Serious Praise for Trump

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Serious Praise for Trump

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 25, 2018 4:27 am

There's no snark here this time.

Yes, there may have been politics behind it, but pardoning Jack Johnson was a very good thing for Trump to do. It's something that was long overdue, but neither Clinton nor Obama did anything about it during their presidencies. And Trump did it without the usual fanfare that accompanies a lot of what he does. So, I'll unreservedly applaud him for this one.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Pastor Fireball

Re: Serious Praise for Trump

#2 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri May 25, 2018 5:01 am

Reportedly, this happened as a result of a phone call from Sylvester Stallone, and Sly was even there for the pardon announcement. I can only imagine that phone conversation between Sly and Estodrumpf--the back-and-forths of Sly's slurred mumbling and Estodrumpf's shrill mumbling.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Fri May 25, 2018 5:26 am

In the light of today, there are crimes against women he had relations with that were prosecutable, I've read. But we're just starting to prosecute perpetrators for these crimes today.

What Johnson was sent to jail for was transporting a willing, above-the-age-of-consent woman accross state lines to a place where they had sexual relations. The only "crime" was that the woman was white.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 25, 2018 6:50 am

ghostjmf wrote:In the light of today, there are crimes against women he had relations with that were prosecutable, I've read. But we're just starting to prosecute perpetrators for these crimes today.

What Johnson was sent to jail for was transporting a willing, above-the-age-of-consent woman accross state lines to a place where they had sexual relations. The only "crime" was that the woman was white.

I'd say the "crime" was that he was black. Had he been white and her black or white, no "crime". Had she been black, no "crime". It was HIS skin color that was the deciding factor.

Good for Trump. Good for SSS for acknowledging it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 25, 2018 7:26 am

BackInTex wrote: I'd say the "crime" was that he was black. Had he been white and her black or white, no "crime". Had she been black, no "crime". It was HIS skin color that was the deciding factor.
There was a second "crime" that he wasn't charged for, namely being black and a success at a white sport in which he beat the crap out of the white former world champion. That was just as big a factor in his legal problems.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

#6 Post by franktangredi » Fri May 25, 2018 9:02 am

BackInTex wrote: Good for Trump. Good for SSS for acknowledging it.
Can we preserve this moment in amber?

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Fri May 25, 2018 11:07 am

BackInTex wrote:I'd say the "crime" was that he was black. Had he been white and her black or white, no "crime". Had she been black, no "crime". It was HIS skin color that was the deciding factor.

Good for Trump. Good for SSS for acknowledging it.
It's hard to judge a hypothetical case where their skin colors are reversed, but I know from the movie Loving that any sort of interracial couple was treated harshly.

Thank you, Pres. Trump.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Fri May 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Story reminds me a little bit of one of the few George MacDonald Fraser books that I have not almost memorized.

I should re-read it as I get a lot out of repeated re-readings of his stuff.

"Black Ajax" based on the true story of a black American boxer who boxed in England circa 1815.

More than that I can not remember as it has been a long time.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 am

franktangredi wrote:
BackInTex wrote: Good for Trump. Good for SSS for acknowledging it.
Can we preserve this moment in amber?
No. Someone might dig it up in the future and use it to create monsters. :mrgreen:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."