ABC Cancels "Roseanne"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: ABC Cancels "Roseanne"

#26 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:10 pm

Where did my post go?

Never mind. I'm going back to the puzzle

ghostjmf

#27 Post by ghostjmf » Tue May 29, 2018 7:15 pm

BiT:

Re internet navigation claim:

Prove you can do it on an Alcatel 30 8" whatever. Or my previous Alcatel thingie, which was even worse.

If I could afford it, I'd have whatever Samsung thingie is best without catching fire in my backpack. Which would keep me in Android Universe & at the very least take much better pictures.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Tue May 29, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#28 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:These are things Trump has said. Hard for me to get links to copy on this tablet. You actually haven't listened to his speeches? These are the last things his center- Republican supporters would get behind, but he's said them all. "Rapists from Mexico". Like we don't have our very own.

I've listened to some of Trump's speeches. I've listened to some of Biden's, some of Obama's, some of both Clinton's, and if one were to come at each from specific worldviews, all of the could be called racists.

Do you think adding to the number of rapists we have in this country is a good thing, or bad thing. Yes or No?

Do you think there are rapists among the illegal immigrants from Mexico (and other countries)? Yes or No?

He did not say the avowed racists at Charlottesville were good people. He just didn't. There were two sides at Charlottesville. One side was protesting statues of dead men. The other was essentially protesting those protesting. Neither side was 100% "good people" and neither side was 100% "bad people". Believe it or not, there are some rather good people that do not think removing historical statues is a good idea.

Believe it or not, just because someone doesn't agree with you they are not a bad person.

And most of them can successfully navigate the internet on any device.
Donny was saying that rapists and other violent criminals were overrepresented among Mexican immigrants. That was simply a lie, and one that played to his racist supporters. They are in fact underrepresented among immigrants (including specifically Mexican immigrants) when compared to numbers among native-born United States citizens.

Donny claimed that people celebrated on New Jersey rooftops when the World Trade Center came down. That was a lie, and one that played to his racist supporters. Nothing of the sort happened.

Donny claimed that President Obama was not a native-born citizen, and that he had proof. That was a lie, and one that played to his racist supporters. President Obama was born in Hawaii and Donny certainly never had proof to the contrary.

And when you occupy the Oval Office and you say people marching in support of neo-Nazis include some "very good people" (one of whom deliberately killed a protester with his car), you're playing to your racist supporters. It takes willful blindness not to see that.

I have no idea whether Donny actually believes the crap he peddles. But there's no way in hell that he doesn't understand exactly what he's selling, and who's buying it. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#29 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:17 pm

mellytu74 wrote:Where did my post go?

Page 1 of the thread, probably. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#30 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

No. Not the previous two or three.

This was a response to Beebs re: how people who voted for Trump for legitimate concerns and reasons re: economics/jobs etc. now have to own that it also allowed xenophobes to flourish. Unintended consquences and all that. Classifying people as "others" is a dangerous mindset to have.

But it was articulate and well-thought out.

In the interim, the game has ended and Miss Denise has thrown up on the floor, so I am really not able to recreate it.

ghostjmf

#31 Post by ghostjmf » Tue May 29, 2018 7:47 pm

mellytu74:

I keep having my connection to the board conk out. I try to post & the board asks me to log in again. There are those who will claim it is because "I don't know how to use the internet" (which I've been on under multiple operating systems since 1985) but I'd say its the board.

I find under this circumstance hitting the back arrow sometimes gets my post back. But I still can't post it. I have to open a new window to the board, go back to window of post & copy whole post, which generally *does* work on this tablet (I can edit out repeat material later), drop it into new window & post it.

Hope this helps.

When I remember to, I do one-line posts & then edit next stuff into them. That usually guarantees a post I don't lose.

When I remember to.

BackInTex

#32 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Donny was saying that rapists and other violent criminals were overrepresented among Mexican immigrants. That was simply a lie, and one that played to his racist supporters. They are in fact underrepresented among immigrants (including specifically Mexican immigrants) when compared to numbers among native-born United States citizens.
There are many many unsolved rapes. Those are the rapes that are reported. 69% of rapes are not reported. Only 6% lead to an arrest, meaning in 94% of rapes the background of the rapist is not known. That means, your statistics above are a lie. There is no way to determine the representation of any group within the population of rapists.

Bob78164 wrote:Donny claimed that people celebrated on New Jersey rooftops when the World Trade Center came down. That was a lie, and one that played to his racist supporters. Nothing of the sort happened.
There is no proof there was a celebration. But there is also no proof there wasn't. You nor anyone else have video of every New Jersey rooftop that day. There were reports of it. That part is true.
Bob78164 wrote:And when you occupy the Oval Office and you say people marching in support of neo-Nazis include some "very good people" (one of whom deliberately killed a protester with his car), you're playing to your racist supporters. It takes willful blindness not to see that.
He did not say that. You are making it up. Maybe Flock was right.

