RSVP

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

RSVP

#1 Post by BackInTex » Sun May 27, 2018 11:47 pm

My daughter #2 is getting married June 15th.

Not surprising the lack of understanding or courtesy these days. We have to give the caterer and venue a final headcount Tuesday. We still had over 120 of 355 invitees that had not RSVP'd by the requested date, mostly family members. :?

Anyway, a "friend" had the best response to our text follow ups.

Them: We are closing on our house that day. Sorry, can't make it.
Mrs BiT: How late can a closing be on a Friday? The wedding is at 6:00?
Them: We need to move in, too.
Mrs BiT: Y'all need a break. We haven't seen you in so long.

Yeah, like they are going to move in immediately, that night.

I told my wife to let it be. The message was delivered, both ways.

So far 193 accepted, 101 declines, and still 61 non-responses after our texts/emails. I'm estimating 15-20 more acceptances, so I'm buying dinner and drinks for about 210. :|

Someone on FB commented about me having a 2nd wedding so soon (18 months since the last one). I have one more daughter. I told them I hope to have a little more time before the next one. My daughter #3 chimed in "you've got at least 5 years".

My daughter #3 attended a friend's wedding last weekend. She posted a picture on FB "It was all going great, until I caught the bouquet." :shock:
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

Re: RSVP

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Mon May 28, 2018 6:40 am

OK, since I'm not asking my friends (in their early 20s) who are getting married next weekend (yes, I did RSVP; I only *wish* I was closing on a house instead), why the late-in-day wedding? Theirs is at 5:00pm.

I would guess some other party has the place reserved earlier in the day & this is still the best date for the families?

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 28, 2018 7:30 am

ghostjmf wrote:OK, since I'm not asking my friends (in their early 20s) who are getting married next weekend (yes, I did RSVP; I only *wish* I was closing on a house instead), why the late-in-day wedding? Theirs is at 5:00pm.

I would guess some other party has the place reserved earlier in the day & this is still the best date for the families?
We have the place the entire day. Ours is at 6:00 because we are having dinner catered afterwards, along with dancing and the regular wedding festivities (1st Dance, Father of the Bride/Daughter dance, Mother of the Groom/Son dance, cake eating, bouquet toss, garter toss). It will be a full evening affair. They plan to do their "escape" about 10:00. They may come back after the "older folks" have left to further celebrate with friends. We have the place until 1:00 AM.

One of the things that is popular here is to have your wedding at a dedicated venue (wedding service and party afterwards, same place). It's a huge business here. There are probably 30 places within 50 miles that are exclusive to weddings. The place we are having ours is booked more than a year out for Saturdays (ours is a Friday).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 28, 2018 7:57 am

I guess my invitation got lost in the mail, but I'm sorry we won't be able to make it.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:46 am

Don't forget when your son gets married. You'll need to keep your checkbook ready...
Well, then

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Don't forget when your son gets married. You'll need to keep your checkbook ready...
That one will be much less out of pocket....Rehearsal dinner, tuxes, and maybe the bar tab depending on his fiancee's family.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 28, 2018 1:05 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:I guess my invitation got lost in the mail, but I'm sorry we won't be able to make it.
Yeah, we've had problems with our local post office. I'll mark you as "regrets". Thanks
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:06 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Don't forget when your son gets married. You'll need to keep your checkbook ready...
That one will be much less out of pocket....Rehearsal dinner, tuxes, and maybe the bar tab depending on his fiancee's family.
$5000+ unless you do bbq like ours did...
Well, then

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 28, 2018 7:29 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
What did you pay for? From what I've been told, the groom's side typically pays for the rehearsal dinner (which includes only the wedding party, pastor, and immediate family) and grooms cake. Other than that, it's really up to what they want to contribute. For daughter #1, they paid the DJ. For this one, just the standard stuff. Maybe $2,000.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:57 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
What did you pay for? From what I've been told, the groom's side typically pays for the rehearsal dinner (which includes only the wedding party, pastor, and immediate family) and grooms cake. Other than that, it's really up to what they want to contribute. For daughter #1, they paid the DJ. For this one, just the standard stuff. Maybe $2,000.
I may have exaggerated. Maybe 3500.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:03 pm

I think we sprang for some rooms, too.
Well, then

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I may have exaggerated. Maybe 3500.
Better. That's almost free, comparatively. :)
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:03 pm

BTW - thought I responded to this earlier.

Jeez, completely rude! Uncalled for. :(

Sorry you and the other BiTs have to put up with that.

The one venue concept also becoming a big thing here. Thursday evening through nights, Friday afternoon through evening/nights also increasingly popular.

Have a wonderful, beautiful time!!

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 29, 2018 8:05 pm

mellytu74 wrote:BTW - thought I responded to this earlier.

Jeez, completely rude! Uncalled for. :(

Sorry you and the other BiTs have to put up with that.

The one venue concept also becoming a big thing here. Thursday evening through nights, Friday afternoon through evening/nights also increasingly popular.

Have a wonderful, beautiful time!!
Thanks! We are down to 12 non-responses. Up to 218 guest. I'm gonna need a bigger wallet.
~~ Thomas Jefferson