Question for Bob ###'s

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Question for Bob ###'s

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 am

Whose idea was this moronic California "top two" primary system? It seems like there will be several competitive districts in which one party may be shut out altogether, simply because of how many candidates from each party are running.

Ironically, I now have a Democratic State Senator here in Georgia because the same system was used in the special election that was held here last fall (I'm not optimistic that my Senator will be re-elected this fall). But we had two serious Democratic candidates split about 45% of the vote evenly, which was enough to beat out four serious Republicans who split 55% of the vote evenly.

I realize it's possible in California for the Republicans to be shut out of the Senate (which also happened in 2016) and Governor's races, which may depress election day turnout, but that's small consolation if the Republicans get several walkover wins in Congressional races.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Question for Bob ###'s

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:47 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Whose idea was this moronic California "top two" primary system? It seems like there will be several competitive districts in which one party may be shut out altogether, simply because of how many candidates from each party are running.

Ironically, I now have a Democratic State Senator here in Georgia because the same system was used in the special election that was held here last fall (I'm not optimistic that my Senator will be re-elected this fall). But we had two serious Democratic candidates split about 45% of the vote evenly, which was enough to beat out four serious Republicans who split 55% of the vote evenly.

I realize it's possible in California for the Republicans to be shut out of the Senate (which also happened in 2016) and Governor's races, which may depress election day turnout, but that's small consolation if the Republicans get several walkover wins in Congressional races.
I like it, notwithstanding the potential partisan consequences. To solve that particular problem, the Democrats simply need to coordinate better. They're Democrats, so that may be a stretch, but I still have hope. We'll see what happens next week.

The system essentially came from Sen. Abel Maldonado, a moderate Republican. Roughly 15 years ago during the Schwarzenegger Administration, the California Legislature needed a two-thirds majority to pass a budget. They were a vote short in the Senate. Maldonado traded his vote for an agreement to put three reforms on the ballot. One of those was the top-two primary system, and it passed.

The reason I like it, by the way, is districts like mine, which is as safe a Democratic district as there is. Under the old system, my Representative might have to worry about getting primaried, but she wouldn't have to worry about losing the general. The possibility of getting primaried would drive her to the left. Under top-two, she has an incentive to tack toward the center, because the more likely threat to her electoral prospects is a moderate Democrat who can attract significant Democratic support but also can consolidate Republicans. This gives Republicans in my district an honest-to-goodness voice in what's going on, when in a traditional system they'd be electorally irrelevant. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Question for Bob ###'s

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:48 am

It looks like each House race in California will feature at least 1 Democrat in the general. I think there are a couple of bright blue districts where the general will either have two Democrats or a Democrat and a Green, but in the races that were the subject of angst going into the election, it looks like a Democrat will end up second in each of them.

I'll be particularly interested in the 25th Congressional District, which is a bit north of me. I found Katie Hill sufficiently inspirational that I departed from my usual practice of not choosing among Democrats in a contested primary outside my District, and sent a little money her way. Based on the latest results I've seen, it looks like she'll survive a tough battle to get to the general. If that holds up (and if I'm not too busy at work), I may well volunteer for her campaign. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson