You Might Want to Hold Off on Nobel Peace Prize

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: You Might Want to Hold Off on Nobel Peace Prize

#301 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 am

This is quoted from an article on the father of the little girl in the picture Time Magazine is using for their cover:

He revealed that his wife had previously mentioned her wish to go to the United States for a 'better future' but did not tell him nor any of their family members that she was planning to make the trek.

'I didn't support it. I asked her, why? Why would she want to put our little girl through that? But it was her decision at the end of the day.'

He said that Sandra had always wanted to experience 'the American dream' and hoped to find a good job in the States.

Denis, who works as a captain at a port on the coast of Puerto Cortes, explained that things back home were fine but not great, and that his wife was seeking political asylum.

He said that Sandra set out on the 1,800-mile journey with the baby girl on June 3, at 6am, and he has not heard from her since.

Yeah, just the kind of horrific life 'political asylum' is there for.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#302 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:49 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I still believe what was/is being done to the families (whatever percentage of them are authentic families) should never happen, but the left has gone hysterical with it, as usual.
It's neither hysterical nor irrational to hate someone who is choosing to do hateful things. It's an entirely appropriate response, and I won't apologize for it. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#303 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:14 am

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:I still believe what was/is being done to the families (whatever percentage of them are authentic families) should never happen, but the left has gone hysterical with it, as usual.
It's neither hysterical nor irrational to hate someone who is choosing to do hateful things. It's an entirely appropriate response, and I won't apologize for it. --Bob
Well then, I could hate you and all your hysterical comrades. You show and practice your hatred every day for all to see. But I try not to hate anyone, except terrorists who kill people just to kill people.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#304 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: But I try not to hate anyone.
No, it's just that the thought of these people being right clouds your judgment so much that you buy every ridiculous self-serving argument from Trump and his enablers.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#305 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: But I try not to hate anyone.
No, it's just that the thought of these people being right clouds your judgment so much that you buy every ridiculous self-serving argument from Trump and his enablers.
I wrote you a lengthy post a couple of weeks ago. Go back and read it and PLEASE put on your comprehension cap.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#306 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Anyone remember how Bill Clinton's Administration treated a child who was seeking asylum here named Elian Rodriguez?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#307 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Anyone remember how Bill Clinton's Administration treated a child who was seeking asylum here named Elian Rodriguez?
Yes. The Clinton Administration returned the child to his custodial parent. It did so over significant domestic political opposition based on nothing more than the fact that the child's custodial parent had chosen to remain in Cuba. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#308 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Anyone remember how Bill Clinton's Administration treated a child who was seeking asylum here named Elian Rodriguez?
Yes. The Clinton Administration returned the child to his custodial parent. It did so over significant domestic political opposition based on nothing more than the fact that the child's custodial parent had chosen to remain in Cuba. --Bob
Treated, bob-tel. Did you call out Clinton for ripping a child away from his parent? With guns? I think not.

jarnon

#309 Post by jarnon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Treated, bob-tel. Did you call out Clinton for ripping a child away from his parent? With guns? I think not.
They ripped the child (Elián Gonzáles) away from his father's uncle in order to hand him over to his father, his only living parent. Moreover, they waited until a judge decided that it was best for the child to live with his father. What else could they have done?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#310 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:59 pm

jarnon wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Yes. The Clinton Administration returned the child to his custodial parent. It did so over significant domestic political opposition based on nothing more than the fact that the child's custodial parent had chosen to remain in Cuba. --Bob
They ripped the child (Elián Gonzáles) away from his father's uncle in order to hand him over to his father, his only living parent. Moreover, they waited until a judge decided that it was best for the child to live with his father. What else could they have done?
A judge? Like the ones that said minors couldn’t be incarcerated with their parents? Or a different kind.?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#311 Post by jarnon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:00 pm

The two main strands of this thread, the Korea summit and uniting families, join together in this story:

North, South Korea to hold reunions for families long separated by war

A small concession (the reunions are shorter than the ones on Survivor) but important to the lucky families.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#312 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:51 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: You show and practice your hatred every day for all to see.
I'm sort of curious to know what your reaction is to Trump's antics in Nevada last night, referring to Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahantas" and Jacky Rosen as "Wacky Jacky." Is that better or worse than Bob##'s referring to Trump as Donny? And does Trump, as the President of the United States have any type of greater obligation towards civility than do Trump haters like Bob and me?

