earendel wrote:Slate is reporting that the EPA opened up the second part of the summit to the press.
Don't say that! We need another Constitutional Crisis so bob-tel can get democrats elected.

<added> Correction, it was elwood who brought the Constitution into this discussion. bob-tel has the rights to the Emoluments Clause.
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Tue May 22, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Tue May 22, 2018 2:19 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Is the press allowed in every meeting at every time? You ever heard of a closed-door meeting? Where people can say what they really mean without the press taking it out of context? Where it will not turn into a sound-bite festival, or a grandstand show?
If it was a closed-door meeting and someone from the press attempted to enter, then there wouldn't be an issue. I don't think this was such a meeting.
flockofseagulls104 wrote:There are apparently representatives at the meeting from all sides of the issues being discussed, (bob-tel: see the above quote from the article you posted, but once again, you probably didn't even read it. The article, past the headline or my post) and I'm sure the press can interview all of them to get their stories. You are getting more and more hysterical every day.
It's one thing to interview attendees, it's quite another to get first-hand reportage. My guess is that given the recent spate of scandals involving Pruitt's office and Pruitt in particular, the reason for excluding the press was to avoid any embarrassing questions.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:21 pm

earendel wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Is the press allowed in every meeting at every time? You ever heard of a closed-door meeting? Where people can say what they really mean without the press taking it out of context? Where it will not turn into a sound-bite festival, or a grandstand show?
If it was a closed-door meeting and someone from the press attempted to enter, then there wouldn't be an issue. I don't think this was such a meeting.
flockofseagulls104 wrote:There are apparently representatives at the meeting from all sides of the issues being discussed, (bob-tel: see the above quote from the article you posted, but once again, you probably didn't even read it. The article, past the headline or my post) and I'm sure the press can interview all of them to get their stories. You are getting more and more hysterical every day.
It's one thing to interview attendees, it's quite another to get first-hand reportage. My guess is that given the recent spate of scandals involving Pruitt's office and Pruitt in particular, the reason for excluding the press was to avoid any embarrassing questions.
My guess is that Pruitt wanted an honest, frank discussion without grandstanding and childish protests. That's what I would do. But that's just me.

mellytu74

#12 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:22 pm

elwoodblues wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Seems like there's all sides there. I'm sure the attendees will let the press know what was discussed.
To mostly bob-tel:

Is the press allowed in every meeting at every time? You ever heard of a closed-door meeting? Where people can say what they really mean without the press taking it out of context? Where it will not turn into a sound-bite festival, or a grandstand show?
There are apparently representatives at the meeting from all sides of the issues being discussed, (bob-tel: see the above quote from the article you posted, but once again, you probably didn't even read it. The article, past the headline or my post) and I'm sure the press can interview all of them to get their stories. You are getting more and more hysterical every day.
A co-worker just spoke to the E&E reporter (on a completely different and unrelated matter).

The second half of the meeting was open to the press.

It's a First Amendment violation.

I do wonder if someone other than Bob Numbers had presented the opening post, you would have been so ready to flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet?

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote: I thought you believed in the Constitution. Is that part about freedom of the press an exception?
To mostly bob-tel:

A co-worker just spoke to the E&E reporter (on a completely different and unrelated matter).

The second half of the meeting was open to the press.

It's a First Amendment violation.

I do wonder if someone other than Bob Numbers had presented the opening post, you would have been so ready to flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet?
That's me. Just put me in the 'Flush the First Amendment Down the Toilet' basket, right next to the Basket of Deplorables. That's what I'm all about!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:12 pm

For those who have never attended or taken minutes or posted agendas for gummint meetings, which means I have...TOMA anyone? and there are jerks who do walking quorums.......

Do we know if this was a closed session? Can you answer that?
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Which also means this isn't some automatic first amendment violation.
Well, then

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#16 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Beebs52 wrote:For those who have never attended or taken minutes or posted agendas for gummint meetings, which means I have...TOMA anyone? and there are jerks who do walking quorums.......

According to a report that I read, the meeting was (or still is) being live-streamed.

Man, oh man, this guy Pruitt is terrible at keeping secrets!
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:33 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:For those who have never attended or taken minutes or posted agendas for gummint meetings, which means I have...TOMA anyone? and there are jerks who do walking quorums.......

According to a report that I read, the meeting was (or still is) being live-streamed.

Man, oh man, this guy Pruitt is terrible at keeping secrets!
Now that's funny right dere.
Well, then

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 22, 2018 3:36 pm

elwoodblues wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:But not, apparently, the free press. I wonder just what the people's representatives are talking about behind closed doors. But I shouldn't have to wonder. The people's business should be conducted in the light of day. What is Scott Pruitt afraid we'll hear? --Bob
That's not how it works. "Freedom of the press" is not about complete and free access to all things.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#19 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Apparently, a segment of the morning meeting WAS closed door. After that, no.

AND there was nothing on the agenda to indicate that, after that point, it was a closed meeting. The open/closed notices are supposed to be on the websites.

Supposedly, there was "no room" for reporters in the room -- which is why the three reporters were thrown out. And WHY those three? I know the burr up the rear that the WH has about CNN but E&E?

However, there were already reporters in the room at that point, who said there were about 10 vacant seats. And the EPA had allowed those reporters in. Obviously.

As Sliver points out, there was a live stream of the event -- whether that was in a specific media room or not, I can't tell you. That's not uncommon to have an overflow room. And I doubt that the "closed door" part of the meeting would have been live streamed anyway.

That is directly from someone who was there (one of the reporters involved but not the AP one).

Soapbox - The AP was one of the entities involved. Any number of small newspapers in America get their news stories from AP bureaus -- physically throwing an AP reporter out of the room (and she was the only one physically thrown out) isn't a good optic. - Off Soapbox.

That's all I got.

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Not the first time something like this occurred
The White House attempted to block Fox News from a round of interviews with “pay czar” Kenneth Feinberg Thursday, but the Washington bureau chiefs of the five TV networks included in the White House pool refused to interview Feinberg unless Fox News was included
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:49 pm

mellytu74 wrote:

Apparently, a segment of the morning meeting WAS closed door. After that, no.

AND there was nothing on the agenda to indicate that, after that point, it was a closed meeting. The open/closed notices are supposed to be on the websites.

Supposedly, there was "no room" for reporters in the room -- which is why the three reporters were thrown out. And WHY those three? I know the burr up the rear that the WH has about CNN but E&E?

However, there were already reporters in the room at that point, who said there were about 10 vacant seats. And the EPA had allowed those reporters in. Obviously.

As Sliver points out, there was a live stream of the event -- whether that was in a specific media room or not, I can't tell you. That's not uncommon to have an overflow room. And I doubt that the "closed door" part of the meeting would have been live streamed anyway.

That is directly from someone who was there (one of the reporters involved but not the AP one).

Soapbox - The AP was one of the entities involved. Any number of small newspapers in America get their news stories from AP bureaus -- physically throwing an AP reporter out of the room (and she was the only one physically thrown out) isn't a good optic. - Off Soapbox.

That's all I got.
Oh. Sigh. I haven't vetted reporters involved, and, actually, if it was livestreamed it's available to anyone. Unless we have a technology insistence now...
Come on.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 22, 2018 4:38 pm

BackInTex wrote:Not the first time something like this occurred
The White House attempted to block Fox News from a round of interviews with “pay czar” Kenneth Feinberg Thursday, but the Washington bureau chiefs of the five TV networks included in the White House pool refused to interview Feinberg unless Fox News was included
That article says there was no attempt to block Fox News. Nothing occurred.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 22, 2018 4:39 pm

elwoodblues wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Seems like there's all sides there. I'm sure the attendees will let the press know what was discussed.
To mostly bob-tel:

Horseshit. If Obama had tried that I'd be able to hear you whining from here.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

geoffil

#24 Post by geoffil » Tue May 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Not only the people of Flint are concerned, so are the 40 Dallas suburbs that have serious water problems. Erin Brokovich came to speak to the residents of Frisco because the chlorine in the water exceeds Federal standards (double what a pool has) and has many violations. They refused to provide all the testing data and insist "nothing to see here". The TCH levels went above the Federal standards due to the chlorine burn. I wonder if it will turn into Flint. Now they have the algae bloom which causes water to turn brown, but again nothing to see here.

flockofseagulls104

#25 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
elwoodblues wrote: I thought you believed in the Constitution. Is that part about freedom of the press an exception?
To mostly bob-tel:

Horseshit. If Obama had tried that I'd be able to hear you whining from here.
Right. I always did that. Or is that your straw man? I forget.

Go run along, housefly.