I have no idea whether you actually believe the crap you peddle. But there's no way in hell that you don't understand exactly what you're selling, but I doubt you know who's buying.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#33 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 8:03 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

This was a response to Beebs re: how people who voted for Trump for legitimate concerns and reasons re: economics/jobs etc. now have to own that it also allowed xenophobes to flourish. Unintended consquences and all that. Classifying people as "others" is a dangerous mindset to have.

In the interim, the game has ended and Miss Denise has thrown up on the floor, so I am really not able to recreate it.
Your post is still there. Tell me why I have to be "comfortable" with racism if those that voted for Hillary don't have to be "comfortable" with sexual assault?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#34 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:06 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Donny was saying that rapists and other violent criminals were overrepresented among Mexican immigrants. That was simply a lie, and one that played to his racist supporters. They are in fact underrepresented among immigrants (including specifically Mexican immigrants) when compared to numbers among native-born United States citizens.
There are many many unsolved rapes. Those are the rapes that are reported. 69% of rapes are not reported. Only 6% lead to an arrest, meaning in 94% of rapes the background of the rapist is not known. That means, your statistics above are a lie. There is no way to determine the representation of any group within the population of rapists.

Bob78164 wrote:Donny claimed that people celebrated on New Jersey rooftops when the World Trade Center came down. That was a lie, and one that played to his racist supporters. Nothing of the sort happened.
There is no proof there was a celebration. But there is also no proof there wasn't. You nor anyone else have video of every New Jersey rooftop that day. There were reports of it. That part is true.
Bob78164 wrote:And when you occupy the Oval Office and you say people marching in support of neo-Nazis include some "very good people" (one of whom deliberately killed a protester with his car), you're playing to your racist supporters. It takes willful blindness not to see that.
He did not say that. You are making it up. Maybe Flock was right.

I have no idea whether you actually believe the crap you peddle. But there's no way in hell that you don't understand exactly what you're selling, but I doubt you know who's buying.
Careful, BiT. I wouldn't want you to hurt your back contorting yourself to normalize, rationalize, and excuse the crap Donny is peddling. --Bob

BackInTex

#35 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Careful, BiT. I wouldn't want you to hurt your back contorting yourself to normalize, rationalize, and excuse the crap Donny is peddling. --Bob
Let me simplify everything.

Trump makes stuff up. So do you. You are more like him than you know.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#36 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:22 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Careful, BiT. I wouldn't want you to hurt your back contorting yourself to normalize, rationalize, and excuse the crap Donny is peddling. --Bob
Let me simplify everything.

Trump makes stuff up. So do you. You are more like him than you know.
I'm not making up a damn thing. My imagination isn't that good.

And when Donny makes stuff up (as you have now agreed he does), it's frequently in support of racism (which is obvious from, you know, his actual words). Which is what I said. --Bob

BackInTex

#37 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 8:23 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I'm not making up a damn thing.
Now I will add lying to the list.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#38 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:34 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Don't go there. --Bob

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#39 Post by kayrharris » Tue May 29, 2018 8:43 pm

I see not much has changed around here! I wish we had no party system - it's ridiculous to be "labeled" and "included" with a bunch of whackos, of which there are plenty in both parties! When will we learn we're never going to change anyone's opinion. Why try? Why continue to call people names...people we know and respect? It's sad.

Kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

BackInTex

#40 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Don't go there. --Bob
Then stop.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#41 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:55 pm

BackInTex wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Page 1 of the thread, probably. --Bob

Your post is still there. Tell me why I have to be "comfortable" with racism if those that voted for Hillary don't have to be "comfortable" with sexual assault?
No. Not that post. A completely different post. That isn't there.

I don't think anyone should be comfortable with either. I didn't think I implied that you were or had to be. If so, mea maxima culpa because that was not my intention.

I was thinking of people I know who voted for him for economic reasons, thinking some of his more outrageous statements would be tamped down -- once he started concentrating on infrastructure and such. These were things said to me at our old neighborhood picnic in September of 2016. It has not been the case - either for tamping down or infrastructure.

As far as Hillary - are you referring to Bill Clinton? Or Anthony Weiner? Or someone else who is not Hillary?

OK - snark. Fully admit it.

As far as her marriage …. probably not the path I would have chosen but they stuck it out with each other. For whatever reasons - maybe they like each other. Companionship. Power -- maybe she is Lady Macbeth.

I know I did not vote for Bill Clinton in 1996 for re-election. I'd just left DC that spring and was pretty soured on the Clinton Administration. I left it blank - we had Congress and lots of local elections (not Senate though).

As a Tom Harkin delegate, I was not comfortable with him in 1992 but I voted for him. Held my nose. I had co-workers who were all in - the Saxophone Club and everything. I couldn't do that. And I went to an inaugural ball - because I had no idea if I would ever get the chance again. And the ticket was free.

Do you vote for a person with whom you disagree or with whom you agree (even though it's less agreement than others of your leanings) -- did I enable? I have live with it. I own it. I have to.

Had Bush won reelection, I would have been fine with that because he is a decent, honorable man.

I believe some of our lesser angels have been unleashed. They were always there, of course, but now they are freer, more public. Labeling people as "others" does us no good as society or as human beings.

I believe there is a cause-and-effect with Trump's election. I do not think that Donald Trump has the capacity for decency and honor that GHW Bush had.

I am going to look at Denise and have a good cry.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#42 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Don't go there. --Bob
Then stop.
Dude, it's one thing to say I'm wrong. I get that we don't see Donny the same way. But when you call me a liar you're saying I'm deliberately making statements that I know or believe to be false, and that I won't tolerate.

Nor will I be bullied (cyber- or otherwise) into not calling it as I see it. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#43 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 pm

BackInTex wrote:Trump makes stuff up. So do you.
Trump makes stuff up to pander to the baser elements of his base, knowing that lots of others (including a number on this bored) will rationalize, claim it's fake news or a witch hunt, bring up irrelevant points, claim things were taken out of perspective, make excuses, cover, and explain his statements away.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#44 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 pm

BiT wrote:Do you think adding to the number of rapists we have in this country is a good thing or bad thing.
No, and I think we need to get one out of the White House.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#45 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Trump makes stuff up to pander to the baser elements of his base,
And that is different from other politicians because......?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#46 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BiT wrote:Do you think adding to the number of rapists we have in this country is a good thing or bad thing.
No, and I think we need to get one out of the White House.
Term limits did that in 2001
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#47 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 pm

BackInTex wrote:
This is exactly what I mean when I talk about normalizing Donny. What Donny is doing by frankly pandering to racists is not equivalent that anything any other national politician has done since the '60s. And Donny's consistent complete, total, and utter disregard for the truth is, as far as I can tell, completely unprecedented in American political history (again, among prominent politicians).

What he's doing to our country isn't normal. Claiming this is just business as usual makes it normal. I won't agree to that. Neither should anyone else. --Bob

ghostjmf

#48 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 30, 2018 9:08 am

Now she's blaming Ambien. So the makers of Ambien have issued a statement that it doesn't make you racist. Seriously.

flockofseagulls104

#49 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:25 am

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
This is exactly what I mean when I talk about normalizing Donny. What Donny is doing by frankly pandering to racists is not equivalent that anything any other national politician has done since the '60s. And Donny's consistent complete, total, and utter disregard for the truth is, as far as I can tell, completely unprecedented in American political history (again, among prominent politicians).

What he's doing to our country isn't normal. Claiming this is just business as usual makes it normal. I won't agree to that. Neither should anyone else. --Bob
The main thing that is not 'normal' is the left's definition of 'racism', which they are using to divide our country and to hit their opponents over the head with. Trump, to my knowledge, has never said ANYTHING that indicates that he thinks 'white' people, or any other racial group, is better or superior than any other. That is the true definition of 'racism'. What he does is make a distinction between people who are legitimate citizens of this country, along with those who have followed the legal steps to live or be in this country, and those who ignore the laws and enter this country illegally. A distinction that has always been non-controversial until recently.

Somehow, that distinction has been blurred. Every time I see a 'news' story where illegal aliens are grouped together in the term 'immigrants', it is concerning to me. Why is it 'racist' to make a distinction between those who complied with our laws to be in our country and those who ignore our laws? Yes, we all know they are people, and they are deserving of compassion, but they made a conscious decision to break the law, regardless of their circumstances. And it just so happens that the majority of the people who are in this group come from south of the border. And why is it 'racist' to be concerned that people who are entering this country anonomously and without any vetting may pose a danger to the existing citizens? Isn't that why we, and every other civilized country, have immigration laws, passports and visas?

Branding trump, or anyone else as a racist because they make the distinction between legal and illegal immigration is WRONG. And it is a form of bias and intolerance all by itself. And many people are coming to that conclusion, and are frankly tired of it.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

ghostjmf

#50 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 am

Trump called law-abiding applicants for citizenship from some countries as being from "shithole" countries & said he wanted immigrants from Norway.

And you think that's not racist.

Those Vikings weren't a cup of tea, by the way.