BackInTex

#313 Post by BackInTex » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:19 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: You show and practice your hatred every day for all to see.
I'm sort of curious to know what your reaction is to Trump's antics in Nevada last night, referring to Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahantas" and Jacky Rosen as "Wacky Jacky." Is that better or worse than Bob##'s referring to Trump as Donny? And does Trump, as the President of the United States have any type of greater obligation towards civility than do Trump haters like Bob and me?
So what you’re saying is you and Bob are like Trump? I do like your honesty.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#314 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:06 pm

I did not watch his speech.

As per his penchant for giving people nicknames, I think it's juvenile and petty, and not the way I'd like my President to act. But the thing is that he has not changed his personality and gone for a false, squeaky clean image like the professional politicians do. That, at least, is a bit refreshing. I just wish we had elected a President who could say what he means more eloquently and tactfully.

You like to portray trump as a liar. I will give you that. He is a serial liar. But he is not alone. Can you name even one of the politicians who sell themselves as a image, like Warren, who does not lie as much or more than he does? These people are not saints. They are not nobility. They are just people who for whatever reason want to have a position of power and prestige and mounted a campaign, created a public image and attracted enough voters and money to get themselves elected. Their election does not bestow upon them higher brain functions, or instill upon them a higher moral authority.

Warren lied about her ancestry to obtain a personal advantage. trump did not originate the nickname 'Pocohontas' but he uses it often to remind people of that. I am pretty certain that if she posted on this board, she would be a female version of bob-tel. Arrogant, self-righteous and self-serving. Based on the lambasting he gets for everything he says or does, I think Warren is getting off easy.

Bob Juch

#315 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 pm

I did not watch his speech.

As per his penchant for giving people nicknames, I think it's juvenile and petty, and not the way I'd like my President to act. But the thing is that he has not changed his personality and gone for a false, squeaky clean image like the professional politicians do. That, at least, is a bit refreshing. I just wish we had elected a President who could say what he means more eloquently and tactfully.

You like to portray trump as a liar. I will give you that. He is a serial liar. But he is not alone. Can you name even one of the politicians who sell themselves as a image, like Warren, who does not lie as much or more than he does? These people are not saints. They are not nobility. They are just people who for whatever reason want to have a position of power and prestige and mounted a campaign, created a public image and attracted enough voters and money to get themselves elected. Their election does not bestow upon them higher brain functions, or instill upon them a higher moral authority.

Warren lied about her ancestry to obtain a personal advantage. trump did not originate the nickname 'Pocohontas' but he uses it often to remind people of that. I am pretty certain that if she posted on this board, she would be a female version of bob-tel. Arrogant, self-righteous and self-serving. Based on the lambasting he gets for everything he says or does, I think Warren is getting off easy.
What proof do you have that Elizabeth Warren has lied about her ancestry?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#316 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:43 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: trump did not originate the nickname 'Pocohontas' but he uses it often to remind people of that.
That's a new one. Spreading ethnic slurs about someone is okay as long as you don't originate them.

silverscreenselect

#317 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Warren lied about her ancestry to obtain a personal advantage. trump did not originate the nickname 'Pocohontas' but he uses it often to remind people of that.
Here's what as neutral a source as you're going to find has to say about his (read the entire article for the complete discussion):
No proof has emerged that confirms that Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren is, as she has claimed, part Native American. Likewise, no proof has surfaced that Warren was previously hired as a professor by any university based on her alleged heritage.
Her claim to Indian heritage is based on anecodotal family history, which, of course, may or may not be accurate but is a source for what a lot of people claim about their own ancestry without commissioning a genealogical history to prove or disprove the matter.

