You Might Want to Hold Off on Nobel Peace Prize

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: You Might Want to Hold Off on Nobel Peace Prize

#26 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 am

BackInTex wrote: The Mexican drug cartels have no nuclear capabilities either, so that makes Mexico a safer place.

Neither did Omar Mateen. He had no nuclear capability.
So, how did the drug cartels or Omar Mateen get in a discussion of international diplomatic policy?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#27 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 25, 2018 9:25 am

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: I prefer his type of diplomacy to that of sending billions of dollars in cash to a rogue regime in return for nothing. .
In the case of Iran, nothing was the goal. As in, the Iranians would do nothing to further their nuclear capabilities, and that worked out rather well until Trump stepped in.
The Mexican drug cartels have no nuclear capabilities either, so that makes Mexico a safer place.

So I guess we can all sleep well now.

Goodnight.
Trump is making changes in American foreign policy.

Instead of sending billions to foreign countries so they won't nuke us, now foreign countries send millions to Trump companies so he can help them.

Got it.

flockofseagulls104

#28 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Why the hell aren't you the supreme leader of the universe by now since you claim to know everything about everything?
I am not the expert on these matters. I do, unlike many on the right, including the President, listen to what the actual experts do have to say about these matters. And the reason I mention Fox a lot is because the President seems to use them as a reference quite a lot (as do a lot of other right wingers).

Yes, and we all know that Fox news ONLY reports lies and damned lies. They get nothing right and are nothing but propaganda from the right. Their 'experts' are all actors, well paid to recite words written for them by the Koch Brothers. And it's our duty to trash the entire network, marginalize anything they report on that doesn't agree with our view of things, and try and make sure anyone who does watch them is branded as a dumb 'trump lover'.

C'mon, get real. I'm not going to go with that shit anymore. Fox news is as valid a news organization as any that are out there. The difference is that they give weight to the conservative viewpoint, where most of the other news outlets view conservatives as the 'others'. And their opinion shows are headed by conservatives, not liberals. Name one MSM political talk or interview show hosted by someone who is not a liberal democrat. I can't think of any. So when you try to deflect with 'Faux' News, I will not go for it anymore. Get a real argument.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#29 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:31 am

BackInTex wrote:
In the case of Iran, nothing was the goal. As in, the Iranians would do nothing to further their nuclear capabilities, and that worked out rather well until Trump stepped in.
The Mexican drug cartels have no nuclear capabilities either, so that makes Mexico a safer place.

So I guess we can all sleep well now.

Goodnight.
Trump is making changes in American foreign policy.

Instead of sending billions to foreign countries so they won't nuke us, now foreign countries send millions to Trump companies so he can help them.

Got it.
More sloganeering. No proof, but it sounds good. Got it.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#30 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Yes, and we all know that Fox news ONLY reports lies and damned lies. They get nothing right and are nothing but propaganda from the right. Their 'experts' are all actors, well paid to recite words written for them by the Koch Brothers. And it's our duty to trash the entire network, marginalize anything they report on that doesn't agree with our view of things, and try and make sure anyone who does watch them is branded as a dumb 'trump lover'.
I thought you had finally gotten it right. :(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#31 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:40 am

Bob Juch wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Yes, and we all know that Fox news ONLY reports lies and damned lies. They get nothing right and are nothing but propaganda from the right. Their 'experts' are all actors, well paid to recite words written for them by the Koch Brothers. And it's our duty to trash the entire network, marginalize anything they report on that doesn't agree with our view of things, and try and make sure anyone who does watch them is branded as a dumb 'trump lover'.
I thought you had finally gotten it right. :(
Housefly.

jarnon

#32 Post by jarnon » Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am

Moon is determined to keep the peace process alive.

Leaders of North and South Korea Hold Surprise Second Summit

If there is a Trump-Kim summit, expectations have been lowered. The best we can hope for is the start of diplomacy that will lead to, as Trump put it, North Korea joining the real world.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#33 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Don't want this thread to get lost. We might need it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#34 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:40 pm

I can't believe I'm in this thread, but are we saying that Fox News is not part of the mainstream media?

What does "mainstream" mean, then?

Basic cable Nielsen ratings for 2017 (news channels bolded)

1. Fox News Channel 2.46M
2. ESPN 2.06M
3. MSNBC 1.66M
4. USA Network 1.62M
5. HGTV 1.51M
6. TBS 1.45M
7. Nickelodeon 1.36M
8. Discovery 1.32M
9. History 1.31M
10. TNT 1.28M
11. Hallmark Channel 1.22M
12. Investigation Discovery 1.10M
13. CNN 1.07M
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#35 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 pm

I thought "mainstream media" meant traditional things like TV, radio and newspapers, rather than internet sources.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#36 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I can't believe I'm in this thread, but are we saying that Fox News is not part of the mainstream media?

What does "mainstream" mean, then?

