ABC Cancels "Roseanne"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

ABC Cancels "Roseanne"

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 am

Hours after Roseanne Barr sent out a tweet about former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett (one that I won't repeat), ABC has announced they are cancelling Roseanne's highly rated TV series, one of the ratings highlights of ABC's recent season. Barr deleted the tweet and apologized for it as a "bad joke," (which seems to be a common refrain whenever someone makes a particularly offensive, inexcusable comment).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 650973002/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: ABC Cancels "Roseanne"

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 pm

That's too bad. Perhaps the NFL will invite her to sing the National Anthem at the season opener....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Perhaps it will be replaced by the Michelle Wolf Show.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 29, 2018 12:13 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Perhaps it will be replaced by the Michelle Wolf Show.
Flock, you've shown that you can be as funny as Roseanne.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm

flock:

Gee, I unfortunately have read Barr's racist remark.

Can you refresh me with any racist remark Michelle Wolf has made?

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Well, ABC can move the Alec Baldwin Show to Roseanne's time slot, since Alec's behavior is apparently consistent with their views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J0-ZatDHug
https://pagesix.com/2013/11/26/msnbc-fi ... c-baldwin/

Of course, you think I'm somehow defending Roseanne. I'm not. She seems to be a drunk who can't control her mouth. I am pointing out the blatant hypocrisy that exists on the left.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 29, 2018 2:23 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Well, ABC can move the Alec Baldwin Show to Roseanne's time slot, since Alec's behavior is apparently consistent with their views.

Of course, you think I'm somehow defending Roseanne. I'm not. She seems to be a drunk who can't control her mouth. I am pointing out the blatant hypocrisy that exists on the left.
What "blatant hypocrisy"? They fired him.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Probably the most racist comments I've seen from a celebrity. I'm not really surprised as I've never thought of Rosanne as anything but trash. Even all the "pro-Trump" and "conservative" stuff about her made me uncomfortable and this is one of the reasons why. Folks will use her as a brush to paint conservatives and Republicans.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:19 pm

BackInTex wrote:Probably the most racist comments I've seen from a celebrity. I'm not really surprised as I've never thought of Rosanne as anything but trash. Even all the "pro-Trump" and "conservative" stuff about her made me uncomfortable and this is one of the reasons why. Folks will use her as a brush to paint conservatives and Republicans.
That's sorta my take, too. Plus, the one episode I saw was so hamhanded and not particularily funny I'm surprised it lasted this long. She'll probably milk this for whatever nutball length of time and become a "victim", too.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:Probably the most racist comments I've seen from a celebrity. I'm not really surprised as I've never thought of Rosanne as anything but trash. Even all the "pro-Trump" and "conservative" stuff about her made me uncomfortable and this is one of the reasons why. Folks will use her as a brush to paint conservatives and Republicans.
That's sorta my take, too. Plus, the one episode I saw was so hamhanded and not particularily funny I'm surprised it lasted this long. She'll probably milk this for whatever nutball length of time and become a "victim", too.
I have really enjoyed her show (including this season) and I'm sad that it came to this, but there's no question in my mind that ABC made the right decision. It's too bad that so much talent (and I do consider her talent to be responsible for much of the show) is packaged with so much ugliness of the soul. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Well, ABC can move the Alec Baldwin Show to Roseanne's time slot, since Alec's behavior is apparently consistent with their views.

What "blatant hypocrisy"? They fired him.
Apparently he currently has a 'talk' show on ABC. And I don't think his career has suffered, what ever it is....

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
I don't think I ever watched a full episode bitd, and didn't see any compelling reason to catch the reboot. I'm watching less and less network tv all the time, it seems. Lots of HGTV and Food Channel.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 29, 2018 4:20 pm

And, on a somewhat-related subject, while the NFL is working itself into a tizzy about players not standing for the national anthem, Roseanne's rendition of the anthem before an MLB game was one for the record books. I wonder how many right wingers either forgave or forgot that particular event.

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 4:35 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
And, on a somewhat-related subject, while the NFL is working itself into a tizzy about players not standing for the national anthem, Roseanne's rendition of the anthem before an MLB game was one for the record books. I wonder how many right wingers either forgave or forgot that particular event.
Not many have forgiven. Can’t say how many forgot. I’ve done neither.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:08 pm

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
Not many have forgiven. Can’t say how many forgot. I’ve done neither.
I enjoyed the first two years of the original show when I watched it

She screeched the anthem - never watched her again.

I always believed that being asked to sing the anthem at events is an honor.

There are people who may not sing the anthem well but don't set out to trash it. Her rendition was not one of those times.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Barr deleted the tweet and apologized for it as a "bad joke," (which seems to be a common refrain whenever someone makes a particularly offensive, inexcusable comment).
You've been questioning my memory here lately. Am I incorrect (or misremembering) that you sang the exact same common refrain when you were called out on, possibly, the most racist comment ever posted here?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mellytu74

#17 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:18 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
That's sorta my take, too. Plus, the one episode I saw was so hamhanded and not particularily funny I'm surprised it lasted this long. She'll probably milk this for whatever nutball length of time and become a "victim", too.[/q

Remember, there are plenty of people crossed the aisle to vote for Trump. They have to OWN the fact that they are comfortable with racism.

I know plenty of conservatives who I think of as Jack Kemp conservatives. I am pretty sure they are not racists.
At least I like to think so.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:22 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
That's sorta my take, too. Plus, the one episode I saw was so hamhanded and not particularily funny I'm surprised it lasted this long. She'll probably milk this for whatever nutball length of time and become a "victim", too.[/q

Remember, there are plenty of people crossed the aisle to vote for Trump. They have to OWN the fact that they are comfortable with racism.

I know plenty of conservatives who I think of as Jack Kemp conservatives. I am pretty sure they are not racists.
What specifically can you cite as Trump racism, other than redlining back in the day, which may apply to many real estate owners?
Well, then

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

What specifically can you cite as Trump racism, other than redlining back in the day, which may apply to many real estate owners?
I believe it was when he said everyone that worked at 7-11s came from Pakistan. Am I remebering that correctly?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#20 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

I was thinking more about what BiT was saying - concern about painting conservatives with a broad brush because of this.

And that not everyone who voted for Trump would characterize themselves as conservatives.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:37 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:

I was thinking more about what BiT was saying - concern about painting conservatives with a broad brush because of this.

And that not everyone who voted for Trump would characterize themselves as conservatives.
Um, that didn't really address the whole owning comfort with racism...
Well, then

ghostjmf

#22 Post by ghostjmf » Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Oh, there's plenty racism from Trump. Against all Mexicans. Against all people from what he called "shithole countries". Against all Muslims. Talking about the avowed racists at Charlottesville as "good people".

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:47 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Oh, there's plenty racism from Trump. Against all Mexicans. Against all people from what he called "shithole countries". Against all Muslims. Talking about the avowed racists at Charlottesville as "good people".
These are lies and you know it. Understand you hate his guts but don't be ridiculous.
Well, then

ghostjmf

#24 Post by ghostjmf » Tue May 29, 2018 6:54 pm

These are things Trump has said. Hard for me to get links to copy on this tablet. You actually haven't listened to his speeches? These are the last things his center- Republican supporters would get behind, but he's said them all. "Rapists from Mexico". Like we don't have our very own.

BackInTex

#25 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 7:06 pm

ghostjmf wrote:These are things Trump has said. Hard for me to get links to copy on this tablet. You actually haven't listened to his speeches? These are the last things his center- Republican supporters would get behind, but he's said them all. "Rapists from Mexico". Like we don't have our very own.

I've listened to some of Trump's speeches. I've listened to some of Biden's, some of Obama's, some of both Clinton's, and if one were to come at each from specific worldviews, all of the could be called racists.

Do you think adding to the number of rapists we have in this country is a good thing, or bad thing. Yes or No?

Do you think there are rapists among the illegal immigrants from Mexico (and other countries)? Yes or No?

He did not say the avowed racists at Charlottesville were good people. He just didn't. There were two sides at Charlottesville. One side was protesting statues of dead men. The other was essentially protesting those protesting. Neither side was 100% "good people" and neither side was 100% "bad people". Believe it or not, there are some rather good people that do not think removing historical statues is a good idea.

Believe it or not, just because someone doesn't agree with you they are not a bad person.

And most of them can successfully navigate the internet on any device.
~~ Thomas Jefferson