As for the claim that she tried to use this heritage for employment advantage, here's what former Solicitor General under Ronald Reagan Charles Fried had to say about it in the same article:
Charles Fried, a former U.S. solicitor general under President Ronald Reagan, also vouched for Warren. Fried, a Harvard Law School professor who was on the appointments committee that recommended hiring Warren in 1995, told the Herald that Warren’s heritage never came up during the hiring process there. “It simply played no role in the appointments process. It was not mentioned and I didn’t mention it to the faculty,” he was quoted saying.

In a 2012 statement released through Harvard, Fried added: “Elizabeth Warren was recruited (she did not apply — one does not apply for these positions) to be a tenured professor at Harvard because she was preeminent in the fields of bankruptcy and commercial law, two fields in which we had strong teaching needs.”
So the Trump apologists and Warren haters are basing these slurs on the fact that she can't prove something of which accurate records are very probably non-existent that they can't disprove (and there is evidence that the Indian story has been going around in the Warren family for decades, as a family newsletter indicated), while Ronald Reagan's solicitor general denies that these claims had anything to do with her hiring. In other words, par for the course with these people.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/12/eliza ... ntroversy/

flockofseagulls104

#318 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Warren lied about her ancestry to obtain a personal advantage. trump did not originate the nickname 'Pocohontas' but he uses it often to remind people of that.
And you know what the answer is? It doesn't matter whether it's true or false. Because it's in the public domain now. We will NEVER know if it's true or false. Even if it is proven one way or another, there will always be people that are fixed to one side or another. Just like the daily revelations about trump. Just like "Hands up, Don't Shoot". It doesn't matter if they're true or false, just as long as they get into the public domain. Then people take their sides.

And that's beside the point.

trump uses 'Pocohontas' because it's in the public domain and it's a way to disparage someone who disparages him. Junior High School stuff. I'm surprised BJ isn't one of his fans, because they debate on the same level.

I truly don't care whether she lied about it to gain advantage or not. It's the policies that she advances that repulse me about her. And the same thing in reverse for trump. His personality and approach to campaigning repulse me about him, but on some of the more important policies, I agree with him.

Of course, in Warrens case, it is a double whammy. I can't stand her personality either.

silverscreenselect

#319 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:32 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: And you know what the answer is? It doesn't matter whether it's true or false. Because it's in the public domain now. We will NEVER know if it's true or false. Even if it is proven one way or another, there will always be people that are fixed to one side or another.
So, using thinly veiled racial slurs against a political opponent to spread unproven accusations is okay because it's in the public domain and because you don't happen to like that opponent's tactics. Got it.

Funny, I never heard Ronald Reagan or either of the Bushes resort to tactics like this. It's no wonder that Trump's approval rating among Republicans has gone up, because more and more people who are repulsed by these antics are leaving the Republican party and what's left are increasingly hard core deplorables or those for whom the end justifies the means.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#320 Post by Estonut » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:38 am

silverscreenselect wrote:... because more and more people who are repulsed by these antics are leaving the Republican party ...
Do you have a cite that shows this is true IRL?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

flockofseagulls104

#321 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 am

So, using thinly veiled racial slurs against a political opponent
Why does everything come down to race with you?

silverscreenselect

#322 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:09 am

So, using thinly veiled racial slurs against a political opponent
Why does everything come down to race with you?
The question is why does Trump have to bring race into these debates over and over again, using just enough covering language to allow his followers to claim it's not racial.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 902837001/

silverscreenselect

#323 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:17 am

Estonut wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:... because more and more people who are repulsed by these antics are leaving the Republican party ...
There's plenty of anecdotal evidence including well known conservatives like George Will and Steve Schmidt. But, here are some statistics

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html

https://www.salon.com/2017/05/18/young- ... s_partner/

Trump is maintaining his support level among Republicans because Republicans are more and more likely to be Trump supporters.

jarnon

#324 Post by jarnon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 am

Estonut wrote:
According to the Gallup poll, the number of people who say they're Republicans hasn't changed in the last few years.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#325 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:30 am

jarnon wrote:
Estonut wrote:
According to the Gallup poll, the number of people who say they're Republicans hasn't changed in the last few years.
Well, from February 1, 2017 (the first poll in Trump's presidency) until now, it's dropped 5%. Or to put it another way, about 1/6 of the people who said they were Republicans at the time of Trump's inauguration no longer identify as such.