Basic cable Nielsen ratings for 2017 (news channels bolded)

1. Fox News Channel 2.46M
2. ESPN 2.06M
3. MSNBC 1.66M
4. USA Network 1.62M
5. HGTV 1.51M
6. TBS 1.45M
7. Nickelodeon 1.36M
8. Discovery 1.32M
9. History 1.31M
10. TNT 1.28M
11. Hallmark Channel 1.22M
12. Investigation Discovery 1.10M
13. CNN 1.07M
I think it should mean some fidelity to journalistic standards like accuracy. Fox News flunks that test far too often -- the most recent example I can easily think of is using a picture of Philadelphia Eagles praying to illustrate players kneeling during the national anthem to make a political point, when in fact none of the Eagles' players actually did so. That's probably why a survey a while ago discovered that people who watch Fox News are less well informed about the world than are people who watch no news at all.

Shepard Smith seems to care about accuracy. Not so sure about the rest of the Fox News cast. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#37 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:Don't want this thread to get lost. We might need it.
Whatever comes from this meeting, it's certainly historic. And if it's successful, the left can be sure Trump will continue to provide sound bites they can clutch their pearls over, and failing that, they can overcome their disappointment over a successful Singapore meeting by joining Bill Maher in hoping for a recession!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#38 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Bob78164 wrote: Shepard Smith seems to care about accuracy. Not so sure about the rest of the Fox News cast. --Bob
Dan Rather? fail
Brian Williams? fail

All networks have their embarrassments.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#39 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:40 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote: Shepard Smith seems to care about accuracy. Not so sure about the rest of the Fox News cast. --Bob
Dan Rather? fail
Brian Williams? fail

False equivalence. All networks make mistakes. CBS and NBC demonstrably care about their mistakes. Can't think of any cast members at Fox News who have paid a professional price there for spouting the party line. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#40 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Dan Rather? fail
Brian Williams? fail

False equivalence. All networks make mistakes. CBS and NBC demonstrably care about their mistakes. Can't think of any cast members at Fox News who have paid a professional price there for spouting the party line. --Bob
You are hilarious. Truly.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#41 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Dan Rather? fail
Brian Williams? fail

There's a difference between "spouting the party line" and "making shit up". I will acknowledge that.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#42 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

BackInTex wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:False equivalence. All networks make mistakes. CBS and NBC demonstrably care about their mistakes. Can't think of any cast members at Fox News who have paid a professional price there for spouting the party line. --Bob
There's a difference between "spouting the party line" and "making shit up". I will acknowledge that.
And Fox News makes shit up, but as long as its consistent with the party line, none of its cast members pay a price for doing so. --Bob

BackInTex

#43 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
And Fox News makes shit up, but as long as its consistent with the party line, none of its cast members pay a price for doing so. --Bob
They spin stuff (like others do) but they don't make it up. You on the other hand....
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#44 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
They spin stuff (like others do) but they don't make it up. You on the other hand....
You mean like your claim (in the other thread, which I refuted with a link) that Donny's 41% approval rating is higher than President Obama's at this point in his term, when in fact President Obama's approval rating was nearly 6% higher than Donny's is?

The Eagles stuff was flat-out made up. And so is a lot of their other stuff. --Bob

tlynn78

#45 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:And Fox News makes shit up, but as long as its consistent with the party line, none of its cast members pay a price for doing so. --Bob
You mean like your claim (in the other thread, which I refuted with a link) that Donny's 41% approval rating is higher than President Obama's at this point in his term, when in fact President Obama's approval rating was nearly 6% higher than Donny's is?

The Eagles stuff was flat-out made up. And so is a lot of their other stuff. --Bob
Only a complete dumbass would think they don't ALL make crap up to fit the party narrative.

BackInTex

#46 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Bob78164 wrote:You mean like your claim (in the other thread, which I refuted with a link) that Donny's 41% approval rating is higher than President Obama's at this point in his term, when in fact President Obama's approval rating was nearly 6% higher than Donny's is?
No, I mean Trumps 47% beat Barry's 46% in a better poll.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#47 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:You mean like your claim (in the other thread, which I refuted with a link) that Donny's 41% approval rating is higher than President Obama's at this point in his term, when in fact President Obama's approval rating was nearly 6% higher than Donny's is?
No, I mean Trumps 47% beat Barry's 46% in a better poll.
That's funny. You've gotten pissed at me in the past for pointing out that you referred to President Obama disrespectfully, which much less cause than I have for my disrespect for Donny. --Bob

Ritterskoop

#48 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Flock said this earlier in the thread

"Name one MSM political talk or interview show hosted by someone who is not a liberal democrat. I can't think of any."

is what I was asking about the mainstream media definition. All it turned into is name-calling.

So, for reals, why is Fox News Channel not part of the mainstream media by any definition?

Thanks for helping me understand and not calling me names.
--------

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#49 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Flock said this earlier in the thread

"Name one MSM political talk or interview show hosted by someone who is not a liberal democrat. I can't think of any."

is what I was asking about the mainstream media definition. All it turned into is name-calling.

So, for reals, why is Fox News Channel not part of the mainstream media by any definition?

Thanks for helping me understand and not calling me names.
In my view, with too-rare exceptions, they don't adequately adhere to journalistic standards of accuracy. It's not so much their rate of inaccuracy (although I think it's unacceptably high) as that I've seen little or no evidence that they care about accuracy at a corporate level. That, to me, is disqualifying. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#50 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Bob78164 wrote:they don't adequately adhere to journalistic standards of accuracy.
Here's one case where they got it right: